Spotting scope tripod reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotting scope tripod reccomendations

Especially guys who hunt out west. I'm wanting a good tripod thats pretty light and packs up well.

Following for a future hunt

Comment

For many years I've used a Bogen with a pistol grip head, I also have a ball head I would switch to to lighten the load. It was a full height tripod that I cut down to where I could use it sitting on the ground, that made it much more compact

Comment

Out of curiosity, have you looked into or considered not using a spotting scope? I personally prefer using my binos, and using an extremely light weight Manfrotto tripod that fits in the side of my pack.

When I hunt out west, I am backpacking deep into the backcountry, so I really watch the weight of what I carry. The Manfrotto tripod is extremely light, BUT I doubt it is robust enough to hold a heavier spotter steady.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am interested as well. We have 2 or 3 laying around the ranch house that are ancient/half broken and not very sturdy. Would like to upgrade.

Comment

There's a ton of options, but budget is going to be your biggest factor. I would recommend twist lock legs if you're going to be taking in and out of a pack. Also need to check max height if you're going to be using it standing. A straight spotter is going to require a taller tripod than an angled spotter. Outdoorsman, Silk, Vortex, Manfrotto, Swaro. Find what checks all your boxes in your budget. I would recommend mounting bino's instead of a spotter, eye strain will give you a head ache pretty quick trying to use a spotter. Longer you're in the glass the better your odds are to find critters.
            Remember just bc it says carbon fiber doesn't mean its lighter than a comparable aluminum.
            Last edited by BassMaster13; 05-07-2021, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I have this for my Celestron Ultima 100. It is awesome.

Comment

I use a sirui t024 with a VA-5 fluid head. I was going to get a Sirui head and found the legs on-sale with the head. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the legs. I run binos on top as they work better for me when spotting animals.

Comment

Bassmaster13 summed it up good. Twist lock if you’re taking in and out of a pack. Max height is also important like he said.

I’ve been running a sirui va-5 head on their w1204 carbon waterproof tripod for 3 years now and it’s been all over the country from AK swamps/bogs, sand bars, mountains to south Texas gulf coast. I run my bino holder, spotter, and camera with a mic all the time. Incredibly sturdy, tough, and reliable. I was impressed how still it held my optics and camera this past season in WY with constant 20-30mph wind and gusts into the upper 40’s. I will be switching this year to a t024 carbon tripod this year because I very rarely stand and glass unless I just have to and the t024 folds down a little shorter. I go with carbon because I’m always carrying binos, spotter, and a camera and lugging it on your back for days at a time that little less weight of carbon helps out.

Carrying a spotter is all gonna depend on what your plans are. If you’re archery elk hunting like 95% of people and just gonna shoot the first legal bull there’s no reason for a spotter. If you’ve killed a pile of mule deer and looking for that older trophy buck and he’s a mile and a half away, you’ll want a spotter to be able to decide if he’s worth getting closer to and not just wasting your time. If you’re pronghorn hunting I would not go without a spotter unless you’re just strictly shooting to fill a tag.

Comment

I have a Bogen-Manfrotto with a pistol grip that is rock solid for my spotter and chrony.

I also bought a similar Bogen on eBay, cut all the legs down with a tubing cutter to make a short rock solid bench tripod at the range. It has a ball mount.

Don’t skimp - the tripod needs to be stable.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
                      Especially guys who hunt out west. I'm wanting a good tripod thats pretty light and packs up well.
                      I’ve had everything from vanguard to outdoorsman to 2vets to Amazon special AS80C

Personally I think the head and compatibility of components are the most important. On tripod just make sure it’s tall enough to glass standing up with bino or spotter. Sirui VA-5 And outdoorsman mini are my two favorites heads.

I’m not a huge bino post guy and have switched over to Bog bino rest with a arca plate

Comment

We have a PRST carbon tripod and it is great. Lightweight and very stable.
                        Spotter is very valuable for saving some boot time, better than binos.

The cheap tripods will work but are not stable in wind.

diamond10x laid it out pretty well for using your spotter.

Comment

I’ve got 3 or 4 siru tripods and heads and have been happy, I bought an aluminum one originally then went to carbon fiber, for me the lever lock type are more convenient when setting it up but they get hung on a lot of stuff so I mostly use the twist lock..

Comment

I have sold all these models and used a couple myself.

The Radian Carbon is a favorite of thermal hog/coyote hunters. The Ridgview Carbon, Summit Carbon and High Country aluminum are more designed for spotting scope and bino applications. Watch this video for more info.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We (my elk hunting buddy) pack out a Vortex Razor 11-33x50. When I say we meaning we have to suffer who is lugging it up the hill. Now mind you this is one of their lighter compact models. As for tripod we've settled on a Joby Gurilla 5K Flex tripod. We use it high to spot and then pack it away for the rest of the day. Meaning the Joby in low land it's useless.
                              All this to say weight is a major factor if you are in deep country.

Comment

Working...
                              X