Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-07-2022, 10:57 PM   #1
brunner
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lavaca/Comal County
Default French Press Coffee Drinkers?

Anyone a coffee connoisseurs?

I have never had French Press Coffee.

I throughly enjoy trying all types of coffees even then basic soccer mom flavor like pumpkin spice or nitro cold brew, etc.

Anyone a french press coffee drinker? Worth the extra effort and time?

And no I donít drink Folgers or Maxwell HouseI draw the line at community coffee lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brunner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 11:07 PM   #2
Puggy625
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS

Tell me you're gay, without telling me you're gay.

Lol. J/k, sort of.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
Puggy625 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 11:11 PM   #3
Slabby
Four Point

There's no extra effort or time. It's about as simple as it gets
Slabby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 11:16 PM   #4
r_u_sharp_2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunner View Post
Anyone a coffee connoisseurs?

I have never had French Press Coffee.

I throughly enjoy trying all types of coffees even then basic soccer mom flavor like pumpkin spice or nitro cold brew, etc.

Anyone a french press coffee drinker? Worth the extra effort and time?

And no I donít drink Folgers or Maxwell HouseI draw the line at community coffee lol

It isnt much more time than your drip machine and to me, you get a richer better flavor.

I buy whole bean and grind each day based on weight and compare it to how much water. I kept a log until I found my sweet spot.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
r_u_sharp_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 11:16 PM   #5
Drop Tine
Ten Point

You won’t regret it.
Drop Tine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 11:19 PM   #6
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

French press got us through the freeze!!!!
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 11:22 PM   #7
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

It does make a great Cup of coffee. That being said, I drink 3/4 a pot of coffee every morning and it’s a royal PITA with a French press. I don’t miss it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 11:25 PM   #8
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Does it taste better? Yes.
Is there a PITA factor added? Yes.

For me, it is not worth the extra effort to bypass a coffee maker. Throw filter out, dump excess coffee, swirl water around pot.

With French press, it gets colder while steeping, cleaning up is more time consuming. If the coffee is good, then I don't need to enhance it with a French press.

Also, use heavy whipping cream instead of half and half. But I will warn you, you will NEVER go back.
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 11:26 PM   #9
Bigfootwolff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Colorado County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DW5 View Post
Same here, and I actually enjoyed it, and not just because it was hot. I think if I experimented with the amount of the coffee grinds and water ratio, I could really lock in a good combination as someone noted above.
Bigfootwolff is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 11:40 PM   #10
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

We do the pour over with the filter cone in the top of the French press pot. Boil a tea kettle full of water and then slowly pour it over the ground coffee. Doesn't take long at all and very good coffee.

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 11:44 PM   #11
Nate Riley
Ten Point

I use an AeroPress and thoroughly enjoy it! https://aeropress.com/

I also do pour over sometimes, with the simple little plastic thing you put over a cup.
Nate Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 12:04 AM   #12
docmay
Pope & Young

We use one in the trailer throughout hunting season. I can’t imagine that makes me gay! I like good, black coffee in the am and a French press is the easiest way for us. Just boil water, mix with ground, let it sit and then press. Pretty darn easy! To me it’s about like cowboy coffee. I do love the taste and don’t consider it the least bit high brow.
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 12:12 AM   #13
dhall1414
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
We do the pour over with the filter cone in the top of the French press pot. Boil a tea kettle full of water and then slowly pour it over the ground coffee. Doesn't take long at all and very good coffee.

i was just using a refillable keurig but my wife is a self professed coffee snob and she tried a bunch of different stuff before settling on using a pour over. i can't tell the difference really but i always put heavy whipping cream in my coffee so maybe it's enough to throw off the subtle flavors she's always talking about.
dhall1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 06:12 AM   #14
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Same here ,messy as hell but really good. Still like my perculator

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 06:23 AM   #15
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Yep. Grind the beans too so it is a little extra work. Worth it though IMO. Wife and I only drink a couple cups in the morning.
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 07:30 AM   #16
deerwatcher51
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Quote:
ThisÖMy first introduction to a French Press was on an island off of the coast of Honduras. We were staying at a friends house on the island and that was the way they made coffee. It was as good as any other way I had coffee before. After that trip, my wife bought me one sorta as a gag gift. I put it in the closet and pretty much forgot about it. Fast forward to the big freeze when we were without power for 52 hours, I thought of the French press, dug it out of the closet, boiled some water on the propane cooktop and we were off to the races.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 07:55 AM   #17
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

It is a splendid way to experience the full body of the bean. Your pallet will immediately be fully engaged with the full robust flavor and aroma! Best enjoyed while listening to anything by Elton John.

Last edited by sharkhunter; 09-08-2022 at 08:04 AM.
sharkhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 08:56 AM   #18
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

I like French press. To me the extra effort is in the cleanup, washing the grinds out of an off of the press. I have a double walled stainless steel press that doesnít cool as fast as glass.

