Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MLAH View Post
    By now you've likely contacted an electrician. And he has likely given you some options. Back feed to the power company is the issue one must avoid at all costs. Generally the utility power company will inspect the work.

There are two ways to accomplish what you need.

First install a center-off double-pole, double-throw transfer switch between the meter and your main service panel. This being a manual switch that ALLOWS for only one feed source. It completely disconnects the utility from your generator. Your concerns with this switch is simple. It will be capable of powering your entire house if you Have A Generator Large Enough.

Second method. Purchase a load transfer center with enough breakers that will provide for what You Have deemed critical ice box, freezer, whatever. Size this load. Install it adjacent to your main breaker panel. Then the Secondary panel with the accumulative load you have deemed critical 40-50 amps. Feed it from a breaker from in the main panel so when you need to go to a generator you simply manually transfer, the new secondary transfer center from utility power to generator. Thus removing the utility from your generator. It's the same process as the inline switch, but with a smaller load.

Generator connectivity is not an issue after you determine the actual load requirement. This will establish the Generator Size. Plugs are available for this general use. If not simply hard wire the generator to the secondary switch.

Hope this helps.
    Why would the utility power company inspect the work? With that said, who would trust what the power company says? They don’t have a clue about the NEC...

Comment

OK...We all know back feeding can be hazardous. But there are many dangerous things we all do, all the time...but we do them safely. If you are going to backfeed in power outages, which works. Please KNOW what you are doing. As was said in earlier posts. A little bit of knowledge on this subject is very dangerous. It can kill. It should always be done correctly and within code. Don't cheap out on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
        I just picked up a Westinghouse 9500 duel fuel generator today. I was thinking about some kind of set up like y'all are talking about. My main concern is I'm not an electrician, nor do i i know very much about the subject. Does anyone have photos, of their setup?
        Mines only 30a but I have gas furnace and water heater so that's all I need. Yours would look the same just 50a (if that's what you want). Your generator should have a 50a outlet.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a licensed electrician tell me that I needs a switch to completely disconnect the main electric line from the box before I could back feed.

He said that even with the interlock switch done properly you could back feed thru the neutral.

I posted his comments on here and everyone said he was 100% incorrect.

I gave the dual fuel 12500/9500 Westinghouse. Going to power with propane. I’m going to use the 30 amp set up. The 50 amp plug, wire etc was very expensive. 30 amps will do what I need.

I do have a 50 amp inlet plug for sale on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
            I had a licensed electrician tell me that I needs a switch to completely disconnect the main electric line from the box before I could back feed.

He said that even with the interlock switch done properly you could back feed thru the neutral.

This why the 4-pole switched neutral breakers have become so popular and are available in smaller sizes.

Comment

The interlock pictured is per NEFC and would pass inspection.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Since I have refrigerators in more than one building would the meter mounted transfer switch solve all the different box/different breaker/lockout dilema for me. I have a big awning about 20 feet from my meter. My meter is in a box mounted out in the yard, not on my house. The box feeds my shop, garage and house.

Comment

Reply’s. Always amaze me. If you install a center off-double pole-double throw switch which is generally referred to as a manual transfer switch. And you accomplish this work After the initial work. It will be installed after the meter and before your load center. Understand this well, you will absolutely be removing the power generally accomplished by simply removing the meter. With today’s smart meters the power company will be involved.

If one wants a smaller generator. The above definition explains how the entire house would be powered. The process today with the advanced panels one can easily determine their load requirements ice box, freezer, etc purchase a panel for that need. The new panel will be colocated with the main load center via conduit. This New panel’s load would be computed and the necessary breaker installed. It in turn would be supplied power from the main distribution breaker panel. When the power goes out, crank your generator use the transfer mechanism in the NEW INSTALLED panel. This in effect accomplished the same mechanical/electrical separation as the first described panel.

Hope this explanation helps and I apologize I’m having to use my phone without the Aid of a spell checker.

Comment

Reply’s. Always amaze me. If you install a center off-double pole-double throw switch which is generally referred to as a manual transfer switch. And you accomplish this work After the initial work. It will be installed after the meter and before your load center. Understand this well, you will absolutely be removing the power generally accomplished by simply removing the meter. With today’s smart meters the power company will be involved.

If one wants a smaller generator. The above definition explains how the entire house would be powered. The process today with the advanced panels one can easily determine their load requirements ice box, freezer, etc purchase a panel for that need. The new panel will be colocated with the main load center via conduit. This New panel’s load would be computed and the necessary breaker installed. It in turn would be supplied power from the main distribution breaker panel. When the power goes out, crank your generator use the transfer mechanism in the NEW INSTALLED panel. This in effect accomplished the same mechanical/electrical separation as the first described panel.

Hope this explanation helps and I apologize I’m having to use my phone without the Aid of a spell checker.
                    Where did he say he is installing a double pole double throw switch?

With what he is doing, the meter will not be pulled...
                    Are you an electrician?

Comment

Rubi513. My discussion was directed to someone with electrical safety in mind. Not some amateur who can easily kill any working lineman during a power outage. This EXACT thing has happened. Your question regarding my experience. My First Master license was issued in 1970 there about my license number was in the low 200’s then. When Texas started issuing state license I currently Still have mine where is yours?

Hope that clears up my explanation for the proper use of a electrical transfer switch.

Your understanding of electrical safety is apparent. If anyone needs generator power this can be accomplished many different ways. Most of which are unsafe. Anyone who sees a need for a generator needs to set their house up to use one safely is in everyone’s best interest. Just my $.02. Thanks for the conversation.

Comment

Guys relax the OP stated he was installing and interlock from the beginning.

No manual transfer switch needed.

The interlock will not allow the generator main snd the service main to be closed at the same time.

It’s UL AND NEC APPROVED.

Rubi513 and MLAH are both right but 2 different ways to do it.

I personally would do it Rubi513 way.

Ps I’m also a master but my number is higher than MLAH lol.

Comment

Rubi513. My discussion was directed to someone with electrical safety in mind. Not some amateur who can easily kill any working lineman during a power outage. This EXACT thing has happened. Your question regarding my experience. My First Master license was issued in 1970 there about my license number was in the low 200’s then. When Texas started issuing state license I currently Still have mine where is yours?

Hope that clears up my explanation for the proper use of a electrical transfer switch.

Your understanding of electrical safety is apparent. If anyone needs generator power this can be accomplished many different ways. Most of which are unsafe. Anyone who sees a need for a generator needs to set their house up to use one safely is in everyone’s best interest. Just my $.02. Thanks for the conversation.
                          It’s currently residing in my wallet.

You got lucky you were grandfathered in
                          Last edited by Rubi513; 05-07-2021, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X