Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-15-2022, 04:21 PM   #1
Biggs
Pope & Young

Default Apple Airtag as Anti-theft Device

I recently discovered Apple Airtags. They are about a dollar coin size and about 1/4” thick. You can hide the Airtag on theft prone valuables like a trailer, ATV, Tractor, AR-15, etc.
Anytime the item is stolen, the Airtag will auto ping anyone that has their “Find My” app on and send an accurate location to the owner.

Couple concerns I had is the speaker inside the Airtag puts off an alert when activated, so the thief could find it and disable it. Removing the Airtag speaker is very easy. The next concern was Apples Anti-stalking notification. Anytime an Airtag that’s not yours is following you for awhile, your phone will get a notification that you’re being tracked. So potentially the thief will be alerted to the Airtag after some time. I figure that will have to be the risk I take by using them. Hiding the Airtag very very well should help.

The Airtag battery lasts a year and is easily replaced, and it even notifies you when running low power. I went ahead and vacuum packed each one to further weatherproof it.

It’s not foolproof but Airtags might help.
Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 04:54 PM   #2
brokeno
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I have several of them in my atv, tractor, cattle trailer and tripod when public hunting.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 05:10 PM   #3
Maddox
Ten Point

Thief has to have a iPhone to get notified. Not sure iPhones work on the Cricket network.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 05:11 PM   #4
Dmcgee
Six Point

Don’t these just work off of Bluetooth? If so you have a max range of 30ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 05:21 PM   #5
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Thief has to have a iPhone to get notified. Not sure iPhones work on the Cricket network.
Lol.... not sure if this was just a joke but I did laugh. But iPhone does work with Cricket as I have their service.

But I still have not figured them out quite yet to use them.
txhunter90 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 05:24 PM   #6
kae006
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcgee View Post
Don’t these just work off of Bluetooth? If so you have a max range of 30ft

No
kae006 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 06:59 PM   #7
HOOKNBULLET2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Blanco

OP, sounds like a great idea to me.
HOOKNBULLET2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 07:02 PM   #8
WBT
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Montana

Criminals have used airtags to track cars they want to steal, women they're interested in, etc. Consequently, Apple updated the software and now airtags send an alert that you're being followed. So my understanding is that if someone steals my SxS with an airbag hidden in it, it'll send an alert to the criminal that he's being followed.
WBT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 07:04 PM   #9
Hunteraudit
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Is there a way an iPhone user can opt out of sharing the location info? If I was a thief, first thing I’d do.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 07:07 PM   #10
Biggs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBT View Post
Criminals have used airtags to track cars they want to steal, women they're interested in, etc. Consequently, Apple updated the software and now airtags send an alert that you're being followed. So my understanding is that if someone steals my SxS with an airbag hidden in it, it'll send an alert to the criminal that he's being followed.

Correct. After some time, it will notify them. That’s why hiding is extremely well is critical.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:14 PM   #11
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunteraudit View Post
Is there a way an iPhone user can opt out of sharing the location info? If I was a thief, first thing I’d do.

Yeah turnoff location services on their phone .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 08:34 PM   #12
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Are the Airtags android compatible? I know the Apple Air Pods are. But those are BT.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 10:12 PM   #13
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

Read up on it. I read Bluetooth 5.0 is a max of 800 feet.

If I wanted to track a high value item, I’d get a Spot tracking device that transmits to satellites.

Bill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2022, 07:42 PM   #14
Biggs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

If I wanted to track a high value item, I’d get a Spot tracking device that transmits to satellites.

It is Bluetooth but it automatically pings off anyone’s phone that has the Find My app. Vast majority of people have it on.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:34 PM   #15
Bill
Pope & Young

So it relays/repeats thru other people’s iPhones?

Old 01-16-2022, 11:01 PM   #16
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
It is Bluetooth but it automatically pings off anyone’s phone that has the Find My app. Vast majority of people have it on.
Quote:

I still don't understand how the AirTag can be picked up by someone else's iPhone. Does that mean that ANYONE who has an iPhone and walks close to the Tag will get an alert...including multiple people at the same time if they have their "Find My" apps turned on? Wouldn't it need to be synced or whatever?
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2022, 11:38 PM   #17
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

From my experience, the tags aren’t what they’re made out to be.

