Any John Deere Mechanics on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any John Deere Mechanics on here?

I have 2005 5103 that’s giving me fits. I’m searched the internet for a solution but remain stumped. I know exactly what my issue is just unsure what could be causing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is the issue, what is it doing or not doing?

Comment

You forgot to tell the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
        What is the issue, what is it doing or not doing?
        Tractor is a 2005 John Deere 5103 with right over 600 hrs.

Parked the tractor about month ago. Everything was running good as far as I could tell. Go in to crank it the other day and it will not start. Battery was a touch weak so I changed the battery and still it just cranks and cranks but cannot get it started. I have narrowed down my issue to my injector pump as I’m not getting any fuel out of it. Fuel to it is good but can’t get anything out when cranking. I know there are many with the issue of the temp sensor shorting out and blowing the electric fuel shutoff solenoid. However mine is not doing that and by all accounts can hear the solenoid on top of the fuel pump open and shut. It does appear that the solenoid on the bottom of the fuel pump is not getting power and I’m not sure why. I’m been looking for a wiring diagram cause I’m really not sure what purpose the solenoid on the bottom of the injector pump is or why I wouldn't have any volts going to it. I did check the actual solenoid itself and it checks good, just no power.

Comment

Air in the line could be your problem. Try using air bleeder. We have a 6403 that’s hard to start. Have to pump the air bleeder to get it started. Once started it runs fine. When it sits for a week or so it’s a ***** to start.
          Last edited by M16; 09-25-2020, 08:48 PM.

Comment

since it was working when you parked it I would guess maybe a rat chewed the
            wire into supplying power to the solenoid

put power on the solenoid so it will close then try to start tractor
            Last edited by clay4626; 09-25-2020, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Check the fuse relays. Try swapping them around when you have a diagram to go by.

If you have air in the fuel system, it won’t start. Does yours have two Fuel filters, one on each side of the engine? Make certain it’s not air locked by opening the second bleed screw on the second fuel filter on the left side of engine if facing forward when sitting in seat. But yours might not have two fuel filters. I have difficulty getting reception way out here in the sticks.

Does yours have a hand pump on the right side of engine to purge air and fuel after changing fuel filters?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                Air in the line could be your problem. Try using air bleeder. We have a 6403 that’s hard to start. Have to pump the air bleeder to get it started. Once started it runs fine. When it sits for a week or so it’s a ***** to start.
                I have bled the fuel lines multiple times per owners manual and have fuel going into fuel pump fine however no fuel will leave the injector pump to go to my injectors when cranking.

Comment

You can squirt a LITTLE ether in the air intake and it will start. Just don't spray too much. Sometimes that helps get the air out. That is how I got mine to prime once.

Comment

Originally posted by clay4626 View Post
                    since it was working when you parked it I would guess maybe a rat chewed the
                    wire into supplying power to the solenoid
                    Have checked for that as well, crawled all over that thing and haven’t seen any wires chewed on. The odd thing is I’m getting power to my top solenoid but whatever solenoid is on the bottom I get nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by KNP16 View Post
                      I have bled the fuel lines multiple times per owners manual and have fuel going into fuel pump fine however no fuel will leave the injector pump to go to my injectors when cranking.
                      There should be a fuel shut off switch on the block. sometime this is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
                        Check the fuse relays. Try swapping them around when you have a diagram to go by.

If you have air in the fuel system, it won’t start. Does yours have two Fuel filters, one on each side of the engine? Make certain it’s not air locked by opening the second bleed screw on the second fuel filter on the left side of engine if facing forward when sitting in seat. But yours might not have two fuel filters. I have difficulty getting reception way out here in the sticks.

Does yours have a hand pump on the right side of engine to purge air and fuel after changing fuel filters?
                        One filter and hand pump on one side, the other has my injector pump, injector lines and return fuel line. I have bled all fuel lines up and into the pump (filter is primed and bled, and bled out the injector pump as well). At this point the only way to get fuel into the injectors is through the injector pump. Which I cannot get any fuel out of.

Comment

This what my system looks like. On the bottom of the fuel there is what appears to be another solenoid however I need a wiring diagram to determine what it is.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Order a service manual on eBay if you plan to keep the tractor. Would be worth while.

Worked on a quite a few JD but not very familiar with those models.

I would check with either also. Are you 100% sure you have good pressure to the injection pump? Front the transfer pump?

Comment

Location? Maybe someone is willing to come take a look

Comment

Working...
                              X