Iím very intrigued by a traditional Costa Rican chorreador for making coffee
Name:  DEE5BBF3-8B05-4716-8564-2F7D3417076B.jpeg
Views: 659
Size:  133.9 KB
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 08:58 AM   #19
txbowman12
Six Point

Hunt In: Fayette County

I use French press, takes up less space, plus you can always boil water, can’t always power up a drip coffee maker.
txbowman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #20
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
It does make a great Cup of coffee. That being said, I drink 3/4 a pot of coffee every morning and itís a royal PITA with a French press. I donít miss it.
You need a bigger French Press and a thermos or carafe to keep it hot.

My French Press makes 1 cup at a time and I really really enjoy my coffee made with it on the weekends. If I'm expecting more than 1 person, I often make it French Press - Cowboy style.

I'll use a 12 cup blue camp style coffee pot,
  • put water in up to just below the bottom pour hole,
  • heat the water until just when bubbles start to appear,
  • add 1/2 cup of coffee grinds, bring to a rolling boil. (watch the coffee acid foam off)
  • Boil for 4 minutes.
  • Then take ice cold water and pour slowly in the spout and around the edges and some in the middle. The cold water will push the grinds down to the bottom.
  • Slowly pour a cup. There won't be any grinds or very few grinds in your cup.
(If I'm worried about grinds, then I'll use a cup sized metal strainer or cheesecloth. It is some of the best coffee I've ever had.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 09:23 AM   #21
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post

My French Press makes 1 cup at a time and I really really enjoy my coffee made with it on the weekends. If I'm expecting more than 1 person, I often make it French Press - Cowboy style.

• add 1/2 cup of coffee grinds, bring to a rolling boil. (watch the coffee acid foam off)
  • Boil for 4 minutes.
  • Then take ice cold water and pour slowly in the spout and around the edges and some in the middle. The cold water will push the grinds down to the bottom.
(If I'm worried about grinds, then I'll use a cup sized metal strainer or cheesecloth. It is some of the best coffee I've ever had.

Well, if THAT's "French Press" coffee, I'm all in! Been makin' "boiled coffee" for over 60 years... didn't know I was makin' such fancy coffee!! Several years ago, I got a little glass straight-sided beaker looking thing with a plunger/filter that fit on top of it... after makin' the coffee like posted above, I pour it into that little glass pot and press the filter down slowly to separate the coffee from the grounds...

Yes, it's more of a PITA, but it sure makes a good cup of coffee... Sadly though, just about every morning, it's just a Kurig cup or two in my 20 ounce RTIC thermal cup and off to the office I go!!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 09:42 AM   #22
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

I make one press full every two days. I drink half one day then half the next. The second day is microwaved and never tastes as good as the first day.

Consider blooming the fresh ground coffee to oxidize and release co2 and other gases/aromatics within the bean. Essentially moistening the grounds with warm water and letting sit for a minute or so before adding the rest of the water. Take a deep whiff. Blooming allows the fresh ground beans to express full flavor and beneficial chemicals before drowning/steeping in water and pressing. Or some chit.

Coffee beans lose alot of antioxidants and other good chemicals after grinding. So….grinding should be done as close to blooming amd steeping as possible.

Upside: Its almost impossible to burn french press coffee since there is no burner.
Downside: Glass press caraffes break easily

Ive been meaning to buy a metal camp press/kettle pot all-in-one that goes directly to the fire or heat source.

Good slurping MrBrunner
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 10:00 AM   #23
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Makes an awesome cup.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #24
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Grind a little coarser. I enjoy a press but prefer pour over.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 10:41 AM   #25
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Riley View Post

I also do pour over sometimes, with the simple little plastic thing you put over a cup.
We were at a fishing cabin a few weeks ago and one of my buddies is a coffee guru. He is an early riser and made the coffee every morning. If you have time, the aero and pour over, with fresh hand ground beans is a game changer. He would also heat the half and half before going into the coffee. Best coffee I've ever had. That with breakfast taco, followed up with a Hemingway Short story cigar for breakfast makes me wonder why I didn't just stay there forever.
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 11:10 AM   #26
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:

• Boil for 4 minutes.
Iíll try it! Thanks
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 11:23 AM   #27
easeup
Ten Point

I dont have one....but I have had coffee from them and they do make a great coffee
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 11:32 AM   #28
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble County

I’m a coffee snob, I’ll admit it! I have a drip maker, 2 French presses, a pour over and a K cup machine. I love a press or pour over, but I typically only do that on the weekend due to time. Try a press…guarantee you won’t be disappointed!
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #29
Chew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Well, if THAT's "French Press" coffee, I'm all in! Been makin' "boiled coffee" for over 60 years... didn't know I was makin' such fancy coffee!! Several years ago, I got a little glass straight-sided beaker looking thing with a plunger/filter that fit on top of it... after makin' the coffee like posted above, I pour it into that little glass pot and press the filter down slowly to separate the coffee from the grounds...

Yes, it's more of a PITA, but it sure makes a good cup of coffee... Sadly though, just about every morning, it's just a Kurig cup or two in my 20 ounce RTIC thermal cup and off to the office I go!!!
That's cowboy coffee!
Old 09-08-2022, 12:23 PM   #30
Hardware
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

I use the below and it will keep hot all day in the carafe. Boil water, pour over coffee in french press put top on and let steep three minutes. Press coffee and pour in carafe.