They only update their location if an iPhone is nearby. Pointless if something is truly lost. I would think they’d be worthless on a dog collar for example.

And for y’all saying it notifies of someone being followed….I don’t think this is the case. My daughter has one on her backpack (linked to my phone) and I’ve never had someone mention anything (wife, grandparents, bus driver, etc….)
ClayW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2022, 11:40 PM   #18
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

Quote:

To my understanding, yes.

It uses the network to update its location.
ClayW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 07:25 AM   #19
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

I've heard several stories of criminals put these on cars they are looking to steal. I've talked with more than a few people who found these tags on their very theft prone cars kind of wild.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 08:09 AM   #20
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Quote:

I agree Bill.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 08:33 AM   #21
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: NTX & WTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBT View Post
Bingo!
Fmjag64 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #22
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

here is a video that explains it pretty well, verdict, is it could help, but not guaranteed

https://youtu.be/JvGJ-SPbrDQ
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #23
CrownKiller14
Four Point

When I first got my Airtags I tested them.

Placed one in my wifes car (her knowing), and 5 minutes down the road she got a notification that there said "Airtag detected near you".
It did this every time she got in her car, eventually she got annoyed with it and took it out.

If you're going to use AirTags as theft prevention, hide it very well and might help the police catch who ever has it before they remove the Airtag.

Airtags are great for urban areas, where it can ping of the thousands of iphones around you. But if you live in remote areas they aren't going to do a whole lot for you.

Also they need to do a family update where you can share you Tags with a family members. Right now they can only be linked to one iphone.
CrownKiller14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 09:52 AM   #24
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

My friend put one of these on her dog collar because her dog escapes a lot. About a month later the dog escaped. It was of no use finding the dog and the dog was running through a neighborhood with lots of people and houses.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 11:05 AM   #25
freerhunter16
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freer, TX

And for y’all saying it notifies of someone being followed….I don’t think this is the case. My daughter has one on her backpack (linked to my phone) and I’ve never had someone mention anything (wife, grandparents, bus driver, etc….)[/QUOTE]

I can assure you this happens. We are dealing with this right now. My wife received a notification that she was being followed on Thursday. Apparently, someone placed an airtag somewhere on her vehicle. We notified police, they came to the house and searched extensively. We took it to my mechanic and had him put it on the lift and spent several hours searching. We still have not been able to locate it.
freerhunter16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 11:09 AM   #26
Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerhunter16 View Post

I can assure you this happens. We are dealing with this right now. My wife received a notification that she was being followed on Thursday. Apparently, someone placed an airtag somewhere on her vehicle. We notified police, they came to the house and searched extensively. We took it to my mechanic and had him put it on the lift and spent several hours searching. We still have not been able to locate it.
Are you sure its not alerting off the tag in your daughters backpack by mistake? Or you dropped one on accident between the seats?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 11:13 AM   #27
CrownKiller14
Four Point

Quote:
And for y’all saying it notifies of someone being followed….I don’t think this is the case. My daughter has one on her backpack (linked to my phone) and I’ve never had someone mention anything (wife, grandparents, bus driver, etc….)
I can assure you this happens. We are dealing with this right now. My wife received a notification that she was being followed on Thursday. Apparently, someone placed an airtag somewhere on her vehicle. We notified police, they came to the house and searched extensively. We took it to my mechanic and had him put it on the lift and spent several hours searching. We still have not been able to locate it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure yall have already tried but on the notification it says you can "play sound" to help locate the tag.
Guess I'd be driving my wife's car until we located that tag...
Gas Tank? That's scary stuff thinking someone can track you wife anytime.
CrownKiller14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 11:48 AM   #28
Bill
Pope & Young

It’s trying to use it for a purpose I don’t think it was intended. If it ‘warns’ somebody they’re being tracked, it would alert the thief or if (God forbid) somebody abducted a child. My 2 cents.

