No announcement yet.

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good. My mentor likes “The Fat Bee Man” on YT. Not exactly sure what his real YT name might be.

I have the bottom boards with mite monitoring but I feel like it allows pest intrusion into the colonies. I may be wrong. I see lots of cockroaches and ants when checking the monitoring boards.

Ive noticed my, otherwise docile, colonies go hot when theyre being predated. The ladies let me know fairly quickly when theyve got something eating their sisters...theyll attack my farm cart as I simply drive by...normally no bother.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
      Hive beetles and wax moths are secondary problems. Varroa is likely your first problem that needs to be addressed.
      Bingo. Typically if wax moth or beetles are able to take over a hive it was already dead. Might as well pick it up, gas it, and start over when you start seeing wax moth or beetles any substantial number.
      Last edited by johnpaul; 05-05-2021, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
        Bingo. Typically if wax moth or beetles are able to take over a hive it was already dead. Might as well pick it up, gas it, and start over when you start seeing wax moth or beetles any substantial number.
        Yessiree, couldn't agree more.

Another thing I'll add, don't take everything you hear on podcasts and yt as the gospel. a lot of opinion and divisive misinformation given on both platforms. Always wear your PPE when working bees. The tic tok videos look cool when they don't but could get you hurt in a hurry trying it at home.....
        Last edited by MASTERS; 05-05-2021, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Another good day with bees, trapped swarm and a cut out
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0624.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	24650202

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	24650203

Comment

Anybody near Grand Prairie and want to come get these bees?

This is a house I have listed.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

New question. Has anyone ever been called to collect a swarm and found somebody’s marked queen? Would that be like shooting a banded duck or something?

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                New question. Has anyone ever been called to collect a swarm and found somebody’s marked queen? Would that be like shooting a banded duck or something?
                I’m sure it happens. Nothing you can do about it though. No way to tell where they came from.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                  UPS hub in San Marcos called me about a bee “swarm” in an 18 wheeler trailer. Turned out to be someone’s package bees. The screen box they were in had been broken open and bees were coming out. The marked queen was in a smaller cage inside the package so it was an easy collection. UPS replaced the other guy’s bees and I kept those.

Comment

Parents have a pretty good swarm up in a tree right now in Henderson County. I happened to see this thread, but haven't read through the thread. Will they do their thing and move on? Or are they possibly someone's swarm from around here?

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
                      Parents have a pretty good swarm up in a tree right now in Henderson County. I happened to see this thread, but haven't read through the thread. Will they do their thing and move on? Or are they possibly someone's swarm from around here?
                      Usually, they’ll move on after a day or two. I say usually because I got one on Monday, the homeowner said they had been there for 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
                        UPS hub in San Marcos called me about a bee “swarm” in an 18 wheeler trailer. Turned out to be someone’s package bees. The screen box they were in had been broken open and bees were coming out. The marked queen was in a smaller cage inside the package so it was an easy collection. UPS replaced the other guy’s bees and I kept those.
                        Free bees! That’s awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                          I’m sure it happens. Nothing you can do about it though. No way to tell where they came from.
                          Yep, guess they are a little small for gps tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
                            It depends. The whole reason they are swarming, is they are looking for a home. The swarm can sustain themselves for a few days, but eventually, they are gonna find a home, usually pretty close by.

Comment

Water meter hive.

After catching the queen and trapping her inside the box, I dumped the rest on the cardboard. Pretty cool to watch them “march” into the box to be with her. See the video here. https://m.facebook.com/atxlocalhoney...5056532033096/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have some bees in a hollow limb of an oak tree. Have not been able to check them in the last week due to the weather. If they are still there does anybody want to come get them? Located off 77 between Giddings and LaGrange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X