Rotator Cuff Surgery Elk hut in 17 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
    it will be well tested before i leave, and this is not a trip you reschedule, it took 20 years to draw this tag. Im going even if its with a cross bow
    I like your attitude. Good luck.

Comment

my doc said 12 weeks my PT will have me shooting my bow. The PT only does shoulders and supposed to be incredible
      Yea mine also only does shoulders and is one of the top orthopedic surgeons in Houston.. He did an incredible job on me. Dr. Robert Fullick. He also removed 5 bones spurs.

Comment

it will be well tested before i leave, and this is not a trip you reschedule, it took 20 years to draw this tag. Im going even if its with a cross bow
        Heck yea. FYI if you decide to go with a Xbow, and don't already have one, make sure you buy a brand that is accurate.. Not all of the expensive ones are..

Comment

Sounds like you have a good PT, but where you go/who you see is up to you. Make sure you’ve got a good one who understands you and your goals, listens to you, and tailors the treatment. If you’re doing the same thing every visit for weeks… that ain’t good. If you’re not doing something that looks and feels a lot like pulling a bow, that ain’t good either.
          Blood Flow Restriction (BFR) would be a great option for you and research shows it working above the cuff - basically the cuff goes around your upper arm but you get strength gains in the shoulder as well.
          I’d be looking for a PT that has it and is willing to use it fairly early in the process.

You don’t need a ton of mobility to draw a bow, so have the conversation about your goals versus “standard therapy goals.”

Your surgeon’s rehab protocol is also worth discussing. Some are very conservative, and some are downright dumb and outdated. Hopefully your doc is up on the research and tailors the protocol to your shoulder and what he found/did. Unfortunately many have a cookie cutter protocol. PTs don’t like to ignore protocols and risk offending surgeons, but privately many disagree with at least one of the local docs fairly often.

Having said that, it’s sewing together small things in a small area, conservative to start ain’t a bad thing.

Even if you do PT 5 days a week, that is still only 5 hours out of 168. Be diligent at home, make sure your HEP is being updated regularly, and use clinic time for important stuff.

Google cryo cuff, or if you are feeling particularly spendy, Game Ready.

Comment

Well, I start PT Thursday. MY goal is to shoot 60lbs by Sept 1. Wish me luck!

Comment

You can do it

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I start PT Thursday. MY goal is to shoot 60lbs by Sept 1. Wish me luck!
                I'll do better than luck. I'll say a prayer for you.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

unit 16a New Mexico, it dont get any better.
                  Dude, I am jealous. Yes, I would 100% be hitting the physical therapy hard until that shoulder works right!

Does NM allow you defer your tag to the following year, or is it a use it or lose it situation? If would be nice to know if you had an out if the shoulder doesn't cooperate.

Looking forward to hearing about the hunt!

Comment

Do you guys think I will be 100% by sept 15th. Any info to help me recover quickly would be greatly appreciated.
                    Good Morning,

I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder (I shoot lefthanded) back on February 17th. I have been doing PT twice a week since a week after the surgery. I can tell you that, even at this time, I can not pull my bow back even though is it just my stabilization arm. I had an elk hunt scheduled for the first week of September due to my shoulder and another issue I chose not to go on the hunt.
                    The healing process has been a "B". I am no longer in pain but my strength and flexibility is not up to par.

I inquired my shoulder on an elk hunt last year when I fell 13 feet off of a cliff and landed on it.

Comment

I have not had it done, but it sounds like you are in the right mind set with focusing hard on PT and getting the bands & pullys for home work.

I was hoping I would have got drawn just so it would have kicked me in the A to get in better shape this year. lol

Dont mean to highjack, but I have a question for you all who have got this done. Have any of you stubborn S-O-B's tried to pull back on your bow with a heavy draw way to early? What does it do for recovery? Or does it require another surgery?

Good luck to you Pernell. I am pulling for ya!

J

Comment

[QUOTE=rolylane6;16232162]I'll do better than luck. I'll say a prayer for you.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
                        Thank you very much!

Comment

Do you guys think I will be 100% by sept 15th. Any info to help me recover quickly would be greatly appreciated.
                          My last one ( Right Shoulder ) was done Sept. 13th ( friday ) Killed a couple deer with my Bow the 1st weekend in January.
                          Gotta do all of the rehab & then some. But stay in the sling when not in rehab.

And no I didn't back the limbs down on my bow.
                          You be the judge of yourself, drawing the bow actually helped with the rehab.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                            My last one ( Right Shoulder ) was done Sept. 13th ( friday ) Killed a couple deer with my Bow the 1st weekend in January.
                            Gotta do all of the rehab & then some. But stay in the sling when not in rehab.

And no I didn't back the limbs down on my bow.
                            You be the judge of yourself, drawing the bow actually helped with the rehab.
                            Thats awesome news and very encouraging, Thank you! I will keep it in a sling just to help me remember that it is hurt

Comment

You can do it!!! I had rotator cuff surgery in November, 2017 and had an African Safari at the end of May, 2018. The doctor gave me a stem cell injection on my first follow up visit and I think that made all the difference in the world. Some insurance companies will cover it and some will not. BCBS did. I slept in a recliner until we left for Africa and did all of my PT. Be sure to ice down after PT. I started shooting in early May. I was probably about 80% on the hunt, but took four animals. I have never have had any problems at all with my shoulder since my surgery. I would definitely check on the stem cell injection. I also used archery bands in addition to PT. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you for the info. I will check on that today, I do have BCBS. I do feel much better today and seam to have a really good ROM in my shoulder. I still have a hard time sleeping, but thankfully pain has gotten better. Stitches out Tuesday, PT starts Tuesday, we leave for Mexico for a week on Wednesday. All is good. Thanks for all the Prayers

Comment

Working...
                                X