Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cottonseed going crazy like everything else.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed going crazy like everything else.

We started feeding Cottonseed last year to give our deer other protein intake options and hopes that it would help offset some of the higher priced consumption of the protein pellets we also feed. It has been working well up to now, but Cottonseed prices have shot thru the roof. We don't have the option of storing large qty's, so we purchase it in 1 to 2 ton orders at a time in the Super Sacks. Bought our first ton of the year 1st of January for $315 a ton. Bought our next 1.5 tons 55 days later at $385 a ton. I called our Gin today to order another 1.5 tons and he told me the price has jumped to $450 a ton.

That is for bulk which comes out to $11.25 per 50 pounds. That's CRAZY.

New Harvest doesn't happen until September, and he said no one knows if it will be coming back down any.

Hard to believe this might be the new normal.

If everybody pays those prices, then yes, that will be the new normal.

Comment

Until fertilizer and diesel come back down, its going to keep rising. You're probably buying it where I do. Also got a price in Dec and then when I went to get it in late Feb, it had gone up about 30%.

Comment

I was told the Chinese have contracted a large amount of cottonseed and corn, and this will set the floor on price.

Comment

Cottonseed got ridiculous about 3 years ago. Before that it was $165-$185 a ton

Comment

That's high. Just bought #1000 tote for $230 today.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post
              That's high. Just bought #1000 tote for $230 today.
              Maybe I’m missing something but wouldn’t a $230 1000# tote mean it’s $460 a ton?

Comment

Cotton is crazy high right now and climbing around 1.50lb, this the reason for high cottonseed prices. A few years ago cotton was .55lb

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                  Maybe I’m missing something but wouldn’t a $230 1000# tote mean it’s $460 a ton?
                  Lol.

Comment

The drought we’ve been having has the cows wrecking feed pens to access the cottonseed.

Two straight trips I’ve had to repair and replace cattle panels on all 16 feed pens. Last trip I strung barbed wire. Hopefully we get some rain and they lose interest.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                      I misread it.

Comment

Read the label on the bag most protein supplements are cotton seed based so that adds to the high price since others want the product.

Comment

Originally posted by goldtip5575 View Post
                          We started feeding Cottonseed last year to give our deer other protein intake options and hopes that it would help offset some of the higher priced consumption of the protein pellets we also feed. It has been working well up to now, but Cottonseed prices have shot thru the roof. We don't have the option of storing large qty's, so we purchase it in 1 to 2 ton orders at a time in the Super Sacks. Bought our first ton of the year 1st of January for $315 a ton. Bought our next 1.5 tons 55 days later at $385 a ton. I called our Gin today to order another 1.5 tons and he told me the price has jumped to $450 a ton.

That is for bulk which comes out to $11.25 per 50 pounds. That's CRAZY.

New Harvest doesn't happen until September, and he said no one knows if it will be coming back down any.

Hard to believe this might be the new normal.
                          Yep but deer gotta eat🤣

Comment

the gins went up a lot for the totes also. It used to be $15 per tote ($30/ton) from bulk to totes, now it's $70/ton for totes.

We buy quite a bit every year and it really sucks, especially on a year like this where we've had no rain. I hate to back off feeding it though. It helps the deer so much. There are deer at most feeders all through the night, and also typical morning/evening feeding hours. I'd like to think we're keeping some alive that wouldn't make it otherwise.

Comment

Feeding free choice wcs is probably not necessary. We take cattle through the winter and droughts with #5/hd/d, twice a week. That's a #1000-1500 animal. There are not a lot of choices though for feeding other than free choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X