The Spor Trace is more expensive, but would be what I’d use for a high value item or a child’s backpack.

I know local law enforcement use them in operations. I use a Spot Gen3 to 1-way communicate with my wife when hunting here in Montana and in non cell service areas in the mountains. It works well.

Here’s the Trace.

https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/pro...ces/spot-trace

Old 01-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #29
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
Was this a text message, voice message, or what?

My question is...does EVERY iPhone within a prescribed distance from the AirTag receive a notification? If there were 20 people in a crowd, standing near the vehicle with the tag, do they ALL receive a notification??? This makes no sense to me.

Can someone, who actually knows, explain who gets the notification?

[Quote=Crownkiller14;16048594]I'm sure yall have already tried but on the notification it says you can "play sound" to help locate the tag.
Guess I'd be driving my wife's car until we located that tag...
Gas Tank? That's scary stuff thinking someone can track you wife anytime. [/QUOTE

So, your wife was NOT ABLE to "play sound" to locate it?

Last edited by Burnadell; 01-17-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:59 PM   #30
freerhunter16
Ten Point

It is not one of ours. We have never owned an AirTag. The notification was an alert that took her to her maps and showed her the exact route she had been. It had an option to disable the AirTag, but when you click that option it gives an error message. We have driven the car and received the notification three different times. We can not make it play a sound.

We contacted Apple to determine if another device could be causing this notification (air pods, iPad, etc.) and were told no.. that it is definitely an AirTag. Not sure what our next move is at this point but I can tell you we are armed and on full alert at all times. Scary stuff.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:01 PM   #31
freerhunter16
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Are you sure its not alerting off the tag in your daughters backpack by mistake? Or you dropped one on accident between the seats?
My daughter doesn’t have one. I was quoting another response in my post above. We have never owned an AirTag.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #32
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

So if the AirTag isn't a good option for this kind of thing, does anyone have any ideas what would be?
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 02:41 PM   #33
BlackoutRam2500
Ten Point

Quote:

That's some scary stuff man. My wife's car would be at the dealership today getting traded in on a new ride.

And where is Apple in this? My thoughts are once they are contacted by law enforcement informing them of the situation they should be able to deactivate that device.... otherwise be held liable if anything happens.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 03:56 PM   #34
Bill
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
So if the AirTag isn't a good option for this kind of thing, does anyone have any ideas what would be?

See my posts above about the Spot tracker.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:07 PM   #35
kry226
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army...oving-company/
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 05:37 PM   #36
alien_scones
Eight Point

Hunt In: Baird, Callahan, Howe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Are the Airtags android compatible? I know the Apple Air Pods are. But those are BT.
There is an Android app available in the Play Store ( from Apple ) that you can use to detect Air Tags.

Other than that Air Tags don't use Android.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 05:48 PM   #37
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien_scones View Post
There is an Android app available in the Play Store ( from Apple ) that you can use to detect Air Tags.

Other than that Air Tags don't use Android.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thank you sir! I'll check into it.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 07:11 PM   #38
TA_Fab
Eight Point

Quote:
It is not one of ours. We have never owned an AirTag. The notification was an alert that took her to her maps and showed her the exact route she had been. It had an option to disable the AirTag, but when you click that option it gives an error message. We have driven the car and received the notification three different times. We can not make it play a sound.

We contacted Apple to determine if another device could be causing this notification (air pods, iPad, etc.) and were told no.. that it is definitely an AirTag. Not sure what our next move is at this point but I can tell you we are armed and on full alert at all times. Scary stuff.

Man that’s scary, just another thing to worry about. I hope y’all get it resolved!

TA_Fab is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 09:03 PM   #39
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Was this a text message, voice message, or what?

My question is...does EVERY iPhone within a prescribed distance from the AirTag receive a notification? If there were 20 people in a crowd, standing near the vehicle with the tag, do they ALL receive a notification??? This makes no sense to me.

Can someone, who actually knows, explain who gets the notification?

So, your wife was NOT ABLE to "play sound" to locate it?
When I saw this thread yesterday, I went to the Apple site and started reading up on it.

