Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-16-2022, 01:23 PM   #101
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I would suggest anyone doing this either have an airtag hidden or GPS tracker installed. Or both
Air tag only works within 30í of an iPhone. Not a guarantee.
captainsling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 01:33 PM   #102
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
Air tag only works within 30í of an iPhone. Not a guarantee.
Yeah but they are cheap and there are a lot of iphones out there at campsites and RV parks
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 04:43 PM   #103
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Yeah but they are cheap and there are a lot of iphones out there at campsites and RV parks

Does it work with just any iPhone or only the one itís paired to?
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2022, 04:49 PM   #104
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Does it work with just any iPhone or only the one itís paired to?
It will use any Iphone in the area
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #105
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Tina texted Ron on Sunday to let him know that we expect to get our trailer back this week, like he told the detective, along with the past due payments. Since he admitted to the detective that it was still rented, he didn't realize that he confirmed how much he owes us.

He finally responded to the text last night and said that we could come get our trailer next Friday, the 30th, but it would take him a few weeks to audit our account to see IF he owed us any money!

I do expect, whenever we do get the trailer, that it won't be in very good condition. I plan to pull it directly back to the dealership that we bought it from, for them to go through the whole thing and give us an estimate of repairs on everything except normal wear and tear. I know they're not going to have the rest of our payments when we get the trailer, and I doubt, even when they figure out that they owe us for 6 months, that they'll be able to pay up.

I'm not a litigious person, but I am anticipating having to sue them for the past due payments as well as damages. They painted themselves into a corner when their contract says they do all the general repairs out of their 60% fee. They haven't seen the trailer in 2 years. I imagine when it gets to their lot, they'll be scrambling to get it clean and repaired.

I'll have to check with Tina, but I think they even charged us for the yearly inspections, and never did them. I'll tack that on too.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2022, 11:57 AM   #106
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

So now it will be a week later than what they told the detective?

I would be on the horn with the detective and have him go by there again. I would not wait another week for it. He is kicking the can down the road at this point. I would be very surprised if he actually knows where you camper is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2022, 12:13 PM   #107
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

As others mentioned, likely your insurance will deny coverage because you rented it out.

Depending on trailer value, I think I would file suit against Vakay, then if they turn it in to their insurance for defense, then you might get some money. Suit will need to be couched in terms of their negligence in renting and entrusting to unqualified renters, failing to properly vet renters, etc. unpaid rent owed.

If you allege theft, very well could plead yourself out of Vakay's insurance. Most all CGL policies exclude coverage for claims arising out of criminal acts.

Last edited by wellingtontx; 09-21-2022 at 12:15 PM.
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2022, 12:44 PM   #108
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
So now it will be a week later than what they told the detective?
I would be on the horn with the detective and have him go by there again. I would not wait another week for it. He is kicking the can down the road at this point. I would be very surprised if he actually knows where you camper is.

This is what I'm thinking. 10% chance he will be able to get the trailer on the 30th.

A few weeks to audit the account my *****!! Stay on him. Try to get something from him ASAP even if it's only 10-20% of what they owe you. The more you get now the better the odds they pay you off in the future. Once it goes to court why would he ever pay you a dime?

Last edited by RiverRat1; 09-21-2022 at 12:46 PM.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #109
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

If I had to make an educated guess, I would say he has no idea where the camper is currently unless they installed some type of gps before it left. These people probably stopped paying, stopped answering the phone, and took off long ago.

That is how some of our customers operate at least.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2022, 01:12 PM   #110
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

I wouldn't give that guy a inch. If he had reached out, I might be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd sic the detective on him the minute his time ran out.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2022, 01:36 PM   #111
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

The more I think about this the more I'm sure he's screwing you.

Audit - Takes 5 minutes. Did he cut you checks or not? LOL Gee that was tough.

I agree, don't give him an inch. Demand money today. At least some. Be prepared to fight off excuses. It's none of your business if the trailer was stolen, the guy didn't pay rent, etc.. That's why he takes 60% because that's his business.

Be careful as he will most likely be changing numbers and will say it was only rented 30 days over the last 6 months. So you need to catch him first admitting the guy had it this entire time (on tape if you can).

