.308 reloading... what you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.308 reloading... what you using?

What bullets and weight are y'all using?

My .308 shoots Federal 168g HPBT Matchking boxed ammo lights out. So when I went to reload I thought I would use something made for game rather then paper. I picked up a box of 165g TGK's. Im not really happy with them. I have had several issues like over pressuring and that when i seat the bullet deep enough to fit the mag box it has a jump of about .200. Thats about twice what the Matchkings have.

Looking to try something else. What are y'all having luck with? Thinking about trying some Barnes. I have shot them for years out of my 7mm. Another plus is that I can actually buy some right now.

My heavy barrel .308 loves 168 AMaxs over 44 grains of RL15. For hunting, I'm shooting the 165 SST over the same charge. I've been pleased with them. I've loaded 165 GameKings over a max charge of IMR4064 for a friend's 700P, and he's been extremely pleased with the accuracy and the performance.

If you go Barnes, I'd suggest loading the 130s or 150s to get more velocity to open the bullet.

Comment

168 gr Nosler e-tips over 40 grains of IMR 4064 for my 16" barrel POF yields one shot kills and sub MOA groups.

Sent from my ASUS_I002D using Tapatalk

Comment

165 sierra SBT Gamekings with 43gr of IMR 4064. Have killed a lot of animals from coyotes (softball sized exit for some reason) to deer and pigs. Hits them hard.

Comment

For hunting I prefer 165 grain Sierra Gamekings but have also had good results with Barnes 165 TSX and TTSX. My 308 is an M1A so I seat mine to 2.800"

Comment

I currently load 175 grain Berger Hunting VLD over RL17.

Im looking for a different bullet myself because I’ve been unimpressed with bullet performance with the Bergers lately.

I’m looking at working up a load with 168ABLR and will probably try some TGKs if the ABLR doesn’t shoot to my liking.

Regarding bullet jump, some bullets are unaffected by jump. If I find a bullet that shoots well I don’t worry about jump. My gun has about .125 jump but still shoots 1/2 MOA. You could always have your receiver opened up with a Wyatt’s extended box assuming you are running an internal box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

168 amax, lapua brass, varget

Comment

All of my .308's are most accurate with 150gr Nosler Accubond or Ballistic Silvertips. 165 and 168 are just so so and plenty accurate for ranges out to 200 yds. Every gun is different. Some barrels just don't like boat tail bullets for what reason I don't know. Try different types of bullets and different powder/primer combos. Somewhere there is a sweet spot. That's the fun of reloading for me.

Comment

speer gold dot 168's for me ... cheap and seem to perform and fly well in my rpr.

Comment

168 SMK over 44g Varget. Load to same OAL as the Federal GM Match. That should put you on the money and you can tune them from there. Now, good luck finding Varget and the bullets.

Comment

My .308 loves almost anything in 168gr. When I started looking into a hunting bullet I quickly discovered that there were plenty of target ammo and small game ammo in 168gr options but not many medium to large game hunting rounds in 168gr. I stumbled upon the Berger hybrid hunter in 168gr.

My gun shoots the factory loads lights out. And it’s a hunting round. I haven’t taken any game with it yet. I’m a little nervous that I won’t be seeing exits with most shots, but we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

155 Berger VLD with IMR 3031 or H4895

Comment

Working...
                        X