Need your help. Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
    What you meant to say is you like drinking while it's finishing, but there ain't no shame in that game!

The real question is, what does BoB say?

That too [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok....little long winded here ....just answering some questions that were asked and adding to RHs post...... so read or move on past if its too long for some folks..

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
      To me, it doesn't look done. Most people think dry/tough means cooked too long, its the exact opposite. The other thing people always make the mistake of is cooking by time, instead of tenderness when it comes to brisket. The probe should push in and pull out with no effort.
      Its was done....soft butter probe all over....202 ish on the center temp and 205-208 on the outside. I was texting with him as he was finishing up. I made him check multiple areas several times. I also made him compare his monitoring probe to his hand held thermo in the same area to make sure they were reading the same and they were....to a tee..

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      What do you mean by the stall J...I wrapped @ 160 & put back fat side down. When I put the probe back in the new location read 168 & had resistance / still tough.

I just wasn't sure if the fat was supposed to be back down when wrapped & same with how you rest...I'm another who is brisket challenged with the VERY few I've tried & decided to tackle / deal with success or failure seeing this thread. The bark 'looked' good, but not sure what I'm actually supposed to note & balance vs just watching for 160.
      Originally posted by oktx View Post
      When the meat starts sweating and the IT stops rising. This May last an hour or more.

What oktx said. The internal temp will stall when this happens. No big deal, except if you don't wrap it like some folks here, the stall can last 1-2 hours which extends your cook time. It will hang round the same temp for that entire time, then break over. When folks wrap it helps to push through the stall quickly/quicker. It usually happens in the 160-165 range but can vary. I've seen it stall in the mid 50s as well.. That's why I'm looking to wrap around 160-165 if my bark is right. I want to push the stall and get on with it. Most important thing though is the bark and it doesn't matter if it is stalling or not, I'm going to wait it out until I like what I see.

To answer you other question, nothing bad happens if you wrap before the stall if you are happy with the bark. Wrap whenever you want to. I like to layer smoke for the dark bark as long as I can, so I push to 160-165 and sometimes to 170. I never flip my brisket. I do not want that top layer of bark I have worked on the whole cook to be smashed, filled with grate marks or peel off.

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
      I can cook a brisket that falls apart for tacos or one that slices. I've never used a thermometer in 30+ years of cooking. My same method produces hog or deer hind quarters that you can pull the bone out of.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yes sir....You cook it long enough, brisket, ribs, pork butts and even wild hog shoulders fall off the bone or you can pull the bone out of the mass.. Great for shredding, pulling or chopping. Not as ideal for brisket slices or ribs for folks who want to eat it off the bone. I'll eat it any way and twice on Sundays.. I do prefer my rib meat to stay on the bone though. God made rib with handles. I intend to use them.

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
      The meat will only absorb smoke for the first 3 or so hours. After that you’re just basically cooking. That first 3 or so hours, I concentrate on getting in good smoke, the rest of the time I just let it roll.
      Hell I know folks that will do a brisket for around 4 hours and finish it in the oven. I won’t do that. I like babysitting the pit and being proud of the result of my babysitting and fire management Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I never disagree with this man because he is a world class cook of all things...much better than me all around for sure. But I would like to add that when the meat stops taking smoke you can still work on layering the smoke on the meat and building the dark bark which we all know is where most of the flavor is on brisket and pork butts for that matter. Its a little more than just cooking. That's all I disagree with though hand... You do it in your cooks, the wording was all I disagreed with.

While we are on that subject your brought up at the end. Like Gabler said I've seen folks smoke a big brisket for 2-3 hours and finish it on the smoker or in the oven and its like a slighty smokey roast. I've eaten a couple and it was sure tender and juicy but it wasn't Texas brisket. It was grayish, no bark and looked like a roast. Now I love roast so to each their own... but smoking for only 2-3 hours is not something I would do...
      Last edited by Smart; 04-17-2022, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
        Somebody get a rope. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Hahahaha.....yup!!

Comment

Just don't have 13 hours to waste on stringy meat. Me and Snowflake killa just fry some fishes [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Ok....little long winded here ....just answering some questions that were asked and adding to RHs post...... so read or move on past if its too long for some folks..

Its was done....soft butter probe all over....202 ish on the center temp and 205-208 on the outside. I was texting with him as he was finishing up. I made him check multiple areas several times. I also made him compare his monitoring probe to his hand held thermo in the same area to make sure they were reading the same and they were....to a tee..

What oktx said. The internal temp will stall when this happens. No big deal, except if you don't wrap it like some folks here, the stall can last 1-2 hours which extends your cook time. It will hang round the same temp for that entire time, then break over. When folks wrap it helps to push through the stall quickly/quicker. It usually happens in the 160-165 range but can vary. I've seen it stall in the mid 50s as well.. That's why I'm looking to wrap around 160-165 if my bark is right. I want to push the stall and get on with it. Most important thing though is the bark and it doesn't matter if it is stalling or not, I'm going to wait it out until I like what I see.

To answer you other question, nothing bad happens if you wrap before the stall if you are happy with the bark. Wrap whenever you want to. I like to layer smoke for the dark bark as long as I can, so I push to 160-165 and sometimes to 170. I never flip my brisket. I do not want that top layer of bark I have worked on the whole cook to be smashed, filled with grate marks or peel off.

