Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sightmark wraith 4k max review .. my 2c.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sightmark wraith 4k max review .. my 2c.

ok so i just got my 4k max from sightmark, after 6 months wait ...

so i sighted it in this weekend and here are my thoughts ... i'll be somewhat comparing it to the old wraith 4x which is what this replaced.

on the outside : the rubber eyepiece keeps falling off and the eyepiece focus ring is way too easy to turn. the objective focus ring is the opposite , pretty stiff even with the tab sticking up. front lens cap keeps wanting to fall back in front of the objective.

the one button record and the zoom dial are fantastic! i used 1x per click so it zooms at it's quickest and it's perfect. great improvement.

scope is on the heavy side, like it's previous model and ir illuminator is also heavy ..

field of view is not great , the pervious 4x was an issue , this one is better but not a wow factor better.

the video file is great, and works perfect on a mac, even the audio track.. but the import into imovie does seem not as crisp as original ... may just be me.

i recorded in 4k30 as this is max magnification that still shows crosshair in video.

performance is good during the day up to 4x magnification ... after that , pixelization is still pretty bad ... 1 to 2x should yield good youtube footage.

night is a vast improvement over previous model ... but seem to require quite a bit of IR . i'm sure one of those sniper hog light would make it even better...

night time with IR long range in cover just won't happen... let me explain .. i have a feeder 170 yards away down a powerline with trees on both sides.

i tried to test out the scope to see how it would perform at night ... i have a 10 watt led on a pole at the feeder ...

turned the scope on in day mode and i could barely see the feeder ... this is where it gets interesting, turned into night mode and i saw less! total darkness!

i guess my feeder led doesn't put out ir spektrum ... so on went the ir illuminator ... no dice! it's like you could see if for a split second , then it vanished ... basically the scope self adjusts and the reflection on the trees alongside the power line actually desensitized the scope to the point i couldn't see.

some cameras have settings where they meter and adjust themselves based on spot metering , i wish this scope could meter based on the point of aim . it appears it does it based on the entire field of view at 1x. no bueno!

so even if this scope works for things like coyote hunting in open fields , any close by reflection will impair it's capabilities due to the way it works.

you can play with the brightness and focus of the illuminator (it has 3 settings)
    to try to minimize the effect.

overall , i'm pretty happy with the scope, it seems to be an improvement over the previous generation and should offer some good hunting footage depending on the landscape you use it on . it won't be good in heavy cover at night. but daytime or in the open should work well.

I will test out an IR illuminator at the feeder itself and see if that helps as well .

for the price , i think it's a good value for a 3rd of the price of entry level thermal scopes...

sorry no footage this time ... it was raining and misting pretty much all weekend .. not much to see!

The illuminator on mine is iffy and requires adjusting it's focus or spread along with brightness. Any weeds or brush in front of your target reflects back and washes the target out. Best way to help is to turn down the IR brightness but then the distance goes away. Daylight mode the pixels need a fine touch to get adjusted for clarity and the reticle adjustment stays put and even after taking the scope off the rifle with the QD base and putting it back on it holds perfect zero. I have mine set for 4 different rifles and it stays zeroed on all of them. Definitely not very useful in any kind of thick cover. Great tool for hunting wide open fields at night and with a better IR illuminator I think it will be good out to 300 yds. As shipped it's good to 200 in open fields. Great tool for hunting over feeders set in the wide open out to 100 yds. Not good for scanning as the targets require constant adjustment on the scope to keep it in focus as distance to target changes. The best part is in daylight mode I can easily see targets well past twilight when I wouldn't be able to make them out with binos or one of my good standard rifle scopes. That part really surprised me.

Comment

Working...
    X