VPA broad heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPA broad heads

I am thinking about trying some 125 grain non-vented VPA broad heads next year. I would like a few reviews from someone with first hand experience. Without going into any details I shot 4 deer this year and all were recovered within 100 but none left much of a blood trail. Before it even starts I’ve been down the mechanical road and not going back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used the vpa’s in various weights for quit some time. They are very well made, durable heads. Getting them sharp is easy. But the angle of the blade is not great for retaining a truly sharp edge while passing through an animal ( so may not cut the tougher arteries, but role them) Hole size is not great either, both of wich don’t help but blood on the ground. A head that has very sharp blades, durable, well made, can get a bigger hole ( helps a lot also) and retains a very sharp edge while passing through animals is the german kenitic. They make a 125 gr. XL that has a 1 1/2 inch cut.( they make one that’s 1 7/8 but weighs 175gr. 200 gr. And 250 gr.) I find they work great. But it still depends on what gets cut, as to how much bloods ends up on the ground. They are a two blade vs the three of the vpa and some say they don’t get a great blood trail with them either. But there are many heads ( about all of them really) that will help put blood on the ground if we do our part. These are some good heads I’ve used, exodus, slick tricks, magnus, steel force has several, Simmons and really nothing wrong with vpa, ithey all have go in the right spot. Lower holes help in blood trails as does two holes. But I like two of the biggest holes I can put through any animal.
    Last edited by critter69; 01-20-2019, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Ive only shot the VPA 175grains and theyve done great. I think theyre a solid product, literally and figuritively.

Comment

Blood trails are a product of arrow placement, and sharp broadheads, more so than hole size. At least that's my experience. You take out the arteries above the heart, or running towards the brain, and there will be blood.

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas. All of the shots were pretty much dead on, like I said before no deer made it more than 100 yards and the blood trail was minimal at best. I am going try the VPA broad heads mostly because of the ease of sharpening them myself. Hopefully I’ll get to try them in turkey season and see how they do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X