No announcement yet.

Matagorda Island youth hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just was looking on Google Maps and there is actually a light dotted line on the route from POC to the state park. If you look real close you'll see it. It starts at Clark's on the ICW and runs the route you need to take all the way to Matagorda Island State Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
      I just was looking on Google Maps and there is actually a light dotted line on the route from POC to the state park. If you look real close you'll see it. It starts at Clark's on the ICW and runs the route you need to take all the way to Matagorda Island State Park.
      Thanks Capt Glenn, I will check that out.

Comment

I live in POC full time and the weather can get a little rough at the last minute. Just run the shoreline. If the weather gets nasty I would suggest hiring a guide to get you and your kiddo out there. My husband is a guide and can run you out there if the weather gets rough. Better to be safe and plan for the worst.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Crazzy View Post
          You can make it but it will heavily depend on the weather.
          ^^^ this^^^ i have been in Matagorda bay in a 34' boat during some crap and it was rough!!

Comment

For the protected route you're fine unless there's West or especially NW in the wind in which case it can get hairy. There have been sunk boats and drownings out there so if it's bad buddy boat with someone or pay a guide to drop you off, they do ferry trips fairly cheap. We all got woke up one night in our tents by coast guard and sheriffs looking for some guys who went on a beer run, found their boat capsized.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
              I don't see it on my maps, it's not the kayaking trail is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiechick View Post
                I live in POC full time and the weather can get a little rough at the last minute. Just run the shoreline. If the weather gets nasty I would suggest hiring a guide to get you and your kiddo out there. My husband is a guide and can run you out there if the weather gets rough. Better to be safe and plan for the worst.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
                This is your best option. That place can be tricky for a first timer and crossing the open water loaded with camping and hunting gear will have your boat at max capacity. That needs to be factored into your capacity to operate.

I strongly urge you to take this route for safety which will lead to peace of mind and a more enjoyable experience.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  I don't see it on my maps, it's not the kayaking trail is it?
                  No, when I looked on Google Maps on my laptop it has the route from the ICW to the state park marked with a light dotted line.

Comment

Working...
                  X