Pecan Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
    The recipe on the karo syrup bottle is hard to beat for a traditional pie.
    Yep, very good.

Comment

Weve used the Karo bottle as well, Tastes Great!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I'm gonna save yall some heart ache. Go to the grocery store and buy an Edward's frozen pecan pie. The it out of the box and let it thaw about an hour. Cut and eat while it's still very cold. Way cheaper than making obe and comes out perfect every tine.
          Last edited by GarGuy; 09-22-2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Dangit, almost made it 10 years. Lol. My aunt made the best pecan pies, she's gone on to the better life now so I guess I gotta follow garguys recipe.

Comment

That bourbon pecan pie sounds good. I am going to have to try it.

Comment

Cajun Blake’s bourbon pecan pie recipe is on point!

I’ve made it at thanksgiving and Christmas for several years now and there’s rarely any leftovers.

I use pecan halves mixed in and never seem to have an issue with them not rising to the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This was my mom`s recipe that she always made. My wife has been making them with this recipe since she passed and they always turn out great.

Comment

Shuttle Pecan Co in Junction had the best recipe. That’s the one I use and it’s always great.

Comment

Shuttle Pecan Co in Junction had the best recipe. That’s the one I use and it’s always great.

Comment

I am constantly trying to improve on good recipes, with one exception: the recipe on the Karo syrup bottle.

As for your pecans not floating to the top, it’s hard to say. My first thought is that the sugars toward the top of your pie may be cooking faster than the sugars at the bottom of the, but this is speculation on my part.

Nevertheless, here are a few thoughts: If you’re not using the recipe on the Karo syrup bottle, at least try a recipe that includes Karo or corn syrup. I know pies with corn syrup have a slightly different texture than pies made with cane sugar only. Corn syrup should allow your pie to stay in its liquid state a little longer, allowing your pecans more time to work their way to the top.

Does your oven use only a top heating element to bake? If so, perhaps placing your pie on the bottom oven rack will inhibit the development of caramelization on the top of your pie, again, allowing the pecans to float to the top.

And finally, are you using a glass pie pan. I remember somewhere reading about the radiant energy effect of using glass that helps avoid a soggy crust on the bottom. This tells me that the radiant effect directs more heat to the bottom, thereby ensuring (hopefully) that the top and bottom cook at relatively the same rate. Also, are you blind-baking your crust?

Comment

I will try again with all of the tips you suggested.

Blind bake? Is that pre-bake?

Comment

My favorite

Comment

My two suggestions for pecan pie

Hi Dusty. Thanks again for the awesome TBH express you and Pistol helped me with some years ago. Y'all are nice people.

Back to pecan pies. I use the Karo bottle recipe with light syrup. I used to have problems with my pecan pies being runny when they are sliced. I have found two things that solve the problem.

The first thing is to melt the butter in a mixing bowl then add the vanilla, the Karo, and the sugar. Mix well.

Beat the three eggs in a separate bowl, then add them to the first bowl with the other ingredients. Mix well.

Weigh the pecans and have them ready in another bowl.

Set up a double boiler and add the mixture. Boil the water in the lower boiler, stirring the top pan contents gently, until the mixture in the top pan reaches 130 degrees with a thermometer. Pour the mixture into a store-bought frozen deep dish pie crust that has been thawed to room temp.

After you pour the hot mixture into the pie crust, add your pecans and dunk them all under the mixture to coat them with syrup. They will float back up, but they definitely need to be coated with the syrup glaze. If you think that your pecans might be stale, toast them lightly on a piece of foil in a toaster oven or oven before heating the mixture.

Second thing is to bake the assembled pie in an oven pre-heated to 350 degrees. Remove from the oven when the the center of the pie filling reaches 200 degrees according to your thermometer. Let cool for a few hours. Done.

Once the pie is cooled, cover tightly with plastic wrap and store fridge. Allow to warm to room temp before serving. 15 seconds in a microwave is ok, too.

Comment

2 too Ez Pecan Pies.
                                5 eggs
                                2 cups sugar
                                1 cup dark karo
                                3 tablespoon flour
                                1/2 cup of water
                                2 tablespoon margarine
                                2 tablespoon vanilla
                                2 cups chopped pecans
                                Mix all ingredients and pour into 2 unbaked deep dish pie shells
                                Bake at 325 degrees for 60-70 minutes. Ez and delicious.

Comment

Working...
                                X