17 hmr head shots on hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
    It works extremely well when you hit where you aim. Hit them in the earhole or between the eyes. If you were a better shot you would have killed more than one.
    Between the eyes is no man's land on a hog.

Comment

It works extremely well when you hit where you aim. Hit them in the earhole or between the eyes. If you were a better shot you would have killed more than one.
      You got me. I'm a city boy that never gets to shoot at critters. I'll try to practice more next time I'm in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        You got me. I'm a city boy that never gets to shoot at critters. I'll try to practice more next time I'm in the country.
        If that’s really so, you show nuff know how to catch those flat heads for a city boy !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          If that’s really so, you show nuff know how to catch those flat heads for a city boy !!!
          Me in the city is a fish out of the water!

Comment

I know lots of country boys that can’t shoot worth a ****. I also know quite a few city boys that can shoot with the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Me in the city is a fish out of the water!
              I figured that to be a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                I know lots of country boys that can’t shoot worth a ****. I also know quite a few city boys that can shoot with the best.

I know some that never miss when shooting with their keyboard.
                It’s shooting with their guns that gives them problems.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  I know some that never miss when shooting with their keyboard.
                  It’s shooting with their guns that gives them problems.

You ain’t lying there!

Comment

Guess I should have put the little smiley face after my post so you wouldnt get your feelers hurt. Just stated that if you would have hit them in the ear hole you would have killed more pigs........... I live in the country and I shoot at pigs almost daily. The ones I make good shots on die, the ones I dont may or may not die......

Comment

I've killed a lot of stuff with the .17HMR but never a hog. For bigger stuff I'd choose CCI 20gr. Gamepoints. I've lost big boar raccoons shooting them with .17gr v-max. .22 mag is my preference when shooting larger bodied animals. But then again bullet choice has a lot to do with it. V-Max and hollowpoints come apart pretty quick. They'll do fine on prairie dogs but anything 10 pounds or more I'm gonna try to shoot in the neck or the head if I can.

I wish they'd offer something in the 25 grain for the .17HMR I don't know that it would make much difference but it would some.

On a side note I picked up some 15 grain bullets for my buddies .17WSM the other day. I bet they'll obliterate a prairie dog. That round is king when it comes to rimfires.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 04-06-2022, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Never shot one with my .17, but have witnessed .204 Ruger not penetrate on between the eyes. Killed the pig later with a nasty crease where it hit and slid up.

Comment

I’ve killed a few with the 17. I’ve also dropped them like a sack, go back inside the house to get my flashlight or phone and put shoes on to go retrieve, get down to the feeder where they dropped and they be gone. That’s happened a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            Pretty pisspoor choice imo.
                            It's a Hog. Shot'em all with what ever you got.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                              It's a Hog. Shot'em all with what ever you got.
                              They deserve a little more respect than that. Not much, but they deserve clean kills as possible.

Comment

Guess I should have put the little smiley face after my post so you wouldnt get your feelers hurt. Just stated that if you would have hit them in the ear hole you would have killed more pigs........... I live in the country and I shoot at pigs almost daily. The ones I make good shots on die, the ones I dont may or may not die......
                                Then my post wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the guys who never miss and hogs never take a step.

You have to be one bad A hombre to never miss a hog. Or maybe be one with the force and make them hold still for the shot at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X