Bowfishing rig for 9 yo???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowfishing rig for 9 yo???

Haven't really looked into/researched online yet.

Thought I'd see what I could gather from TBH.

Ethan wants to try his hand at bowfishing.
    His draw length is 18" and he's pulling 26#s.
    Any advice on something that'd work for him?
    We want the complete set up.

Thanks for any info.

D.

Something he can draw as many times as close to his poundage as possible. A youth recurve is a good start. From my own experience, do not shorten the fiberglass arrows. I did it for my daughters and found they bounced off fish! Same setup with regular length fishing arrows on their 20 lb recurve and they did fine. Mass means a lot in hunting and especially bowfishing.

Comment

Mathews genesis pro

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
        Mathews genesis pro

X2. Beat me to it

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          X2. Beat me to it

X3

we have 4 of them that we use for our youth ministry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the pse discovery is essentially the same thing? 20-30LB and no let off so any length draw.

Comment

Does the mathews come in a fishing kit ?

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                Does the mathews come in a fishing kit ?
                No kit that I'm aware of, but all you would need is a rest and reel/reel seat of your choosing, and line/arrows. There are lots of bowfishing suppliers around on the web.

Comment

I would go with the recurve. That way the poundage goes up as he grows. His draw gets longer, the poundage goes up. They are lighter to hold onto as well and they float if he drops it in the water.

Comment

Looking at the PSE D3 and/or Cajun Shoreline.

Which reel is better? The bottle type or the zebco looking type?

I always used the wind by hand spool, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                      Looking at the PSE D3 and/or Cajun Shoreline.

Which reel is better? The bottle type or the zebco looking type?

I always used the wind by hand spool, lol.
                      Those bows are going to be hard to pull for a 9yo IMO. The D3 is 40# and the shore is 50#.

I would go with the kit in this link. I prefer the zebco style reels for myself but the bottle style reels are a little more safe due to not having to push the button on the reel before every shot.

Comment

I shoot better with my recurve over my wheel bows when bow fishing.

Comment

Get the AMS retriever
                          Reel. and go ahead and get the slotted version so as he grows, he can use a float for bigger fish. Derek, When I got into bowfishing and taking boys from our chruch, I bought a bunch of old "vintage recurves" off eBay. Paid like 50/60 bucks for 'em and mounted the AMS reels to them. Ethan could handle a 35 # recurve and shoot it hard enough to stick fish with a full size arrow. I for sure would not use a push-button reel like a Zebco for a youngster or anyone just starting out. They can be dangerous... do a search for bowfishing snap back... Also ALL arras should be rigged up with the AMS slides. This is probably more important than anything else equipment related. This prevents the string on the arra from tying itself to the bowstring upon release as it is always in front of the riser of the bow.
                          I took this 7'7" gar with a 35# Ben Pearson recurve with one arra, full penetration. Fought him for over 4 hours. Chew's oldest son came out and helped me drag him out the water and get him in my trailer!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	7-7-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	24670811

Click image for larger version

Name:	7-7-4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	24670812

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Get the AMS retriever
                            Reel. and go ahead and get the slotted version so as he grows, he can use a float for bigger fish. Derek, When I got into bowfishing and taking boys from our chruch, I bought a bunch of old "vintage recurves" off eBay. Paid like 50/60 bucks for 'em and mounted the AMS reels to them. Ethan could handle a 35 # recurve and shoot it hard enough to stick fish with a full size arrow. I for sure would not use a push-button reel like a Zebco for a youngster or anyone just starting out. They can be dangerous... do a search for bowfishing snap back... Also ALL arras should be rigged up with the AMS slides. This is probably more important than anything else equipment related. This prevents the string on the arra from tying itself to the bowstring upon release as it is always in front of the riser of the bow.
                            I took this 7'7" gar with a 35# Ben Pearson recurve with one arra, full penetration. Fought him for over 4 hours. Chew's oldest son came out and helped me drag him out the water and get him in my trailer!!

[ATTACH]1074179[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1074180[/ATTACH]

I used old recurve as well. I'd cut one end off roll of line and duct tape it on the recurve, for my spool, lol.

Not a recurve but has the bottle reel.. OK ?

Nice gator-gar, btw!

Comment

You can drop the poundage on the PSEs with just an Allen wrench. The other nice thing about the PSE D3 is that if someone dry fires it (and someone will on accident) you can loosen the limbs with just an allen wrench and put it all back together in about five minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X