6.5L turbo diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5L turbo diesel

I know what most would say about this engine, but I’m looking to see what opinions you have on it based off personal experience of people who have owned one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to my cousin who had one in a c2500 4x4 they are gutless when compared to the 7.3 powerstroke Foad he replaced it with. Both the 6.2 and 6.5 Detroit engines were a joke of a diesel that Cheby should never have been tied up with for a whole decade.

Comment

The worst pos i ever owned. Cured me of ever buying another GM product. Weak spot is the injection pump. I went through four injection pumps in 127,000 moles. Fortunately they were under warranty. The next one was to be on me.

Comment

I had one. It was a hell of a truck empty or lightly loaded, gutless pulling even 3-4k pounds though.

Hard pass, unless it’s just to stay on the ranch.

Comment

I had one my dad bought it new in 96 K3500 crew can long bed then I had it. I sold it 5 years ago. Gutless for towing but ran good until the last 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by TxKronik View Post
            I had one my dad bought it new in 96 K3500 crew can long bed then I had it. I sold it 5 years ago. Gutless for towing but ran good until the last 2 years.
            How many miles did it have when it started giving trouble

Comment

Pretty much a terd. My BIL has one in his Hummer H1. He just replaced the engine a couple of years ago and a few months ago had to do a high pressure pump. I have not personally but my FIL does own a diesel shop.. Pretty gutless engines.

Comment

Thanks for the input, this just reinforces what I have read.

Comment

Had one In a couple of trucks and a suburban, never had to many problems till we would drive in altitude like west Texas- Colorado

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                    How many miles did it have when it started giving trouble

Not to sure but nearing 170-200k

Comment

Had them in the hummers in the army, not enough engine forsure

Comment

Dad had one for almost 2 years. Blew motor early and almost had enough power to beat my daughters 4th grade in a tug-o-war.... almost

Comment

Parents bought a 1993 Chevy brand new with the 6.5. Sticker price 23k. It was a great truck and got over 20mpg. It was never meant to pull unlike most diesels it was for mpg. They even had some half tons and suburban with it

Comment

Working...
                          X