Guard dog....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
    As mentioned, if you get an aggressive breed dog you WILL likely pay more in insurances. That said, I'd look at a Belgium Malanois
    Careful. They are at this point strictly working dogs. A bit much for an average handler.

Comment

If barking is all you want or need then any medium/large breed will do. 95% of dogs will back away when a true threat is in front of them. Anyone that doesn't believe me can research for yourself. That dog that meets people at the fence like he is gonna tear them up can be run back up on the porch rather easily. LOL.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya51hBOj2bA"]Largo z Blatenského zámku - služební obrana - YouTube[/ame]
      Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 12-13-2016, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CB_TxNole View Post
        My Chesapeake is a good guard dog. Lol
        I never locked my truck when my chessie was in it. You want to to try it, grab something out of it.. lol

Comment

What are the best guard dog breeds for personal protection? What are the top smartest security dogs for property protection? I advice you read on to find out

Comment

Honest question, for all of you that want true guard dogs, what happens when your dog takes a chunk out of the UPS guy, the meter reader, or the tax appraiser? I don't think someone actually coming into your yard and getting ripped up by your "guard dog" will go over well in civil court. That's what has worried me about having a true guard dog. I'm more comfortable with using them as an alarm.

Comment

No one goes in my backyard. LOL. Animals do from time to time and their dead bodies get chunked over the fence. LOL. That said I have no idea what he would do when threatened. He is of the right lines but that isn't everything. Hopefully I never have to know. He is here to deter criminals and be my canine companion. I will do the guarding of the family if we are home.

Any worker that goes in the yard at someones house is either dumb or knows how to back a pet down. As a cable man for life I have been around "guard dogs" my whole life. I back them down all the time. If you show fear they win. If you take the alpha roll they give you room. If they show you that you ain't gonna intimidate which is very rare, then you never open the gate. Most dogs, when threatened, chose flight over fight.
              Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 12-13-2016, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                Honest question, for all of you that want true guard dogs, what happens when your dog takes a chunk out of the UPS guy, the meter reader, or the tax appraiser? I don't think someone actually coming into your yard and getting ripped up by your "guard dog" will go over well in civil court. That's what has worried me about having a true guard dog. I'm more comfortable with using them as an alarm.
                My Pup is absolutely more of an alarm. As much as I'm playing with him and my kiddos wrestle around with him, that's all I want though.

He's 95 lbs, and when he latches on to the toys we play with, I can pick him up and swing him around in circles without him letting go. I dont want him biting anything like that ever (liability wise) that isnt a toy.
                Attached Files

Comment

We have had several dogs over the years. My 12yo daughter had a border collie that would chew your arm off if you attempted to harm her. One time, I had to put him in the other room to give her a spanking. The first attempt ended with me getting dog bit. It was pretty funny and I don't think she ended up with a butt whopping. Unfortunately that dog passed.
                  We now have a 3yo daughter that has laid claim to our Blue Lacy. There have been threads on here that suggest they are not "kid dogs" I strongly disagree. This dog and my 3yo are best of pals. She pulls and tugs at his ears tail toes and he is VERY patient (BUT I MADE HIM THAT WAY).
                  I say all of this to say, the dog is only as smart as you make it. If you teach it "who is who" they will all pick up on it. Some will be more territorial than others, BUT I believe you could accomplish your goal with any dog that is big enough to handle business.
                  Spend time with the animal. I often take mine to grocery stores etc while they are young to socialize them but also teach them that all of these people are not "our people". I do not let adult strangers pet the dog, I do let the children though. Through out the aging of the pup they will pick up on it if you teach them. I don't want to sound corny, but I believe if you spend time with them, they will pick up on your energy. then your childs energy.
                  Just my $.02 I wouldn't focus on a breed, I would focus on grown size and general temperament then spend copious amounts of time with the dog and teach them things. Basic obedience is pretty dang hard to find within a lot of peoples dogs, don't be that guy!

Comment

Anybody got any more information or first hand experience with Boerbels?

Comment

I have been bit by 3 dogs. Worked in the utility industry.... 2 where healers....one was my own dog in a dog fight. He was so old that he could not see. So I did not hold it against him. He was getting whooped by a dog 1/4 his age and my black rubber boots probably looked like the other dog. Fyi great Danes, boxers and pits and rots were some of the biggest puppies I had ever seen. If you approached them right

Comment

Have had lots of dogs through the years, most were "alert" dogs. The one that would come to meet you with no bluff in his mind was a rescue Great Dane my wife came home with. He was fine with women, but men......no. If he thought you were too close to my wife, he would get between you and her and this low gutteral growl and showing all his teeth was always enough to stop any advance. Wouldn't let other dogs around her either. I sure miss him. Our boxers were great alert dogs, but they were scared of a mouse! LOL.

Comment

Do not get a Dogo.

Our 2 healers are awesome...

Comment

Rotts, Cane Corsos, Presa Canarios, large Pitts will scare off most without barking due to their stature, look and size without having to even bark.

Comment

Just get a Belgian. 100% of thugs and gang bangers will agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Heelers….. extremely loyal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X