Bob Lee Bow: Shooting without torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my Bob Lee's. A Hardcore and a Classic. I shoot them tolerebly well most of the time, considering I'm a fat blind guy. I'm not bashing my dearly loved Bob Lee's!!

But, I owned a Hoyt Satori for a short time and absolutely loved the flat grip.
    My groups tightened up left to right with the Satori. A lot. Did not really care for ILF overall, so I sold it and started working to modify my Bob Lee grips with build-ups of overlayed leather held in place by ultra-sticky double sided tape. Works farily well, but still not as good as I'd like. I still torque the bows a tad sometimes.

Thinking about starting from scratch. Take off the leather and try harder to learn and shoot the original grip.

It's not a bow problem. It's a form problem. Not really sure what I need to do.

For you Bob Lee Bow shooters: How do you grip the bow to avoid all torque?

It's your bow hand that needs training. Don't get me wrong, some grips are harder to shoot well than others... but make yourself a simple finger sling, and work on letting the bow jump out of your hand into that sling. Careful though... if you do this, you may find you can't go back. I've sent every bow I own flying at least once when I forgot to put that sling back on.

Comment

What Malachi said^^^

I thought I was shooting with a relaxed bow hand, but still had occasional left and right misses. Levy and Shana worked with me a few months ago, and it made a big difference. And yes, one of my bows went flying during practice at home. To get an idea of what it looks and feels like, drop your arm to your side with a relaxed hand. The fingers aren’t clinched, and they aren’t straight. Without changing their position, raise your arm up like you’re holding the bow. The riser should be sitting or pressed against the flat web between thumb and palm. If you’ve been shooting with a super low wrist, you may have to make some adjustments, but keep the hand relaxed.

I’m like you, I love my BL bows, but the next one I get will have a flatter grip on it. Randy Madden’s Primal Techs have a nice grip, and I have a Wagstaff with a good flat grip. I’m can pick it up with my eyes closed and my hand naturally slides right where it needs to be and stays there. I’ve thought about using su-gru and building the grip on my Lee bows to match, but I just can’t bring myself to do it yet, lol.

Comment

tagged for my own knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
          What Malachi said^^^

I thought I was shooting with a relaxed bow hand, but still had occasional left and right misses. Levy and Shana worked with me a few months ago, and it made a big difference. And yes, one of my bows went flying during practice at home. To get an idea of what it looks and feels like, drop your arm to your side with a relaxed hand. The fingers aren’t clinched, and they aren’t straight. Without changing their position, raise your arm up like you’re holding the bow. The riser should be sitting or pressed against the flat web between thumb and palm. If you’ve been shooting with a super low wrist, you may have to make some adjustments, but keep the hand relaxed.

I’m like you, I love my BL bows, but the next one I get will have a flatter grip on it. Randy Madden’s Primal Techs have a nice grip, and I have a Wagstaff with a good flat grip. I’m can pick it up with my eyes closed and my hand naturally slides right where it needs to be and stays there. I’ve thought about using su-gru and building the grip on my Lee bows to match, but I just can’t bring myself to do it yet, lol.
          I went so far as to buy the su-gru but I can't make myself do it!

Comment

Bob Lee grips that I've shot are not for me but I'd lay odds Rob can customize one to your fit.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              Bob Lee grips that I've shot are not for me but I'd lay odds Rob can customize one to your fit.

No doubt! Rob could do it. Just trying to shoot the ones I have. Beautiful bows. Great shooters (in the right hands).

Sounds like I just need work on that "relaxation of the bow hand" thing.

Comment

Get a finger sling and let the bow jump. It is weird at first, but then it becomes the norm. You will not be able to shoot without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunklady View Post
                  Get a finger sling and let the bow jump. It is weird at first, but then it becomes the norm. You will not be able to shoot without it.
                  Shana, you should have seen our Kimery bow go flying, when I tried shooting it without my sling. You would be so proud lol

Comment

Sounds like a bow with too much recoil to me. Try a Primal Tech.

Comment

I put a deposit down with Randy yesterday. I haven't been able to get his bows out of my head ever since I shot yours and his at Cowtown.

Comment

It has nothing to do with recoil. If you shoot your Primal Tech with a completely open hand, and don’t close your hand when your shoot, your PT will fly out of your hand too!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm not a believer in that theory. I keep my finger tips against the front of the grip loosely. I was taught to control my grip many decades ago for pistol shooting. If you can't then you need a tool to help.

Comment

You are not paying attention!!! You said above that it was because a bow had too much recoil and that a Primal Tech wouldn’t do that. Any bow will jump out of the hand with an open grip. The finger sling prevents that from happening for folks who do use an open grip.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Last edited by Bisch; 07-27-2022, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I'm not a believer in that theory. I keep my finger tips against the front of the grip loosely. I was taught to control my grip many decades ago for pistol shooting. If you can't then you need a tool to help.

Pistols and bows are different tools, with different requirements. You don't put your entire body under 40-50 lbs of tension parallel to the forces of a pistol's recoil. You have to let the bow jump or your hand is imparting variable torque into the shot because the entire system is moving.

With a pistol, the only part of your body that is experiencing a massive change in force vectors at the shot is your hands. In archery, the entire skeletal chain experiences an instantaneous deloading (as opposed to loading from the recoil of a pistol) when you drop the string. They're polar opposites.

Comment

Working...
                              X