Fit folks....I need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fit folks....I need advice

Here's the deal. I'm a fireman and unlike tv most of my day involves sitting around waiting on calls.
    I dont do good with boredom and it seems I eat crap all day long.
    What the hell can I keep handy to snack on? I eat cheese alot as a snack. Suggestions please.

Jerky and nuts are healthy snacks.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      Here's the deal. I'm a fireman and unlike tv most of my day involves sitting around waiting on calls.
      I dont do good with boredom and it seems I eat crap all day long.
      What the hell can I keep handy to snack on? I eat cheese alot as a snack. Suggestions please.
      Nuts, yogurt, fruit, celery/carrots, jerky, boiled eggs, high % dark chocolate

But it really doesent matter how “healthy” it is if you sit around graze on it all day. What you really need is an alternative activity to the boredom. Can you walk, or other physical activity? Pick up a new hobby you can do at the firehouse?

Comment

Trail mix you like that’s nut and fruit based, avoid sugary mixes. The key is finding something you like, eating stuff you don’t care for won’t last long. Almonds, spicy popcorn, dried fruit, and jerky work well for me. Watch out for too much sodium.

Comment

If you really want to eat a lot of it that’s only carrots, broccoli etc. and not dipped in anything. Calories from nuts, fruit, trail mixes add up fast. Clean eating but more calories than a bag of chips quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you meal prep and eat on schedule, you wont be hungry for snacks. This will be the most effective way to eliminate snacking. No need to snack if you're full from whole foods. I dont really see a need for snacking unless you have an extremely busy day with little to no time to eat a full meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
              Nuts, yogurt, fruit, celery/carrots, jerky, boiled eggs, high % dark chocolate

But it really doesent matter how “healthy” it is if you sit around graze on it all day. What you really need is an alternative activity to the boredom. Can you walk, or other physical activity? Pick up a new hobby you can do at the firehouse?
              Your right about other activities. I tried to get the chiefs to allow me to do the maint. On the saws and fans ( small engine stuff) nope, cant so that. I try to work out in the morning but that leaves 23 hours of typically nothin between calls. A couple guys tie flies, another guy does leather. I know I need to figure out a way to stay busy but they wont let us do much

Comment

Add apples to whats already been mentioned.

Comment

Go drink a big glass of water every time you feel like you want a snack.

Do that for a week and you'll see your cravings reduced. Keep drinking water going forward

Comment

Mind over matter.

Comment

I did order some mtn OPS products yesterday, hoping it helps some. I'm pretty good on my days off because I stay very busy. But that freakin down time at the FD for 18 years has not been good to me

Comment

Almonds and Call of Duty.

Comment

I've been doing keto for the last 2-3 months. I used to eat 3 meals per day plus snacks between meals. Since I started keto, I'm only eating lunch and supper and not hungry between meals. Getting your body adapted to using fat for energy rather than carbs makes a huge difference. Carbs get burned up fast, so you get hungry again really soon. Fat is the opposite. It's been an amazing difference to me.

Also, I've been eating 500-750 calories per day MORE than I used to eat, and I've lost almost 15 pounds since early December. No change to my workouts.

Comment

Been thinking about Keto Shane. Thanks

Comment

I’ve tried pretty much every diet out there. To some extent they are all gimmicky. But yes some are productive. Over the last four months I change my caloric intake drastically. Until I started tracking it I didn’t realize that I was probably consuming 3,000- 4000 cal a day. Which was really hard for me, considering I’m a coon#%* , and well, What does eating I have to do with being hungry. Eating is a social thing. I’m pretty sure I didn’t feel hunger pain for about six or seven years. So I backed off to about 1200-1500 cal a day, and I’m very strict with it. I’ve lost close to 45 pounds in the last 4 to 5 months.
                              I recognize that’s drastic, but I needed to get weight off my twice surgically repaired knee quick!

Let me add that I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol genetically that I battle. So a high-fat, high red meat/pork consumption diet, was no good for me.
                              Last edited by JLivi1224; 02-13-2020, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X