Chaparral Javelina - 2/24-2/26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaparral Javelina - 2/24-2/26

My father and I were drawn for the chaparral javelina hunt 2/24 - 2/26. I haven’t hunted the chap in 15 years, since I was 12, so my memory of the hunt isn’t the best.
    Has anyone been on this hunt that has any advice or idea of what to expect? I’ll also be going live on this thread during the hunt as long as cell service allows.

Bring a lot of corn. What worked for us was to lightly corn almost all of the roads within our compartment. We slowly drove the roads and just had someone in the back of the pickup tossing corn. Sit at a crossroads or spot you can see a long way. Walk around and check any spots you can't see periodically. If there's javelina in your compartment they'll eventually find the corn. Then walk up and shoot them. They don't really spook so it's not terribly difficult.

Comment

Ask for the west side...where the Warthogs are.

Comment

In for info as well, we drew 2/10-12.

Comment

Good to know where to find warthogs.

On the rules I don’t see that it specifies gun only, I’m assuming that’s the case. I would like to do a spot and stalk with the bow if they allow archery

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            Ask for the west side...where the Warthogs are.

The staff a lot of times gifts that water hole to select hunters

As said above, lots of corn!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
              Good to know where to find warthogs.

On the rules I don’t see that it specifies gun only, I’m assuming that’s the case. I would like to do a spot and stalk with the bow if they allow archery
              Was wondering the same about archery.

Comment

Originally posted by mwk128 View Post
                Bring a lot of corn. What worked for us was to lightly corn almost all of the roads within our compartment. We slowly drove the roads and just had someone in the back of the pickup tossing corn. Sit at a crossroads or spot you can see a long way. Walk around and check any spots you can't see periodically. If there's javelina in your compartment they'll eventually find the corn. Then walk up and shoot them. They don't really spook so it's not terribly difficult.

This is how we did it February 2021. The only problem was that the deer were eating all the corn before the javelina had a chance to get on it. We saw several monster bucks. This we right before the winter storm so it never got above 46 during the duration of our hunt.

For those asking about bowhunting, I do believe you can. If I were you I would call Chap to be sure.

Comment

Did you have better luck doing it spot and stalk style or just sitting and waiting?
                  I'm thinking of corning a few different spots and moving back and forth between them to try to put on a stalk with the bow. I know people also call them in but I don't have any experience with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
                    Did you have better luck doing it spot and stalk style or just sitting and waiting?
                    I'm thinking of corning a few different spots and moving back and forth between them to try to put on a stalk with the bow. I know people also call them in but I don't have any experience with that.
                    The key is not to corn a few spots. Rather, corn entire roads, especially if your compartment has several straight roads running through it. That way you can walk perimeter roads and glass down where you've corned.

That being said, every compartment is different. But the more roadway you cover with corn the better.

My son and I hunted a big compartment and we did a bunch of walking over the course of two days.

Comment

Well, my buddy forgot to buy his permit before the deadline, so looks like I'll be running solo. Went ahead and booked a room in Cotulla for myself.

Comment

Forgot?

Dang I guess some people just don’t get into this stuff like the rest of
                        Us. I woulda bought that permit the second I knew I drew

Comment

I did the javelina hunt a few years ago. I don’t recall the name of the pasture but there was a water hole there. I set up in a pop-up at one end of the water hole and it was an easy 100 yard shot to the other end of the pond. Lots of javelina came to water and one coyote.

Comment

My wife and I went a few years back. It had snowed here before we left but it was hot there, we actually got sunburned. We corned the 2 roads in our section but never saw a javelina. Tons of deer

Comment

My hunt was last weekend. I didn't see any Javelina, but did shoot a couple pigs (one archery, one rifle).

I think 6 total Javelina were shot Friday and Saturday, not sure about Sunday.

They were not taking any standby hunters.

Comment

Working...
                              X