Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle Scopes - EXPERTS School Me!!

Originally posted by ducks-and-bucks View Post
    I need to questions answered up in the original post, mainly the focal plane and zero stop thing cleared up for me...
    First focal plane is good if you will be ranging and using the reticle for doping wind and drop. The reticle size grows as you increase zoom so you can use it accurately at any power setting. Second focal plane the reticle will stay the same size through the zoom range and the ranging function will only be accurate at a single certain power setting.

Zero stop just means that once you have your scope zeroed, that you will set the zero stop to that. That way hen you dial in elevation you can accurately and repeatable return to zero.

Comment

I won't buy a Swarovski, I've never been impressed, and they are over priced for what they are.

These guns are set up to be long range hunting, and long range target rigs. I have a zeiss conquest 6.5X24X50 z plex with target turrets, this scope works very well for what I do. I want more along the lines of this, and a little more..
      I agree that the Swarovski is better for hunting than target or long range where you will be dialing but the glass in a Zeiss Conquest scope is nowhere near the same league as Swarovski.

Comment

Nightforce NXS 5-22x with Zero Stop. Not cheap but will do what you're wanting.
        Last edited by texag93; 01-14-2013, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Following. I have been looking for a couple of months for something I would be happy with that was less $$ then a Nightforce. I haven't found it yet.

Comment

There are a lot of good scopes that will fit your bill. As many have said it depends on your budget. I'm by far no expert and really don't have enough knowledge to give you a good opinion and I am bias to one brand but here my little tid bit of info. If it were me I would buy a Leupold the power you desire, shoot it through a coronagraph (probably spelled that wrong) and send the speed, caliber and bullet weight etc.. to their custom show for them to fit CDS dials for your scope, load and gun. You should be able to get pretty dang close to where you want to be with a turn of a dial. There are a lot of people on this site that can give you some real help with true history and a wealth of knowledge even though this is a bow hunting site. Good luck and it will be fun!!!
            Last edited by KR-oldmexico; 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I'm fixing to post a review on the viper pst I bought. I'd really recommend giving it a chance.

Comment

My recommendations :

$1000 range - Vortex PST , Leu mk4

$1500-1800 range - NF

$2000 - Vortex razor

$2500 + range : US Optics , Premeir Reticals

$3000 + range : S&B , March ,
                Last edited by Cajun Blake; 01-14-2013, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Nightforce all the way!

Comment

Anyone have some top tier Leupold scopes they can post a review for? Or anyone pretty savy with the leupold stuff? Like what the VX3 gives to compared to the mark 4? I know Leupold does that custom stuff, its been on my mind to maybe do that, though its not totally necessary if you can use and know your turrets. IMO. Like I said, I have that zeiss conquest and I wanna stick to that same quality and better...

Comment

Budget is $800-$1500 a scope. I may do one scope that goes over that for a Lapua build I'm doing..

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
                        There are a lot of good scopes that will fit your bill. As many have said it depends on your budget. I'm by far no expert and really don't have enough knowledge to give you a good opinion and I am bias to one brand but here my little tid bit of info. If it were me I would buy a Leupold the power you desire, shoot it through a coronagraph (probably spelled that wrong) and send the speed, caliber and bullet weight etc.. to their custom show for them to fit CDS dials for your scope, load and gun. You should be able to get pretty dang close to where you want to be with a turn of a dial. There are a lot of people on this site that can give you some real help with true history and a wealth of knowledge even though this is a bow hunting site. Good luck and it will be fun!!!
                        CDS dials will get you close at ranges under 700yds. For distances beyond that, you need accurate weather information, ranging, ballistics data and a scope with repeatable adjustments for first hit shots.

Comment

....not to mention a good range finder for unknown distances. That will set you back a few more dollars.

Comment

I would look at Huskemaw.

Comment

Originally posted by WKH2213 View Post
                              I have the 10x42 SWFA on my 6.8 and I really like it alot.
                              Thinking of getting on to replace my VX3 on my 300wm
                              ^^this is what I have^^

Comment

Anyone have some top tier Leupold scopes they can post a review for? Or anyone pretty savy with the leupold stuff? Like what the VX3 gives to compared to the mark 4? I know Leupold does that custom stuff, its been on my mind to maybe do that, though its not totally necessary if you can use and know your turrets. IMO. Like I said, I have that zeiss conquest and I wanna stick to that same quality and better...
                                The Mark 4 uses VX3 glass. They just get more into Mil Dot reticles and exposed turrets.

I know the Nightforce scopes are built hell for stout but I'm not sure about the quality if the glass in them. Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to shoot through one.

Comment

Working...
                                X