Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #1
Texashookset
Six Point

Hunt In: Webb
Default CanAm UTV, anyone have one?

And if so any comparisons you can share if youíve had the others (rangers, mules, etc)?
Texashookset is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 06:06 PM   #2
Ag 96
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Antonio River Bottom

Have a 2020 defender… it’s been a helluva lot better than my old Ranger. Comfortable, good suspension, and, most importantly, no problems. No complaints on my part… by two years in on the Ranger, I’d been though three axles.
Ag 96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 06:09 PM   #3
rjet
Pope & Young

I had a defender, loved that machine. Speed, handling, suspension and comfort was great. Had it around 3 years and never any issues.
I sold it to get a 2 seater and went with mule pro fxt. Only reason I did not get another defender was the cost. I love the mule, has been great so far. But it does not compare to the can am.
rjet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 06:22 PM   #4
Texashookset
Six Point

Perfect info right there. Sold the same FXT Pro couple of years ago and really liked it. Smooth as hell compared to the rangers or Viking I had but it didn’t have the power of either in the mud (ranch road kind of boggy or hauling goose people/gear thru rice fields but I’m done doing that type of hunting). Thank y’all.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:32 PM   #5
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Have a defender and it's been great so far. Tons of power speed and pretty comfortable but It's not near as smooth riding as my fxt I had though. Not even close. It does have alot more room to haul gear people ect.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 06:43 PM   #6
TX03RUBI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hall County

I bought my first Can Am UTV in 2013 and bought another in 2018. My dad bought one at the same time I bought mine, and bought another the same time I bought my second. My brother in law bought a Range the same time we bought our first. Heís been through 2 motors, a ton of axles, and quite a few small parts. Iíve been through one control arm and one shock, and that was because I decided my Can Am was stouter than a stump in the grass. My dad has yet to do anything other than regular maintenance. I bought my boy a Ranger a few months ago, and thatís the only Polaris that will ever (dis)grace my garage. If Can Am made a 150-200cc Defender thatís what would be parked in its spot.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 06:48 PM   #7
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

I have a 2018 (I think) Defender. No problems whatsoever. I had a 2009 Ranger up to that point and sold it to my son. No problems with it either except for the plastic seat bottom. That was a poor design. He still has it and no problems. I just like the CanAm storage and the ride. The power steering is great but I guess they all have that if you are willing to pay for it.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 06:57 PM   #8
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Defender is great except my Honda goes a lot more places. Defender is more like a car IMO and it kicks up any stick that gets within a country mile and hits underneath. Also the transmission is ok once driving but hate how you have to give it gas then it kicks in gear and goes.

But in all other aspects it's better...faster, smoother, bigger, more options.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 07:12 PM   #9
stoic
Four Point

Hunt In: Edwards County, Matagorda County, Brazoria County

UK in a iinijio ooo
stoic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 07:54 PM   #10
Texashookset
Six Point

Thank all y’all again, you too slow guy above. All the input I was looking for as I’ve never been around or have buddies that have had one.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:47 PM   #11
keep
Pope & Young

I have a 2022 can am defender and we use it for work around here and cattle. It’s been great. I haven’t had it to the lease but have hauled water, spray rigs, welding trailer, trailer of hay and loaded it down with cow cubes to move. Not a hiccup.
Shockvalue has a ranger we use at the lease and his is a 2012. I really can’t say a bad thing about that machine either. The ranger does feel a bit smoother but I suspect it’s because we have the shocks set polar opposite of one another, mine are set super stiff because of the loads I’ve been moving.
The ranger has the typical stuff we have worked on (oil, shocks, brakes) and that has been very easy to do so when I started looking I was leaning towards a ranger.
All that said, I have no issues with my ca am except those stupid locks for adding things to the bed. Ranger has circular holes and you can use to drop tools in, I know Polaris didn’t patent the holes, they use those pain in the but locks so you spend more money.
keep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 02:45 PM   #12
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

I guide on a ranch with 4 other guides. They all drive Rangers, I have the can am defender max crew xt 2022. They all say my seats are more comfortable, mines rides smoother and is more quite. other than changing the fluids, I've had no issues and its a pretty rough piece of land were on. Only thing I don't like is the brakes are squeaky.
junior is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 02:52 PM   #13
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: NTX & WTX

HD10 the best UTV out there IMO. Rides smooth, very comfortable and does seem a little quieter than the Ranger.
Fmjag64 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 02:54 PM   #14
Gclyde12
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction, Freer

swapped from a ranger to a defender and it is unbelievably more comfortable and spacious.
Gclyde12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 02:55 PM   #15
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

2017 Defender crew. Nearly 1000 hours and no problems.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top