Get with detective ASAP - Tell him you don't want to wait another week just to hear the next excuse. I'm sure the detective knows its all BS. Hopefully he gets after him today or tomorrow.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #112
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

I have some guys that can go talk to him.

curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2022, 11:12 PM   #113
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
Detective told him that if it wasn't back next week that he would be responsible for the theft of the trailer.
I would throttle this demand and follow thru on the filing of stolen property if the trailer doesn’t show up on time.

They have had their chance. The6 chose this path, not you.
Greenheadless is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2022, 11:20 PM   #114
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Kevin, you want I should go pay him a visit on your behalf and splain the rules of ethics to him? I will be traveling down 59/69 pretty soon.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 12:05 AM   #115
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post

Sign me up coach!
MASTERS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 12:14 AM   #116
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Tina texted Ron on Sunday to let him know that we expect to get our trailer back this week, like he told the detective, along with the past due payments. Since he admitted to the detective that it was still rented, he didn't realize that he confirmed how much he owes us.

He finally responded to the text last night and said that we could come get our trailer next Friday, the 30th, but it would take him a few weeks to audit our account to see IF he owed us any money!

I do expect, whenever we do get the trailer, that it won't be in very good condition. I plan to pull it directly back to the dealership that we bought it from, for them to go through the whole thing and give us an estimate of repairs on everything except normal wear and tear. I know they're not going to have the rest of our payments when we get the trailer, and I doubt, even when they figure out that they owe us for 6 months, that they'll be able to pay up.

I'm not a litigious person, but I am anticipating having to sue them for the past due payments as well as damages. They painted themselves into a corner when their contract says they do all the general repairs out of their 60% fee. They haven't seen the trailer in 2 years. I imagine when it gets to their lot, they'll be scrambling to get it clean and repaired.

I'll have to check with Tina, but I think they even charged us for the yearly inspections, and never did them. I'll tack that on too.
You say you arenít litigious, and I think that just a good thing regarding most conflicts, but you are well past the point of being accommodating. Itís time to bring in an attorney and throw everything you can at him. These are the kinds of instances where attorneys are beneficial to resolving your cause. I hope it works out for you, just judging based on your posts in this thread you have been more than reasonable
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 12:40 AM   #117
RR 314
Pope & Young

If he says you can pick it up the 30th, if he really thinks he will have it back/ready then, I would start going up there whenever practical and see if it is on the lot and document the condition before he starts putting a lipstick on it. While I was there, I would honestly not leave the dude’s office until he cut me a check for the rent. Would also have the recorder on my phone going at all times.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 12:52 AM   #118
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellingtontx View Post
As others mentioned, likely your insurance will deny coverage because you rented it out.

Depending on trailer value, I think I would file suit against Vakay, then if they turn it in to their insurance for defense, then you might get some money. Suit will need to be couched in terms of their negligence in renting and entrusting to unqualified renters, failing to properly vet renters, etc. unpaid rent owed.

If you allege theft, very well could plead yourself out of Vakay's insurance. Most all CGL policies exclude coverage for claims arising out of criminal acts.
Solid advice, grasshopper. :-). Also, look at your K and see if there is a waiver section to see if you waived any causes of action. Most notably Section 17.41.
Old 09-22-2022, 01:10 AM   #119
dhall1414
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

well now i'm hooked. in for updates
dhall1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 01:14 AM   #120
RR 314
Pope & Young

Good grief. . .

Challenge them double or nothing on back rent with a spelling contest.
Attached Images

Last edited by RR 314; 09-22-2022 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:08 AM   #121
tvc184
Pope & Young

https://youtu.be/CPTA8HbdLjw
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 07:50 AM   #122
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Glad you are getting movement on this Kevin. Hoping for the best when it all plays out.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 09:17 AM   #123
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

What a crappy deal. Hope itís not trashed when you get it back. I can drag it with my truck if you need help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 09:44 AM   #124
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Be careful as he will most likely be changing numbers and will say it was only rented 30 days over the last 6 months. So you need to catch him first admitting the guy had it this entire time (on tape if you can).

Get with detective ASAP - Tell him you don't want to wait another week just to hear the next excuse. I'm sure the detective knows its all BS. Hopefully he gets after him today or tomorrow.

