For all the kayakers out there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all the kayakers out there!

I am looking to get a my first kayak to run some hill country rivers, the coast (inshore marsh), and ranch tanks. Would I be making a mistake not getting a pedal drive right off the bat? Would adding a trolling motor to a paddle yak compensate for the lack of pedal drive?

I have a really bad tendency to want to buy the best of the best, even when its not all that much better. I really dont want to spend a bunch (would like to stay around 1k since I have to get all the basic kayaking essentials on top of this cost), but the other part of me is afraid I may be cheaping out. Buy once cry once, or get a good 1k kayak, hit the water and learn for a bit then upgrade later? Any insight on this from the experienced guys would be awesome!

If I could go spend the money on a pedal yak I would in heart beat!!! If you want one and you know you will use it often enough to justify it, then definitely get pedal. Don’t get a paddle yak and put a trolling motor on it. You will have to register it with tpwd and go they all that dumb jazz. Unfortunately you won’t find a new pedal powered kayak for less than 2k. You can find some great deals on Hobie Compass, Predator Pedal, Hobie Outback and a few others on Facebook marketplace.
    I have an Old Town predator 13 and it’s the best kayak I’ve owed. Have had Jackson Coosa HD, Heritage fisherman and another Heritage. Being 5’10” 235lbs, I can stand and cast with ease in my predator. It tracks fast and is super stable. Kinda heavy but that’s what you get with a wide stable kayak. I want to upgrade bad but I gotta sell this one first.

Comment

I have never owned a peddle drive kayak. I will say though if you plan on paddling 3 or more miles round trip on a given day then it gets kind of miserable depending on the wind and weather, but it is still doable. I used to paddle around in Baffin Bay and would paddle 3 - 5 miles on a given day without any issues running a Vibe Sea Ghost 130. I don't think that a peddle drive is necessary, but it would have probably made those miles much easier to traverse.

ACK does Demo Days once a year where you can go out and test and paddle all sorts of kayaks, I would go to that and see what you like before pulling the trigger on a yak.

You may also get more responses if you post this on TexasKayakFisherman.

Comment

If this will be your first kayak I’d suggest getting a stable one with peddle drive option.

Vibe Seaghost is what I had before I sold it. It was stable I’m 6’4 240lbs and I could stand and fish out of it without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know. A kayak with paddles and trolling motor sounds like a skinny john boat. I've paddled plain ocean kayaks in the bay with no problem. I wont lie though, there were days I wish I had peddles or a motor :-) Guess it depends on how you want to use it.

Comment

I fish weekly out of my kayak which is paddle only. Seems like every day I wish I had peddle power so I can keep my direction where I want to be facing a whole lot easier. My next one will have peddles

Comment

My buddy just ordered one its called Hoodoo Temptest 12OP. seems to be a descent one from the reviews I have seen.

Comment

Buying a new quality pedal model with the quality goodies is going to run you in the $3k range when all said and done. And if you want to pinch the pennies on some of it please don't do it on your PFD. Shorter kayaks are good for swifter water situations, longer kayaks tend to track better and be more stable but come with a little more weight and paddle effort. Looking at your intended uses winds probably won't be a big concern for you. Underwater obstructions and vegetation might be for anything hanging below the hull? Pedal models can be damaged. Whatever you decide to buy, be safe and be smart when you are on the water.

Comment

If you can make one of the Kayak demo days put out by Austin Kayak, is resommend it. You can try out multiple yaks and talk to people about them.

Comment

Look at the Wilderness System Radar 115. You can add the peddle at anytime on this one.

We just bought them and they are very stable, easy to maneuver and right at your price range.

Comment

Originally posted by deano70 View Post
                      If you can make one of the Kayak demo days put out by Austin Kayak, is resommend it. You can try out multiple yaks and talk to people about them.
                      Not sure they are having them right now...can't hardly even get in the stores due to COVID. However, these guys are VERY knowledgeable and helpful.....even if you have to talk to them in the loading dock

Comment

FeelFree Kayaks are running specials on the Moken 12.5 V2 for $799 or the Lure 12 V2 for $899

It has the removable sonar pod for electronics that you could mount a trolling motor or upgrade and buy the overdrive pedals ($800) and be in a pedal drive boat for $1600 +tax. They are super stable. I stand and fish in my Lure Tandem and its the same width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My brother just bought yak from ACK. One of the sales reps let him take a yak out and test drive it, prior to purchasing. They were easy to work with. This was about three weeks ago, during the COVID. I've run 10, 12 and 14' paddle drive yaks on hill country lakes and rivers. I think the sweet spot is 10-12. Anything shorter and you will constantly have tracking issues. Anything longer and you will drag a lot (more) and turning will be a pain in the arse!

I have a Tarpon 120. My son has a Perception Pescador 12. The Pescardor is a bit lighter and has a better price point.

Good luck. Time spent on the water is time well spent.

Comment

I run the Jackson Big Rig. Mainly at LBJ and here in the Guadalupe in Comfort. I absolutely love it. But-it is definitely made for large humans and as such, I’m sure it’s not the fastest or most mobile but at 350lbs, I can stand and fish out of it and it goes through 3” of water with my big butt in it. Don’t think you’d want peddle drive in rivers but I assume those are just add on options on most kayaks?

Comment

I wouldn't want a pedal yak for fishing Hill Country rivers. The fins or props underneath the pedals wouldn't play well in all the shallow riffles and drag spots in the rivers. If you're gonna be in a lake or the ocean, then a pedal yak would be great.

For rivers, stick with paddling, and get a quality carbon paddle. They cost more than a cheap paddle, but they're light and stiff. That makes them much more efficient than heavier cheap paddles. Easier on you when you're out all day. Also, make sure it's long enough for you and your kayak. A paddle that's too short will wear you out too.

Comment

Working...
                              X