No announcement yet.

Trapping season 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best of luck to all you fellas… I would love to learn to setup traps so will be following along.

Comment

Locked and loaded as well. Hoping to catch some fawn eaters. Let me know how yall do

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I can remember when coon was king back in the 70s. Well …. maybe not king, that was reserved for cats and fox in the south, but coons made up the bulk of the harvest, at least in the southern US. Times do change though.

Comment

Sadly, coons bring next to nothing now. Even our nice fluffy ones.

Found a bobcat toilet on the creek crossing culvert last weekend and put up a cam to see what the cat looks like. We'll check it next weekend after our hunt.

Bobcat urine and lure and bait from Lennon came in yesterday, we're set now.

Good score Rivershack !

Comment

Good luck guys. Enjoy the thread. Hope to do some trapping once it cools off

Comment

Just got in 2 dozen MB550's and a dozen dog proofs.. Its time to thin out a few coyotes and coons... We have entirely to many coons these days.. The wreak havoc on turkey populations.. Nest raiding son of a guns..

Comment

Found two old number 4 Newhouse long springs at antique alley this weekend give the man alittle more than I like to pay but there worth it this go around

Comment

Tagged!

We have coyote's hard after our goats. Probably getting a dog soon, but looking forward to this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivershack21 View Post
                    Found two old number 4 Newhouse long springs at antique alley this weekend give the man alittle more than I like to pay but there worth it this go around
                    I saw about 10-15 on Facebook market place in weatherford for 15 each the other day, some still had drags on them

Comment

I sure saw a whole bunch of foxes and coons on my last game camera pull. Unfortunately our place is 4 hours away, so the odds of running traps consistently are pretty low. Especially if there's no fur market.

Comment

Coon prices look bad AGAIN this year. A few years ago a few 100 coons would polish up a season and pay for fuel and operational costs. Only things that are worth taking are coyotes and cats nowdays and time is hard to come by.

Bid on a large Ranch the other day that asked for one, then they complained about the bid and asked for a break down of pricing and reasoning behind it.
                        I took the time to verbally break it down even though I provided a written contract and a link to a viewable sharepoint excel file that was to be updated daily with catch information and daily catch photos, Ranch also lies inside city limits and has lots of prying eyes

2 week catch period ....Initial set fee, daily round trip fuel charges, major and minor predator charges per catch.

In the end they rejected the bid because they cannot understand the facts that minor predatory animals are directly affecting their turkey and quail populations.

Comment

Well I got a call yesterday about coyotes in a man yard so I gather stuff up and didn’t make it this afternoon cause had to work late. Then sitting at diner tonight he text me a picture from around noon today little bob kitty walking behind his fence so man I hate I missed tonight but I will set tomorrow. Fingers crossed I have will fur in a victor before the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                            I can remember when coon was king back in the 70s. Well …. maybe not king, that was reserved for cats and fox in the south, but coons made up the bulk of the harvest, at least in the southern US. Times do change though.
                            Yes.
                            Those were the days.
                            When I was in high school that’s the only way there was to make a little money.
                            25-$30 for a big coon, gas was .50ct/gallon money would go a long ways.
                            $2 for a possum. I loved my trap lines.
                            I trap now for predator control ie. fawn esters!

Comment

What are some lures and baits that y'all have had the most success with?

I am planning on getting serious about trapping this year.
                              I have some Bridger #2 dogless traps that I ordered last February along with some "Shenanigans Bobcat Curiosity Lure".

Within a month I was able to prep my traps and strike some success.

42 Lb Texas Cat. gonna be hard for me to beat (The cat in my profile pic)

Comment

Originally posted by JakefromstateTX View Post
                                What are some lures and baits that y'all have had the most success with?

I am planning on getting serious about trapping this year.
                                I have some Bridger #2 dogless traps that I ordered last February along with some "Shenanigans Bobcat Curiosity Lure".

Within a month I was able to prep my traps and strike some success.

42 Lb Texas Cat. gonna be hard for me to beat (The cat in my profile pic)
                                That’s a big cat.

Comment

Working...
                                X