Sausage making..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage making..

So this year, my dad, brother and I are going to attempt to pick up our old tradition of making sausage. We had made it for years before Popo and granny passed and then the spark fizzled. Well, my brother and I have kids of our own and we want to pass down the tradition but are a little rusty when it comes down to the sausage making part. We had always ground up the meat BEFORE we seasoned it but I see folks seasoning it THEN grinding it, which way works better from experience? Also, I know we need to add water to our cased sausage mix but do you add it to the ground meat or the pre ground? Any help is most appreciated. I know there a few sausage threads around, I just didn't want to hijack any of them with my questions.

I prefer to season pre-grind so the grinder does the mixing for you. You gain consistency and cut out a step. I don't typically add water, but if you do, mix it after grinding. Only thing water doe is make the stuffing easier, so if you will use an electric or hydraulic stuffer I would skip it.

Comment

I’ve done it both ways and have settled on seasoning before the first grind. If you forget to do it, not a big deal to mix the seasoning in by hand though. We don’t add water to it, no need. We do stuff off the grinder unless we are doing more than 30 pounds or so; then we will use the hand crank stuffer. It would be nice to have an electric stuffer to make it easier on me when doing it alone, but I only make 100 lbs or so a year.

Comment

We have always seasoned before we grind. We have a large mixing table and mix the meat and seasoning by hand before we grind. We don’t add any water to this process.

Now when I do my pork breakfast, the seasonings I use need rehydrating, so I will add water then. I typically hand mix on the mixing table with added water the night before we make sausage. I then put it in the fridge to marinate overnight and allow the seasoning to completely rehydrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
          We have always seasoned before we grind. We have a large mixing table and mix the meat and seasoning by hand before we grind. We don’t add any water to this process.

Now when I do my pork breakfast, the seasonings I use need rehydrating, so I will add water then. I typically hand mix on the mixing table with added water the night before we make sausage. I then put it in the fridge to marinate overnight and allow the seasoning to completely rehydrate.

Gotcha! I love your post btw! yall got a heck of an operation going on out there!!!!

Comment

Also, high temp cheddar, is it necessary?

Comment

Always seasoned before grinding here. We then hand mix on the table and the grinder completes the mixing.

Comment

Mixing in seasoning before grind helps incorporate the seasoning throughout meat. Some put water with seasoning also then pour over meat laid out on table and mix by hand before grind. I've done both dry and wet. Works really well if spread out on table or in big ice chest. I grind twice or with smallest grind plate but that's my preference. Some like coarse grind but mine has turn out best ground fine. If putting in cheese and jalapenos or mustard seeds i add after grind and mixing on table. We have had cheese disappear while grinding and mustard seeds stick in grinder. Message me if you have any questions will be glad to help.

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post

Yes if you want a piece of cheese in your bite and not a rendered liquid through out your link after grilling.

Comment

I think so also my opinion. Regular cheese melts away too fast.

Comment

Gotcha! I love your post btw! yall got a heck of an operation going on out there!!!!

Thanks! It’s a legacy I intend to continue.

Comment

IF you want cheese in your sausage, yes. Regular cheeses will leach out during cooking. We haven’t done cheese in a long time, but I have a paddle mixer that attaches to my grinder. Grind your seasoned meat and then mix things like cheese, jalapeño’s, whatever through a paddle style mixer or by hand. If you try to run that stuff through a grinder, it’ll get annihilated.

Comment

Sausage making..

Season prior to grinding, and then add your high temp cheese right before going to the stuffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Either works..personal preference imho.

We grind, season and used to regrind. We have in recent year, used new mixer and used it. We add cheese in when we add seasoning.

We add water to help in with stuffing.
                            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I’ve always dissolved all of my seasonings including some liquid smoke in water then poured over the meat after first grind and mix well. Second grind finishes the mixing process and the moist sausage is easier to stuff. Have fun with it. Nothing better than homemade.

Comment

Working...
                              X