Good luck.
He's already screwed himself on that. We have text messages showing (Tina started texting, instead of calling, to have a record of everything) that we told him that we wanted the trailer returned in March, when our contract was up. If the trailer wasn't rented, there is absolutely no reason to not return it. He also told the detective that it was still rented and in Louisiana. He doesn't have a leg to stand on in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Kevin, you want I should go pay him a visit on your behalf and splain the rules of ethics to him? I will be traveling down 59/69 pretty soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERS View Post
Sign me up coach!
This would be a good video for COPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
What a crappy deal. Hope itís not trashed when you get it back. I can drag it with my truck if you need help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Matt, I think I have a friend lined up to take care of it, but if he can't make it, I might be giving you a call.

I'm going to make sure the detective goes back by there tomorrow and turns up the heat.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:59 AM   #125
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I have a feeling itís going to be so trashed out you are not going to want it back .
Strummer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 05:55 PM   #126
alien_scones
Eight Point

Hunt In: Baird, Callahan, Howe

Didja get your camper back?
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 06:13 PM   #127
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

I too was also thinking about this thread and wondering if any updates.
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 06:46 PM   #128
BigYoung
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freestone County TX

[QUOTE=Texastaxi;16412484]Tina texted Ron on Sunday to let him know that we expect to get our trailer back this week, like he told the detective, along with the past due payments. Since he admitted to the detective that it was still rented, he didn't realize that he confirmed how much he owes us.

You are gonna have to take this guy to the train station..
BigYoung is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 09:00 PM   #129
ByronB
Pope & Young

The 30th cannot get here fast enough for this thread. That and it’s payday.
Thanks for posting this fiasco because it does help others to make future considerations. Sorry you all have had to go through this mess.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 07:53 AM   #130
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Tina was reviewing Vakay's Venmo account; I didn't even know you could do that. Not surprising, they're behind on other payments as well. One lady had sent them payment requests with an added late charge. Tina contacted her. Imagine our surprise when she said they weren't paying her either. She was in a little different situation though. She had owner financed her trailer to them, with a contract drawn up by a lawyer. They were still paying her the lease money, but also a monthly payment to buy the trailer. They were behind on both payments.

Tomorrow is the day. I think Tina is waiting to hear from the detective before we make a plan to proceed. I seriously doubt the trailer will be there tomorrow, as promised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYoung View Post
You are gonna have to take this guy to the train station..
That would save a bunch of people, from a lot of stress, down the road.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:07 AM   #131
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

sounds to me like a larger case at hand and the vakay people need to wear some new bracelets.
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 09:24 AM   #132
Duckologist
Ten Point

In

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 09:41 AM   #133
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Tina was reviewing Vakay's Venmo account; I didn't even know you could do that. Not surprising, they're behind on other payments as well. One lady had sent them payment requests with an added late charge. Tina contacted her. Imagine our surprise when she said they weren't paying her either. She was in a little different situation though. She had owner financed her trailer to them, with a contract drawn up by a lawyer. They were still paying her the lease money, but also a monthly payment to buy the trailer. They were behind on both payments.

Tomorrow is the day. I think Tina is waiting to hear from the detective before we make a plan to proceed. I seriously doubt the trailer will be there tomorrow, as promised.

That would save a bunch of people, from a lot of stress, down the road.
Yikes. I see a bankruptcy filing forthcoming. Hope it is just they are lazy, but seems like they are having cash issues.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #134
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
sounds to me like a larger case at hand and the vakay people need to wear some new bracelets.
That other lady is going to contact others in the Venmo list. We will have our ducks in a row before we proceed past getting our trailer back.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:57 AM   #135
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
That other lady is going to contact others in the Venmo list. We will have our ducks in a row before we proceed past getting our trailer back.
Good.

Seems to me the owners got used to burning the money they were raking in. Failed to save to pay the bills, took in more money and burned that. Before they knew it, it was too late
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 09:59 AM   #136
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Hope everything works out for you bro. You have been extremely patient with these morons. I commend you for your cool head under pressure. I definitely will not be renting our toy hauler now.
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 10:15 AM   #137
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Just read this. My nephews have a large scale mowing business in Ft Bend County. Over the years they have had several trailers and tractors stolen from them. Luckily for them they have GPS trackers on everything. Having worked at the Ft Bend County Sheriff's Office I reached out to an Ex Co Worker who was in auto theft and gave him the coordinates of the mowers, trailers or tractors. A couple cases got filed but nothing ever happened to anyone. When I looked up the cases I saw they were dismissed. This was interesting to me since I was, at the time an investigator the the District Attorneys Office. I went up to the prosecutors office and asked them what was going on and they said, we could not prove who stole the machines. Remind you, the guys truck was on video, the video shoed him having a limp just like the person caught with the the machines, the trailers which was stolen was found 2 blocks from his house but they still dismissed it because it was not a solid case.

