Terrible day to be working cattle in the heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’re all exhausted. Cattle were as stressed out as can be. One guy got knocked down and trampled by a heifer. He may have a broken finger. Did all that hard work for nothing. Had the trailers all ready to haul cattle to sale barn. And then at the end of the morning, boss says no to selling any.

tough day for sure. I hate working cattle in the this heat. Cattle get agitated and salty and the cowboys get angry and impatient and those two things never work well together.

Often results in a cowboy or cattle getting hurt. Hate all the effort was for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by FarFromHome View Post
      tough day for sure. I hate working cattle in the this heat. Cattle get agitated and salty and the cowboys get angry and impatient and those two things never work well together.

Often results in a cowboy or cattle getting hurt. Hate all the effort was for nothing.
      Especially black cattle... we used to work angus cattle and the temperament changed much quicker than the rest! Don’t miss those days!

Comment

Tough day for sure! We’d always be on horseback right at sun up because of the heat. Cattle were easy to pen so it didn’t take but a few hours to get done. What was the reason boss man decided not to sell??

Comment

Yup, used to have to work cattle... No Sir, do not miss that one bit!! I grew to have a hatred for cattle that is probably sinful, but probably one reason I like ribeyes so much... I know a cow has to die for me to have one... I eat 'em regular as I can!

Comment

Originally posted by ostey22 View Post
            Tough day for sure! We’d always be on horseback right at sunlight because of the heat. Cattle were easy to pen so it didn’t take but a few hours to get done. What was the reason boss man decided not to sell??
            We started before sunrise. Had so many head to move today that it took most of the morning. Still not done, but we’ll start again tomorrow. Might be at it the rest of the week.

Boss decided to wait until steers gain more weight. That’s the reason I was given. Last time, they kept holding off and the price kept dropping. Didn’t work out well. Makes it really tough on us since the boss won’t hire extra hands. We’re spread too thin on several thousand acres.

Comment

Super Punchers.....Cattle Battle https://youtu.be/x3Hszoh-dDI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I cut four steers off last night and hauled the to the barn. Had to bring the whole herd up to do it. Fed them in the pens then let the rest out when they wanted to go. Took 3x as long but the cattle stayed calm. Was still hot as crap. I need to preg check some heifers but I really don't want to put them through it right now.

Comment

Yeah that’s never fun

Comment

Not much fun building this deck either

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post

That guy is somethin else, he shot that video and some others on my deer lease. He's a really nice guy, stops by camp occaisionally.

Comment

Lmao on the superpuncher

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post

He cracks me up

Comment

Was out all day working on a hay cutter, took more breaks then usual

Comment

Yea I have never understood pennin cattle during this time of the year unless it’s absolutely necessary. Cows/dogs/horses/hands get too hot and Ive seen dogs and cows die from it when it was senseless and could’ve been done in the fall

Comment

Working...
                              X