Funny Relationship Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny Relationship Stories

So my wife and I have been married going on 45 years. She says it’s been 30 of the best years of her life. (WTH ?)I came from an outdoors hunting and fishing family and she was basically a city girl. When we started dating the wildest thing she had ever eaten was a store bought chicken. Needless to say it was somewhat of a culture shock when we got married.

About a month after we were married,I came home from work and asked my new bride how her day was. She replied by saying that she came close to calling a lawyer and getting an annulment. I asked why she was upset. After all we really hadn’t been married long enough for me to mess up that bad. She replied by saying that my mom had paid her a visit and my mind was saying lord only knows where this is going to go.

Well my mom showed up saying that I know my son hasn’t had his favorite meal in a while so I brought him dinner. She was standing at the door with a covered dish so my young bride let her in. My wife took the dish and asked what it was. Mom replied that it was squirrel and dumplings. My bride thought it was a joke so she took the lid off of the dish and got a spoon and stirred it around a little bit. First she saw a leg then back and rib section and then the head popped up. At that particular time she told me that she felt like she had married into the Beverly Hillbillies. I told her that she didn’t have to eat it. But she just DEFINITELY needed to learn how to make it !!!

Good laugh to start the day.

Comment

Good story. Growing up when we ate squirrel, my dad would always eat the squirrel brain first. He loved them.

Comment

We may be kind folks. We always sorted young fryer squirrels from the old ones which dad called, "dumplers".

That's exactly where they went...In a pot of dumplings. Nothing is better.

Comment

Yep. Growing up poor.... squirrel and rabbit wasn't something we settled for.. it was something we looked forward to

Comment

i have heard of squirrel and dumplings, never had it, guess i never figured the thing was in there whole. i'm out.

Comment

I remember my Granny cooking the squirrel, removing the meat, then adding it to the pot with dumplings and cooking. Or maybe I blocked out a memory of pulling a squirrel head from my bowl as a small child.

Comment

For about 8 years in a row we would kill a bunch of squirrels and one of my guys mom would make us squirrel and dumplings for opening weekend. It always reminded me of when I was a kid growing up.

My grandfather used to get mad at me if I shot the young squirrels in the head. He would take the heads after a morning hunt, put them in a skillet, brown them and then throw in a bunch of eggs. A buddy went with me one morning and while we were cleaning the old ones my grandfather made breakfast, my buddy has never looked at scrambled eggs the same since that day.

Comment

Originally posted by bbbuck View Post
                  Good story. Growing up when we ate squirrel, my dad would always eat the squirrel brain first. He loved them.
                  My grandfather did the same. He'd eat em raw or mix them in with scrambled eggs.

Comment

Oh man, I could tell almost the exact same story from a couple different perspectives... One relating to the cooking and one related to the dumplin's...
                    Before we were married, my wife to be asked me what my favorite cake was, and at that particular time it was a pineapple cake that my mom made... Well, she asked my mom for the recipe... She was going to surprise me with it for dessert Saturday night over at her house (at the time, we lived across the street from one another)... Saturday night came and I went over for dinner and it was a lovely dinner with her and her parents.. While we were eating, I asked, "What's that smell?" "Well, it's a surprise I made for you. It's in the oven" she quipped all while getting up from the table and asking me to follow her into the kitchen... She proudly opened the door to the oven to show me her creation.... I blurted out the first thing that popped into my mind and I KNEW I'd dun messed up soon as the words left my mouff!! "That don't look like mamma's..." Slamed the oven door shut and... "Well you can just let your mamma fix it for you then!!"

The other was related to the dumplin's... My wife also was a "city slicker"... She'd never been camping before... We were married on Sept. 25... Squirrel season opened October 1st... I took her squirrel hunting and camping in the Big Thicket not far from the beautiful city of Thicket, Texas... Some of you know where that is... ain't far from Votaw, home of the famous AntlerCollector (or infamous)... Well back then, that area was still "The Big Thicket", and was thousands of acres of big timber along Pine Island Bayou... (It's all gone now except for a few small tracts... Timber companies destroyed most of the big thicket)... Anyway, first night out, we get all settled into our brand new pop up camper, and the lanterns slowly go dark, and I mean it was DARK in those woods!! Armadillos were rustling in the leaves, coyotes howled, and then "something" jumped onto the top of the fabric top of the pop up and rand around on it... Needless to say she did not sleep a wink all night... which meant neither did I!!

Well I'll cut the story short and just say we went out hunting and killed some squirrels... Back at camp, she had her first experience at helping me skin mine. My mom helped my dad... For lunch we had fried squirrels and sawmill gravy... and MAN was it good!!! My bride did in fact try it and said it was OK... She did eat the gravy with some potatoes and biscuits... For supper, mom had boiled several squirrels all cut up and made dumplin's... My dad and I picked out the heads first an put them on our plates... I spooned her some dumplin's and another leg... She gave me a look that to this very day, I don't think she's ever given me before or since... She was quiet and polite so far... That is until dad and I picked up those first heads and pulled the jaws apart and commenced to eating the tongues and cracking open the skull with a spoon and removed the brains... That was IT!! She started to cry and ran back to our camper and just lost it... She said, "You people are crazy! You'll eat anything!! I want to go home NOW and not home to our house, but HOME!!" Well, after a bit of consoling her and making her a promise to never bring home another squirrel head and expect that she would cook it so's I could eat it, she relented and stayed... That was over 46 years ago, and I ain't had squirrel head dumplin's since!!

Comment

And I'll add, there ain't a better piece of meat on this planet than a young cat squirrel that's fat on Hickory nuts (or hickernuts as they are properly known in East Texas)! Pecan fat squirrels come a close second though.

Comment

Well, my mom tells the same story my wife tells, because me and my dad both did the same thing 25 years apart. If you take your lady out varmint hunting, and you blow or play the call that they think sounds like something terrible dying, and the varmint stays just out of range, apparently it's not OK to do like a regular hunter and head in the direction of the varmint. Both my mom and my wife were convinced that their husbands "ran off" and "left them" to be "bait" for the varmints.

Comment

Oh and did I mention the first time I made turtle gumbo? To be continued……..

Comment

I grew up in a small pecan orchard. There were 3 traps and a lot of shooting year round. By the time we hit 10 we convinced my dad we never wanted to eat another squirrel, and he used them as compost from then on...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              And I'll add, there ain't a better piece of meat on this planet than a young cat squirrel that's fat on Hickory nuts (or hickernuts as they are properly known in East Texas)! Pecan fat squirrels come a close second though.
                              Splitting squirrel hairs here but the only thing better is a 3/4 grown fox squirrel fattened on hickernuts. Twice as much meat.

Comment

Working...
                              X