Matagorda Island youth hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matagorda Island youth hunt

My son drew the Matagorda youth hunt for Dec. 17-19. Would a 16ft boat with a 50hp make it across the bay to the island? I'm very unfamiliar with the bay and I know that the weather can make things pretty sketchy on the water.

You can make it but it will heavily depend on the weather.

Comment

All of the wma I know about is along the ICW. That's more than enough boat

@capt.glen might now better or @droebuck

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

It should have no problem making it, just be senseable

Comment

The Matagorda hunt is across the bay from Port O'Conner. If the weather is nice it's not an issue but diecy if windy. There's protected routes that will avoid the worst of it but you need to run it in the day time.

Once on the island there's Simi-protected area's to set up a tent.

Here's my thread from several years ago.

Matagorda Island Report

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Slick8; 09-02-2022, 03:12 PM.

Comment

All depends on the weather. We have bene on the hunt the last 2 years. If its not very windy you will have no problem. Last year it was rough and we all got soaked in a 25 foot bay boat. I would not have wanted to cross it there.

Its a great hunt though.

Comment

If you want to be on the safe side get with Capt Van Crittendon or one of the other POC guides about running you over there and back. I know Van does that a bunch with kayakers who go camp over there.

It's a pretty good run and as said it can be pretty easy or a little sporty if the weather is bad. Knowing where to run is probably the issue. Maybe someone can share a track with you or something. I've fished over there a bunch years ago but it isn't my stomping grounds.

Congrats on the hunt. I have seen quite a few deer and a couple pretty nice ones over there while fishing and duck hunting.

Comment

Van goes by Raise 'Em Up Guide Service. I am sure there are others who would do ferry trips like that but I know for sure Van does that with some kayak groups carrying their kayaks and camping gear over there. He's got a 24' Tran Cat.

Comment

Run through to Mitchell’s Cut and then hit shoreline - It’s a long run but protected. Going through the cut straight across is big water.

Comment

Four of us drew a hunt several years back. That was when you could sleep in and use the old barracks. Was one of the best and game rich places to go. Lots of mosquitoes. We used a large boat. They use to take hunters out and bring them back after the hunt. Fun fun!

Comment

One other thing. We were in a 21 foot bay boat.

No way we have have fit our camping gear? Hunting gear and cookers in a smaller boat.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Even with good weather, that’s a pretty small boat for 3 days worth of hunting and camping gear, coolers, etc. We take several trips in our large bay boats to set up camp (but we live well out there).

Comment

Brain fart on me. I saw matagorda but read mad island. Apologies

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I appreciate yalls advice. We will most likely go for it in the ole 16’ Seaark barring a blue whistlin’ northern.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Go run it before the back way and get a good track- Once you get thru Big Bayou you just grab the shoreline

Comment

Working...
                              X