I was kind of a geeky tech person about 20 years ago and would not only build computers but would overclock them for a better speed and such. Now I know almost nothing about techy stuff but if I understand what I read correctly……

The Apple tag runs off of Bluetooth which does not have that much range. If I understood it correctly, it would be able to be picked up by a cell phone a few hundred feet away at the most. Obviously if you lost something it might be a lot farther away than that. The way it notifies you is that if anyone using an iPhone, iPad or MacBook using Bluetooth walks within range, the signal will basically piggyback off of their device and ping a cell tower which will broadcast to you. Again if I understood it correctly, the person whose device pinged it, will not know. It will only be a signal the person who owns the tag and it will not make a noise on that piggyback person’s device or the tag. It only uses that person’s device as a means to ping a tower for a second. Once it locks in that position, it will send it to you only.

Meaning… any one of us using an Apple device with Bluetooth activated might have help recover a personal property and never known it.

The tag App also has an arrow pointing device so when you get within a few feet of it, it will point to where it is located.

Clear as mud?

Last edited by tvc184; 01-17-2022 at 09:05 PM.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 09:52 PM   #40
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
See my posts above about the Spot tracker.

Totally missed that. Thanks.
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2022, 10:35 PM   #41
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
When I saw this thread yesterday, I went to the Apple site and started reading up on it.

I was kind of a geeky tech person about 20 years ago and would not only build computers but would overclock them for a better speed and such. Now I know almost nothing about techy stuff but if I understand what I read correctly……

The Apple tag runs off of Bluetooth which does not have that much range. If I understood it correctly, it would be able to be picked up by a cell phone a few hundred feet away at the most. Obviously if you lost something it might be a lot farther away than that. The way it notifies you is that if anyone using an iPhone, iPad or MacBook using Bluetooth walks within range, the signal will basically piggyback off of their device and ping a cell tower which will broadcast to you. Again if I understood it correctly, the person whose device pinged it, will not know. It will only be a signal the person who owns the tag and it will not make a noise on that piggyback person’s device or the tag. It only uses that person’s device as a means to ping a tower for a second. Once it locks in that position, it will send it to you only.

Meaning… any one of us using an Apple device with Bluetooth activated might have help recover a personal property and never known it.

The tag App also has an arrow pointing device so when you get within a few feet of it, it will point to where it is located.

Clear as mud?
Thanks, TVC! That helps this technophobe!
Old 01-17-2022, 11:44 PM   #42
Duane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady TX

I bought several for my son going to school at A&M, along with a key ring holder and other attachments. He keeps one on his key ring, one in his backpack, one in the car and for Christmas he was given a money clip type wallet that has a holder for one. He’s found them to be pretty useful around the house and on campus. Not necessarily a foolproof anti-theft device, but handy enough for an absent minded college kid.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2022, 12:02 PM   #43
helibow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cty and Colorado

I installed Trak4 on all mine - worth the investment. I pay $9 for hourly updates on location. If they move, it tells me.. and I can switch it to real time tracking if I need.
helibow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 10:06 AM   #44
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Any recent Airtag stories or updates?
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 01:33 PM   #45
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

I’m a fan…I think total we have a dozen or so of them, but not all are on the same account.

my stuff tends to get scattered and I have equipment that is used by multiple employees….

There are iPhones everywhere.

Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #46
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Any clue what they are made of? Curious if there's a price inflection point coming where they'll get a lot cheaper. I'd like to put them in juglines, fishing poles, and other things.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 01:50 PM   #47
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County (2015-2021) Van Zandt County since 2017

https://www.amazingfacts.org/news-an...minal-activity
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 01:54 PM   #48
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post

Hmmm
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 08:19 AM   #49
kry226
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with that website. However, despite my dedication to, and belief in, the last few paragraphs of the article, I gotta tell ya that the devotional caught me off guard.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 09:21 PM   #50
brokeno
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Last year when I was Nalgi hunting in an area I had never set foot on before I left one in my truck and on my tripod I set up. It was cold misty and raining so it was easy to get turned around but I could always tell where my tripod and truck were.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top