If We Can Get Covid.....Anyone Can....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If We Can Get Covid.....Anyone Can....

We live 4 miles off the nearest two lane highway and one mile off the pavement in the middle of nowhere Iowa. We go shopping about every 10 days and basically have no contact with people other than the mail lady, UPS and Fed Ex. Last week I started having flu symptoms. Aching muscles, fatigue, sore throat would come and go and a slight cough. It was like a roller coaster ride. The symptoms would come and go. For a couple of days I didn't get out of my recliner for pretty much the entire day. Then I would feel better. One day last week I plowed the snow on our drive way in 2 degree weather and felt pretty good. Then about last Thursday I realized that I had lost my sense of smell and taste. My wife had made a pot of Mexican Pozole which has a lot of garlic and other spices in it. I can usually smell it cooking while out in our connected shop. I could put my head down in the pot and not smell it. Of course I could not taste it either. All the flu symptoms sporadically continued thru the weekend, but my smell and taste were gone. Strangely enough I never ran a fever.....nothing....my temp stayed below 98.6 and still is. A lot of events and what not have used body temp as a guideline for Covid so go figure. The Dr. told me he has seen many cases with no fever.

So anyway over the weekend I told my wife I wanted to get tested on Monday. We have an awesome local county hospital that has an in house lab, small trauma center, helicopter pad, etc. I called Monday morning and they said come in at 11:00am. They met me in hazmat suits in the parking lot and took me into a secured area. They asked me about my symptoms and did the nose swab. In 30 minutes the test came back positive. When my test came back positive my wife was tested. She was positive too.

The Dr. immediately ordered chest x-rays, blood work, and highly recommended a new IV infusion treatment called BAM (Bamlanivimab) for both of us.

In November the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an emergency use authorization (EUA) for the investigational monoclonal antibody therapy bamlanivimab for the treatment of mild-to-moderate COVID-19 in adult and pediatric patients. Bamlanivimab is authorized for patients with positive results of direct SARS-CoV-2 viral testing who are 12 years of age and older weighing at least 40 kilograms (about 88 pounds), and who are at high risk for progressing to severe COVID-19 and/or hospitalization. This includes those who are 65 years of age or older, or who have certain chronic medical conditions.

Monoclonal antibodies are laboratory-made proteins that mimic the immune system’s ability to fight off harmful antigens such as viruses. Bamlanivimab is a monoclonal antibody that is specifically directed against the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2, designed to block the virus’ attachment and entry into human cells.

We were at the hospital until about 5:00pm getting the IV infusions. When we got home we both felt a little weird, but by Tuesday morning we were both feeling fine and are now feeling pretty much normal. So far so good.

I highly recommend the BAM treatment. The Dr. said that since they started using this treatment no patient that has had it has progressed to pneumonia or breathing distress. It does have to be administered early before the patient gets to the pneumonia stage.

The sun is out and its beautiful today. It is a crisp 0 degrees right now. I think I am going to fire up the Kubota and move a little snow this morning.
    Attached Files

Just wear a mask, it's so simple

Comment

I did everything they told us to do and still got covid. lol

Comment

Glad y’all are feeling better. Still no Idea on how or where you were exposed ?

Comment

Glad you both got well quickly!

Comment

Great news for you and your wife! I just got off my Rona Vaca. I too live where there is not a lot of interaction AND I was not one to take all the precautions. I ended up catching it from the only person I would have NEVER guessed. My 79 yr old dad. We are both back to work after the Ivermectin and Budesonide regiment. Good luck with the snow moving, I am glad I am getting to keep the cows fed thru this cold spell.

Comment

Glad y’all are feeling better, I would suspect it was from your delivery drivers mail, UPS, and Fed Ex. They are seeing many ppl each day so if you come in contact with them you’re likely being introduced to everyone they have met that day.

Comment

^

Comment

How many masks do you wear....?

Comment

Yep, no mask or social distancing will prevent a virus.

Comment

OP, seems you approached the situation with logic and reason, and glad you are feeling good. And for something as politically charged as Covid, thank you for not telling folks what to think.

Side note, my folks live up in north central WI, and had -26 this morning. I heard it was sunny though, which makes that -26 bearable (Folks who have never lived it won't understand 0 can be much warmer than 40). I miss winters up there. Enjoy the snow and that Kubota. Toughest tractor out there.

Comment

Glad to hear you and your wife are feeling better already, Mike. I’m amazed at how simple it can be transmitted even when people follow the “rules”.

Comment

Virus is gonna do what viruses do...

Comment

��

Comment

This is the craziest stuff we’ve ever experienced as far as symptoms and duration. No two people I’ve talked to have experienced the exact same things. I had it around Christmas and got over it, or so I thought, in about a week with minimum discomfort.

Trouble is, my blood pressure as well as my blood sugar readings have been up ever since. Two different doctors trying to lower my BP and they haven’t been successful yet. I find it a little troublesome to breathe when I first get up from a chair. It only lasts a few minutes but is definitely there. I’m getting a stress test and some imaging done in a week or so, maybe that will tell them something.

I don’t think they understand all they know about this virus, and I don’t think they know much. I’m still on the fence about the vaccine, and it’s my personal feeling that they really don’t have a clue whether it will work or not and they surely don’t know what long term effects it might have.

I’m glad y’all got off lightly and hope you’re truly over it.

Comment

Working...
                              X