Yes sir....You cook it long enough, brisket, ribs, pork butts and even wild hog shoulders fall off the bone or you can pull the bone out of the mass.. Great for shredding, pulling or chopping. Not as ideal for brisket slices or ribs for folks who want to eat it off the bone. I'll eat it any way and twice on Sundays.. I do prefer my rib meat to stay on the bone though. God made rib with handles. I intend to use them.

I never disagree with this man because he is a world class cook of all things...much better than me all around for sure. But I would like to add that when the meat stops taking smoke you can still work on layering the smoke on the meat and building the dark bark which we all know is where most of the flavor is on brisket and pork butts for that matter. Its a little more than just cooking. That's all I disagree with though hand... You do it in your cooks, the wording was all I disagreed with.

While we are on that subject your brought up at the end. Like Gabler said I've seen folks smoke a big brisket for 2-3 hours and finish it on the smoker or in the oven and its like a slighty smokey roast. I've eaten a couple and it was sure tender and juicy but it wasn't Texas brisket. It was grayish, no bark and looked like a roast. Now I love roast so to each their own... but smoking for only 2-3 hours is not something I would do...

Yeah, that’s what I meant [emoji23]

And I’m far from world class. I just grew up around a bbq pit. My dad had a catering business, and when I was knee high to a grasshopper and all my friends were going out and having fun on weekends, I was helping him for that cheap labor. Lol
            You’d think I would be tired of being around a bbq pit, but it’s the complete opposite. I’m trying to carry on his legacy. Yesterday was 5 years of his passing, and there’s so many times I want
            to call him with questions, but can’t.

Comment

I hear ya on the temps, but when looking at the picture closely you can see the connective tissue isnt broken down.

Comment

I hear ya on the temps, but when looking at the picture closely you can see the connective tissue isnt broken down.
                [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
                  Cooked one for Easter lunch. I guess I got lucky, turned out great

Injected, wrapped with pink butcher paper after stall. Pull off at 203F.....long rest in Yeti. Ended up super tender and moist.
                  Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
                  Sure it is.
                  13 hour cook, 6 hour rest

What dreams are made of

Comment

Thanks gang...it turned out really well. I would have liked for it to rest for more than an hour but the hunger kicked in & I didn't start early enough underestimating a smaller brisket & being a rookie.

What surprised me the most was how quick it got done @ the 200 mark after the wrap.

I did a simple salt & brown sugar brine for 24 hours. Forgot to get it out first thing in the am to sit to room temp so started out at 180 until IT reached 100 & then 225 till she hit 160, wrap @ to 250 till done. All in all 10 hours on the grill for a 7 pounder.

Much appreciated!!

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      Thanks gang...it turned out really well. I would have liked for it to rest for more than an hour but the hunger kicked in & I didn't start early enough underestimating a smaller brisket & being a rookie.

What surprised me the most was how quick it got done @ the 200 mark after the wrap.

I did a simple salt & brown sugar brine for 24 hours. Forgot to get it out first thing in the am to sit to room temp so started out at 180 until IT reached 100 & then 225 till she hit 160, wrap @ to 250 till done. All in all 10 hours on the grill for a 7 pounder.

Much appreciated!!

Your timing is about how I figure mine. I’m cooking on a 250 offset, which takes mine longer than the smaller pits that keep the heat and smoke contained to a small area. I always figure an hour and a half per pound, plus my rest time.
                      That’s why I usually start the night before and pull all nighters at the pit. Lol

Comment

Yep.

Comment

I'm not the expert that some here are but my brisket failures and successes seem to be very proportional to the grade of brisket used...

I've never had a select grade brisket turn out better than average. Choice Grade... not bad. Prime grade always good. Made one of the "American Wagyu" Briskets from Costco over Christmas just to try... didn't tell anyone in the house that it was anything different, and they all said it was the best brisket I've ever made. That being said... I usually start with a Prime Grade

Comment

Originally posted by RCDuck View Post
                            I'm not the expert that some here are but my brisket failures and successes seem to be very proportional to the grade of brisket used...

I've never had a select grade brisket turn out better than average. Choice Grade... not bad. Prime grade always good. Made one of the "American Wagyu" Briskets from Costco over Christmas just to try... didn't tell anyone in the house that it was anything different, and they all said it was the best brisket I've ever made. That being said... I usually start with a Prime Grade
                            That’s what I thought but evidently prime can be screwed up also

Comment

Another thing to look for when picking out briskets, is look for marbling on the meat side. This makes a big difference. I’ve found some choices that looked better than primes.

Comment

I start looking at 160ish or a stall whichever comes first. I’m looking to see if the bark is right …. if it needs more time, I’ll wait until its good before I wrap. If I feel like it needs a little more coverage or heavier bark, I’ll keep going up to 170. I have not had to go past 170 to wrap.

160-165 is usually a pretty good area to start looking though and where I’m usually ready to move on.

I set in a alum pan and cover the pan with foil. Just easier and keeps a prettier top bark imo.
                                I found using a pan with foil cover works best.

Comment

Working...
                                X