Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #1
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County
Default Long range shooting?

Now with CCC closed Iíve been calling around to find a new range.

Seems fossil point has an $89 3 hour course to shoot 800 yards (pretty boring shooting that with an APR) I qualified before this in 9 shots with an old gun but they said that wonít work.

Some wonít allow anything over 308cal. (Buddy has a 338)

Where is everyone going? Fossil point said everyone is calling them to see what they offer in long range but 800 isnt great.

Im sure there was a post but search wasnít working for me. Any suggestions? Seems long range shooting is getting chopped down now.

Scott
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #2
imyomama
Ten Point

you got http://www.northeasttexastactical.com/ they are in terrell and got 1 mile ..
i contacted them and non member 1 day pass would be $75.

I have not personally had a chance to go and check them out so can't really comment on how good or nice the range is , but it's there ...

hope that helps.
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 03:47 PM   #3
scott.str
Ten Point

Yea I looked at them but 338 lapua is not allowed I believe so knocked out my buddy I usually go with. A mile would be plenty for the stuff we are looking for to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyomama View Post
you got http://www.northeasttexastactical.com/ they are in terrell and got 1 mile ..
i contacted them and non member 1 day pass would be $75.

I have not personally had a chance to go and check them out so can't really comment on how good or nice the range is , but it's there ...

hope that helps.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:10 PM   #4
RedRocker
Eight Point

I haven't shot out at Fossil Pointe in a while, but fortunately qualified before the change. I'm new at long range, so for now 800 is plenty good for me. Now if you could only get ammo without selling your soul.
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #5
EastTexasTiger
Six Point

in
EastTexasTiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #6
scott.str
Ten Point

Just picked up 8lb of RL 33 and 600 primers and tons of 308 and Creedmoor ammo at Scheels today. They had lots of powder that would work for most rounds. Not perfect ones but you could shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I haven't shot out at Fossil Pointe in a while, but fortunately qualified before the change. I'm new at long range, so for now 800 is plenty good for me. Now if you could only get ammo without selling your soul.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #7
RedRocker
Eight Point

Thanks, that store is crazy, went there for the first time about a month ago.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

It’s nowhere near your neck of the woods, but the West Texas Ordnance guys are building the Caprock Rifle Club out here in WTX currently. It’s good to 2500 yds.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #9
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.str View Post
Just picked up 8lb of RL 33 and 600 primers and tons of 308 and Creedmoor ammo at Scheels today. They had lots of powder that would work for most rounds. Not perfect ones but you could shoot.
Did they have small rifle primers?
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 06:19 PM   #10
scott.str
Ten Point

Yes small rifle magnums

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Did they have small rifle primers?
Old 04-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #11
scott.str
Ten Point

My buddy had a gun built by them. Great guys. Still want a 7 SAW from them.

But not willing to drive that far just yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Itís nowhere near your neck of the woods, but the West Texas Ordnance guys are building the Caprock Rifle Club out here in WTX currently. Itís good to 2500 yds.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #12
bdubb
Four Point

I don’t know distances on the ranges near Dallas but just a few that come to mind that may be worth looking closer at.

ETTS
BTAC
Jacobs Plain
Spartan Tactical
Fouled Bore (OK)

Cawthon Cartridge Club in Millican, Tx too.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #13
bdubb
Four Point

Used to be a private range outside of Glen Rose too that held the Lone Star PRS matches. No idea of it’s status now though. My guess is the Alamo guys would know more about it.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 07:39 PM   #14
Mark116
Four Point

Are you having to take this class to shoot on the long range? I have already qualified 3 of my guns on the 200 yard range by shooting sub moa. Does this still count? Last time I qualified one there was a guy there that said he ran the long range now. And was talking about giving lessons.
Mark116 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #15
RedRocker
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark116 View Post
Are you having to take this class to shoot on the long range? I have already qualified 3 of my guns on the 200 yard range by shooting sub moa. Does this still count? Last time I qualified one there was a guy there that said he ran the long range now. And was talking about giving lessons.
If you're already qualified then you're grandfathered in, but they "suggest" you take the course.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:31 PM   #16
Mark116
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
If you're already qualified then you're grandfathered in, but they "suggest" you take the course.
Interesting... used to you had to qualify with each rifle. So I guess I can shoot those 3 but if I want to shoot my APR build Iím waiting on I have to take the class???

The class would probably be beneficial but the dealing I had the day I qualified my 7mm left me not wanting to give the guy my money.
Mark116 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 10:02 PM   #17
scott.str
Ten Point

The way I understand it is yes New gun would need to qualify and take test or the owner watch you shoot to prove you can.

Quote:
Interesting... used to you had to qualify with each rifle. So I guess I can shoot those 3 but if I want to shoot my APR build Iím waiting on I have to take the class???

The class would probably be beneficial but the dealing I had the day I qualified my 7mm left me not wanting to give the guy my money.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:22 AM   #18
RedRocker
Eight Point

Quote:

Not sure, but wouldn't doubt it.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:59 AM   #19
labman
Eight Point

Fossil Point is offering shooters who have CCC PRS experience a chance to qualify without the class, have to email them and set it up. I believe the course of fire is 4-5 full size ipsc targets out to 800. Like others, I shot out there once and will not be returning. His place, his rules I suppose, but it's my money and time. The sales pitch for private lessons gets old, especially if I've seen the "instructor" shoot and not break the 50% mark in competition.

A friend of mine shot at Terrell and liked it, said the spotter was a little "too" helpful but other than that issue, was overall a solid range.

https://www.rrfwest.com/home.html used to be a fun place to shoot, I don't know if they are still open. I think the LR was out to 1500ish, maybe longer. The LR was by appointment, but it's been several years.
labman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #20
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
Fossil Point is offering shooters who have CCC PRS experience a chance to qualify without the class, have to email them and set it up. I believe the course of fire is 4-5 full size ipsc targets out to 800. Like others, I shot out there once and will not be returning. His place, his rules I suppose, but it's my money and time. The sales pitch for private lessons gets old, especially if I've seen the "instructor" shoot and not break the 50% mark in competition.

A friend of mine shot at Terrell and liked it, said the spotter was a little "too" helpful but other than that issue, was overall a solid range.

https://www.rrfwest.com/home.html used to be a fun place to shoot, I don't know if they are still open. I think the LR was out to 1500ish, maybe longer. The LR was by appointment, but it's been several years.
Not being able to shoot my handloads is a deal breaker.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 01:01 PM   #21
scott.str
Ten Point

Wow yea the amount of rules and classes I had to read through on their page is crazy. I only hand load for my rifles so all of em wouldnít be allowed to shoot. Plus $100 3 hour course and seems most weekends to shoot are booked. Also no 338 lapua allowed.

Man CCC closing is really hurting my gun enthusiasm. Someone needs to hurry and take their place and my money.

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post

Old 04-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #22
fish4food
Ten Point

Iím just now getting into this venture.

So glad I have property close that I can shoot as far as I can see.

Good luck guys. Sounds disappointing.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 10:08 AM   #23
scott.str
Ten Point

Have heard Alamo is working on something just don’t know how public it will be and if/when it’ll happen. If I knew this was happening I probably woulda changed my build or not had one made. Definitely puts a stop to any future guns for me for this kind of shooting