1968 Remington 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1968 Remington 700

So I inherited a Remington 700 when my grandfather passed away. Called in the serial number and they said it was made in 1968.

Anybody know much about 700's made back in that timeframe? Is this something special (sentimentality aside)? It is chambered in .30-06.

Put some new glass on it and it seems to shoot pretty good. This is the only rifle I own so I don't have much of a reference. Definitely want to hunt with it when I get a deer lease!
    Attached Files

That is an ADL Deluxe...sweet gun.

There is really nothing special other than getting hard to find in mint condition.

Comment

It's a 700 ADL. That is exactly like my first deer rifle. I worked all summer when I was in Jr High and saved up and bought it used. As far as collectability I don't think they are anything special but they are a solid rifle and built when Remington was probably producing a little better quality product.

It'll kill plenty of critters. It's a solid rifle that will last you as long as you want to use it.

Comment

I've had a few and still have one that APR turned into a custom 22-250AI.

It's hard to tell from the pic but looking at the bolt handle and age there's a good chance it has a slab sided safety which is nothing more than a oval shaped safety lever vs. round as we've seen since that era. Those triggers are really good and if you keep it, I suggest sending it to Neil Jones for tuning. He can do wonders with it for $75.

It may also have a notched rear receiver which would allow feeding with a stripper clip. Again, no gain other that those looking to build a period correct M40 would like to build on that action.

Comment

Thanks for weighing in! Here are some additional photos if they help.
          Attached Files

Comment

I have the same rifle and same year my dad bought me when I turned 14.

Comment

One more view
              Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful gun

Comment

Hard to tell about the notched receiver. It would be just under the rear portion of the scope mount.

It does have the slab sided safety and the year would make it possible to have the rear notch in the receiver.

It's a nice rifle and likely a shooter.

If it were me, since it has sentimental value I'd keep it as is. You may wish to remove the trigger and have Neil Jones tune it up then float the barrel channel and bed the action. Like I said, very likely good shooter could be a great shooter.

Enjoy you piece of family history.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I 100% plan to keep it - as Slick8 said, family history. Just wanted to know what I have.

Comment

Re-sale value around $400
                      Passed down from grandpa - PRICELESS

Nothing special about that model , chambering as Rem built a bunch

Yours is in very nice condition and should be very accurate with the right load

Comment

Originally posted by lmartin5 View Post
                        Beautiful gun
                        X-2

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                          Hard to tell about the notched receiver. It would be just under the rear portion of the scope mount.

It does have the slab sided safety and the year would make it possible to have the rear notch in the receiver.

It's a nice rifle and likely a shooter.

If it were me, since it has sentimental value I'd keep it as is. You may wish to remove the trigger and have Neil Jones tune it up then float the barrel channel and bed the action. Like I said, very likely good shooter could be a great shooter.

Enjoy you piece of family history.
                          My go to gun for 52 years has been a 30-06 that I had floated, bedded, and a trigger change. Then I figured out what it likes to eat, and it's my number one go to gun.
                          Get good glass and go hunt North America...............

Comment

They say those older Remingtons are great shooters!

Comment

Got one just like it!

Comment

Working...
                              X