To the OP I hope you get your stuff back as that is better than anything. However I have not been very impressed with the DAs office in our county. Maybe that's why I no longer work there. Let me know if you need any contacts of have any question's, comments or concerns.
rut-ro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 10:54 AM   #138
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
JMO - You need to charge in like a rabid dog...Push the limits of going to jail yourself. Sounds like the loudest meanest dog may get some money and everyone else who plays nice will be waiting for years to get maybe something.

It doesn't matter if your one minute away from getting some money if they declare BK. It resets to a whole new ball game.

I really hope you can force something out of them tomorrow. They should still have some money flowing in through renters. I can't stand the thought of people like this getting away with screwing so many people.

Is there a way to contact courts where they'd file for bankruptcy? You know they'd file based on covid, recession, and any other BS they can make up (except blowing the money).
Old 09-29-2022, 12:45 PM   #139
TX Fireman 911
Four Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg

Quote:
JMO - You need to charge in like a rabid dog...Push the limits of going to jail yourself. Sounds like the loudest meanest dog may get some money and everyone else who plays nice will be waiting for years to get maybe something.
Problem with our laws in this country is that he would likely be locked up for doing such a thing and the real bad guy is the one who gets protected

Man I hope you get these idiots and kill their business so they can do this anymore
TX Fireman 911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 02:45 PM   #140
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

I said "push the limits" Didn't say go beat or bite the guy. Just sit in his office and demand money until he calls the cops.

No way to win by sitting back playing nice.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:22 PM   #141
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

Quote:
I said "push the limits" Didn't say go beat or bite the guy. Just sit in his office and demand money until he calls the cops.
..or pulls out the sawed off from under his desk.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 07:09 PM   #142
Tx_Wader
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Looking forward to a happy ending tomorrow, but let us know if it doesn't go that way.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 08:46 AM   #143
Das71198
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria County

Hopefully everything goes well for you today.
Das71198 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 08:47 AM   #144
14JKURX
Ten Point

Hopefully everything goes your way today!
14JKURX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #145
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Good luck.

Let us know when you're meeting this guy.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:17 AM   #146
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

In for an update!
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 10:25 AM   #147
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

In for the write up/LDPs
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 10:30 AM   #148
Cliff Dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Hope it goes well today
Cliff Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 10:53 AM   #149
TB80
Ten Point

How much do they owe you? Whenever you talk to a lawyer, make sure you ask them about the estimated costs to pursue them and even ask for a break down on what it will cost to send a demand letter, file the petition, go through discovery, have a trial, etc... Also discuss with them the options and opportunity for collecting on any judgment and whether you can recover your attorney's fees.

It sounds like you have a strong case. However, often times in this scenario, these types of actions mean the bad actor doesn't have any money. If that's the case, you may spend a bunch on an attorney, win in court, and get a piece of paper saying you won that you can frame and hang on your wall, but that's it. You just need to go into it with eyes wide open and make sure you aren't throwing good money after bad.
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 11:53 AM   #150
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Tina called and texted the detective on Wednesday and again yesterday. She's at chemo today, so she's going to try again around noon. I do have a friend with a truck on standby.

My guess is like Mayhem said earlier, I think he's just buying time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB80 View Post
How much do they owe you? Whenever you talk to a lawyer, make sure you ask them about the estimated costs to pursue them and even ask for a break down on what it will cost to send a demand letter, file the petition, go through discovery, have a trial, etc... Also discuss with them the options and opportunity for collecting on any judgment and whether you can recover your attorney's fees.

It sounds like you have a strong case. However, often times in this scenario, these types of actions mean the bad actor doesn't have any money. If that's the case, you may spend a bunch on an attorney, win in court, and get a piece of paper saying you won that you can frame and hang on your wall, but that's it. You just need to go into it with eyes wide open and make sure you aren't throwing good money after bad.
Right now they owe us for 6 months at $800 a month, so $4,800. No telling how much it's going to cost us to get the trailer back to the condition it was in when we took it to them.