Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landowners, Why Not More Cut-Rate Doe/Cull Hunts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
    How do you get the money out of them? Just curious.
    I know right people act like people that want to go on $300 doe hunts are flying to the hunt on their LearJet.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
      How do you get the money out of them? Just curious.

They have a choice of felony charges or pay for the animal. Worst case we sue them and they pay for our attorney as part of the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
        They have a choice of felony charges or pay for the animal. Worst case we sue them and they pay for our attorney as part of the deal.

I think this should be a last ditch remedy not a business practice. Problem is who wants to fight over a $300 doe that turned into a $5,000 mistake?

I agree, it isn't worth it. We use our does and management bucks for friends, family and business associates. It can become a chore but its a labor of love for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post

Do you have them sign a detailed contract before hunting? I'm curious, not arguing. Been thinking about doing the doe hunt thing.

Comment

Yes everything is laid out in the hunt rules that they sign.

Comment

Because most people are idiots. And why sell something for cheap when they will pay full price.

Not worth the hassle and PIA to deal with morons

Comment

Each hunter would need a guide, how is that done “cheaply”? I am not a landowner, but understand the predicament.

Comment

Thanks TBH for all the comments. I am not a native Texan nor did I grow up as an outdoorsman. I have enjoyed my time outdoors since moving to Texas over 20 years ago.

Think about some of the fastest-growing activities in the U.S. today (pickleball, etc.) and think about hunting/conservation. There is a huge gap, as I see it, in Trophy Texas... the state is trying to address this by starting first-time hunter programs, etc. but I am so curious how we can take the huge deer numbers you see in some parts of the state and pair them up with responsible, novice hunters. How many more people would embrace the activity we all appreciate if the bar was not $1,000 but $200? Or even $100? Imagine if the number of hunters/conservationists increased by 15% over the next decade... how much stronger would our position be?

The concern over irresponsible hunters is what I hear loud and clear in the comments above. Do you hate the way that truck drives on the freeway?!? That same guy is showing up, drinking beer on your land and taking bad shots on the wrong kind of deer. I get it. I wouldn't want him on my land or lease either.

Just my two cents... thanks for all your input, keep the conversation going...

Comment

It does make recruiting and retaining new hunters very difficult.

Comment

Concur, Boy Wonder. If I can ever assist in some small way with this and anyone reads this, I'm all ears- God bless.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
                        Read the "guest mistake" thread twice!! I would often take people for free just to cull our doe numbers. Every time, people would shoot bucks instead of does. One guest and his son, who I knew well, shot five deer in their first twenty minutes of a three day hunt. Three of the five were bucks, a spike and two button bucks, on a DOE hunt! Liability is the main issue now. OP, you may be a great guy and experienced woodsman, the non-experienced folks are to blame.
                        the guest mistake thread brought back memories. when i was 16-18 y,o, we decided to day hunt our place for does/ hogs. about an hour outside of houston. by oct we had booked several weekends for deer season. i dropped people at their stands and cleaned deer, etc.
                        what i had to deal with :
                        1. the guy that shows up and takes 4- 15 round clips for his AR-15 to the stand
                        2. " can you show me how to load my gun?"
                        3. people showing up in police tactical gear to shoot doe/hogs.
                        4. "can i take this cooler of beer to the stand with me?"
                        5. shooting at squirrells and crows with deer rifle.

it was quite a season.. comical when i look back at it!
                        overall, (like most are saying) its just simply not worth it for a few hundred dollars. your better off inviting people that you know that know what they are doing, or just shooting excess deer and giving the meat away.

Comment

We bought our place to get away from idiots & drama. No way I want to take a chance bringing some in. We are real picky who we invite & that includes so called family. Lots of family crawled out of the closets when they heard we bought. Easier just to shoot them & give them to people.

Comment

It seems that the "bad neighbor" syndrome has affected hunting as well.... It's a shame that the invitee has such a bad reputation among landowners. I'm sure it is well-deserved but it's still a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by McPatrickClan View Post
                              It seems that the "bad neighbor" syndrome has affected hunting as well.... It's a shame that the invitee has such a bad reputation among landowners. I'm sure it is well-deserved but it's still a shame.

Definitely well deserved. I have lost folks I thought were friends over a deer. Put random folks out there shooting does and you will find carcasses without a head. Gotta have a guide sitting with them and you can't do that cheap. Please read the guest mistake thread.

Comment

Originally posted by McPatrickClan View Post
                                Oh it's a shame for sure. We all know there are some great invitees and guests out there. And a lot of folks paying relatively low fees are great as well. I've been on some cheap hunts and like to think I was one of the "good" guys. BUT, for every good one, there are 10+ that will do things that will make your head spin. And it seems like (for the most part) someone who is paying $200 feels more "entitled" to shoot something than someone who is just a guest. I've had better luck with guests who just donate some corn, or beer, or brings the steaks. I've also come to terms with this...if a "guide" is not sitting with a guest, any mistakes are on me. If I trust someone to sit alone and make decisions, then I'm accepting the risk that a mistake will be made. No one to get mad at but myself. And I don't like being mad at anyone, especially myself!

Comment

Working...
                                X