The Story of “Chills”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Story of “Chills”

So I’m just gonna start this off and let ya know it’s gonna be a long read, but it’ll be worth your time! I have bow hunted since I was 12 years old and that is when I got my first archery buck, something I will never forget and I knew at that point I had found a hobby that would consume me. Fast forward 14 years, I am now 26 and have never missed a season. Even during college while I played baseball I would come home and hunt as much as possible! Ya know I’d always see guys on here or on Facebook that had these giant whitetails and I never really thought I’d ever be that guy. I killed some dang good bucks but just never anything that was real real big.
    So this season I was really gonna dedicate myself to my north Texas area really hard and always be able to fall back on my Oklahoma place. But I just felt I really never put the effort into my Texas place the last couple of years and I’ve had some dang good bucks show up but I was always concerned about Oklahoma. So I buy 4 new cameras at the end of August and go get them hung up. Wait a week and go check and 3 of them didn’t take a pic so I take those back and put them back up. Wait another week and 1 of those three didn’t work so I get around to taking it back and get it hung up on a spot I had never hunted before. I was really concerned about it taking pictures so I went the next day and checked the camera and it had taken pictures.... This was the first time I would ever lay eyes on Chills, he absolutely took my breath away and for the first time ever a buck had given me chills.... my wife couldn’t believe the way I was acting until I showed her the pic. This is the first pic I ever got of him!

After seeing these pics I knew I was going to chase this buck more than any other buck I had ever hunted. The next morning I went and bought a big mineral block and once he found that this deer lived there. He showed up the Day before the opener during daylight and I couldn’t believe how much bigger he looked during daylight!!

So I hunted him every hunt that opening weekend, sat 15 hours and never saw a deer. One really unique thing about this deer was he was always with a doe. When she was in he was with her, they were always together. So Monday evening I get in the stand super late knowing that the earliest he had been in was 7:43 in the evening which was the very very last light. So I get in the stand around 5:40 and in all honesty was playing some games on my phone passing time. At 6:28 that evening I heard a crunch up on the hill above me and I looked up and saw the doe... I knew he was with her, I had 2 deer on this picture and that was her and him! I reached over and grabbed my bow, when I looked back up the hill I could see his feet and finally he ducked under a mesquite and I about fell out of the tree. They were about 60 yards out, the doe walked right in at 18 yards and he was right behind her. She walked right in front of me and I drew back, right when I got drew back Big boy stopped behind the only limb I had between me and the feeder. I held back for over a minute and decided I needed to let down cause he wasn’t moving at all. I let down my bow and watched and for the longest 5 minutes of my life he sat there and ate and all I could see was horns! He finally made his way around the feeder and pushed the doe off the feeder. He turned broadside at 26 yards and I let the Mathews bark... I knew I had him dead when I saw the rage hit its mark. He went 50 yards and piled up in the brush. This deer is a buck of a lifetime.... I’m still in disbelief that I killed him. I went and got him green scored by our local Boone and Crockett scorer, he grossed 170 2/8 inches. I was absolutely shocked, for the rest of my life I will never forget the hunt I got to take Chills!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great story and really cool looking deer! Congrats to you!

Comment

Wow! Broke 170!!

Comment

Congratulations great buck

Comment

Congratulations on an awesome buck!

Comment

great buck and congrats!
            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Congrats. He’s a beauty. I am glad you put the scorecard up. Every picture I looked at him, I came up with a different dang number of points. Lol.

Comment

Man that is a very nice buck

Comment

Congrats! I would’ve named him John deer.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
                    Congrats! I would’ve named him John deer.

Haha

Great buck and good story.
                    Love your dedication.

BP

Comment

Congrats on the great buck.

Comment

That’s a stud!!! Congratulations

Comment

Cool looking deer! Congrats!

Comment