Frieling Double-Walled Stainless-Steel French Press Coffee Maker, Polished, 44 Ounces

Emsa Eleganza Stainless Steel Insulated Carafe, 44-Ounce
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 12:44 PM   #31
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Riley View Post

I'm also a fan of the aeropress. Simple and makes a solid cup of coffee
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 04:02 PM   #32
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

French Press - Cowboy Style!
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 04:42 PM   #33
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
French Press - Cowboy Style!
Yes ma'am but we used a 1/2 gallon syrup bucket as the pot... laid a green sweetgum limb across the top of the bucket so it wouldn't boil over... Didn't know back then there was anything "French" about it either!! We had a spring fed creek that ran through our place that had the best water there ever was... made coffee with that water and a syrup bucket propped up on a few rocks with a pine knot fire many a time with my dad and brother... What I wouldn't give for one more chance to do that with my dad!! He's went home Christmas Eve '99... Makes me happy thinking about those things now rather than sad... kind'a funny how time and the Lord fixes things...
Old 09-08-2022, 04:44 PM   #34
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Oh and we didn't put no cream or any other fu-fu stuff in it either... like my dad always said, "Son, it don't take a whole lot of water to make a good cup of coffee!"
Old 09-08-2022, 06:58 PM   #35
innergel
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
Grind a little coarser. I enjoy a press but prefer pour over.

agreed about the course grind and pourover
innergel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 07:07 PM   #36
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

French press makes a good cup of coffee. I bought a Chemex a while back. That's probably my favorite way to brew coffee. But it's more of a process than a French press. Smooth coffee though.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2022, 11:24 AM   #37
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom87 View Post
Does it taste better? Yes.
Is there a PITA factor added? Yes.

For me, it is not worth the extra effort to bypass a coffee maker. Throw filter out, dump excess coffee, swirl water around pot.

With French press, it gets colder while steeping, cleaning up is more time consuming. If the coffee is good, then I don't need to enhance it with a French press.

Also, use heavy whipping cream instead of half and half. But I will warn you, you will NEVER go back.
I have an announcement to make

For the reasons stated above, I did not think I would go back to a french press. However, I find myself drinking 1-2 cups of coffee every day. The past few weeks I have been dusting off my french press, putting ground coffee in it and head into the office. The office does provide free coffee, and they do have a Starbucks. But I'm tired of spending $3.94 on a 20 oz coffee and I'm also can't stand the horrid taste of the free coffee. It's worse than Folgers. My saving grace is the "hot water" tap on their coffee maker. If I had to guess, it's 211*F. It will scald you.

So, French Press it is. In this case, it's worth the hassle for a good cup of low cost coffee in my current predicament.
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2022, 11:38 AM   #38
osochuck
Six Point

We have these, so awesome

osochuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #39
Mitchell8
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Its good
Mitchell8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2022, 11:57 AM   #40
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I do when camping or when I come back from Hawaii with a bunch of Kona coffee
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2022, 11:10 PM   #41
brunner
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lavaca/Comal County

Quote:
Originally Posted by osochuck View Post
We have these, so awesome

Thatís legit

Added to xmas list lol

brunner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2022, 11:20 PM   #42
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: HF4L

Raise your hand if this thread should have been started on October 11th
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2022, 11:25 PM   #43
Chew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Raise your hand if this thread should have been started on October 11th
You told me all about the pumpkin spice lattes y'all made on the elk hunt. Don't be acting all tough now

Old 10-13-2022, 11:27 PM   #44
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
You told me all about the pumpkin spice lattes y'all made on the elk hunt. Don't be acting all tough now

Ya, but we filtered it through an elk scrotum...
Old 10-13-2022, 11:42 PM   #45
Chew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Ya, but we filtered it through an elk scrotum...
That escalated quickly!

What did y'all stir with?

Old 10-13-2022, 11:44 PM   #46
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
That escalated quickly!

What did y'all stir with?

Straight black....no need for a stir stick!
Old 10-14-2022, 01:11 AM   #47
El General
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
I like French press. To me the extra effort is in the cleanup, washing the grinds out of an off of the press. I have a double walled stainless steel press that doesnít cool as fast as glass.

Iím very intrigued by a traditional Costa Rican chorreador for making coffee
Attachment 1101584
I had one when I lived in Costa Rica. Pour over before pour over was cool. It makes a great cup of coffee.
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2022, 02:41 AM   #48
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

French Press makes a great cup of coffee.

My favorite coffee is when we break out the Moka PotÖ..

Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #49
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Bwahahah, Iím crying about the scrotum filter and stir stick. Good thread! I love coffee but percolated is my go to. Never pressed anything coffee wise.

hoythunter02 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2022, 09:55 AM   #50
Fused11C
Four Point

Hunt In: TX to OK

French Pressed coffee in the morn and hibiscus tea in the evening. The FP is essential.
Fused11C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top