Saddle question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddle question..

I hunt a lot of public land and I go pretty deep to get away from the crowds. I’m considering trying a saddle for obvious reasons.
    Has any of you Trad shooters tried a saddle and not liked? Lots of pros, any cons?
    Thx!!

I’ve used a modified Sit Drag as a saddle for a few years. Comfortable it is not! For a few hours it’s ok but after that it is miserable. I have killed a few critters out of it but I don’t use it often. Maybe a commercial model might be more comfortable. I need something for the long hikes in on public. Packing a stand and sticks along with my backpack full of stuff is getting the best of me.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampGhost View Post
      I’ve used a modified Sit Drag as a saddle for a few years. Comfortable it is not! For a few hours it’s ok but after that it is miserable. I have killed a few critters out of it but I don’t use it often. Maybe a commercial model might be more comfortable. I need something for the long hikes in on public. Packing a stand and sticks along with my backpack full of stuff is getting the best of me.
      That’s where I’m at, and ain’t getting no younger. I’ve even considered leaving lockons in the trees and just taking my sticks. I’ve got several spots I’ve not seen another soul or signs of anyone anywhere close. but I’m more worried about someone else keying in on my spots than stealing the stands.
      I gotta be comfortable and I’m worried about shooting out of one. Also I use the trees and limbs for background cover and almost every video I’ve seen of people shooting out of a saddle they are leaning on the side of the tree pretty well exposed .

Comment

I hunt out of a Tethrd Mantis and I love it. If you jump into the saddle game do yourself a favor and get a good platform. I tried to just make due without a platform and I couldn’t get as comfortable as I had hoped. I bought a Predator platform and was sold on the saddle setup the first set. As far as shooting a trad bow out of one, it takes a bit of practice to trust leaning out and pulling off the shots that it allows. Once you get comfortable and get confident in it you will be amazed at the ability to get off shots 360* around the tree.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Just watched a few videos on these. I’ve heard about saddle hunting, but never looked into it. That is cool. Pretty sure y’all just cost me $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The Tethrd Phantom is insanely comfortable.
              I agree that a platform does wonders.

There are very few situations where a saddle will restrict your shot opportunity. Far less than a traditional tree stand.
              I shoot a compound, but I know a couple guys that shoot trad out of their mantis or phantom exclusively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

there's also a company on Instagram that sells replacement steps for the climbing sticks.. it turns the top step into a platform .. i ordered one and really like it.. not as comfortable as the platform but cuts 3 or 4 pounds off your pack ..

Comment

I tried one all of last season. It has its place but it wont replace a stand for me. I just ordered a millenium m7 and Im pretty sure thats what I will use most this year.

Cons:
                  Take all the stuff (knife, keys, wallet, phone) out of your pockets or it will pinch you. This also plays a part when you are eating snacks or playing on the phone because you cant just slip it in your pocket as easily with the saddle on.

You need hooks for your backpack and bow which is another item to carry and set up in the tree. In a hang on I just hook my pack to the stand/strap next to the seat and set my bow tip on my toe or lay it across my lap.

I got pretty uncomfortable after about 3 hours and found myself swinging around and adjusting way more than I should be during a hunt.

Pros:
                  Its more compact to carry in through brush.

Its a little lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                    I tried one all of last season. It has its place but it wont replace a stand for me. I just ordered a millenium m7 and Im pretty sure thats what I will use most this year.

Cons:
                    Take all the stuff (knife, keys, wallet, phone) out of your pockets or it will pinch you. This also plays a part when you are eating snacks or playing on the phone because you cant just slip it in your pocket as easily with the saddle on.

You need hooks for your backpack and bow which is another item to carry and set up in the tree. In a hang on I just hook my pack to the stand/strap next to the seat and set my bow tip on my toe or lay it across my lap.

I got pretty uncomfortable after about 3 hours and found myself swinging around and adjusting way more than I should be during a hunt.

Pros:
                    Its more compact to carry in through brush.

Its a little lighter.
                    Yes sir my feelings are the same!

Comment

My bow and backpack hangers are on a single strap... weighs 6 ounces.
                      I’d rather add 6 ounces to my saddle setup than carry a stand any day. But, my back can’t handle a regular stand. That’s the reason I switched to a saddle in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have hunted from a saddle for 3 years now on almost every sit. I will start by saying, no, it isn't the cure for all your problems, but it could definitely become a tool that, when learned to be used correctly, could help you while hunting. I will echo one thing Clay said, if you're going to try a saddle and not use a platform, you're doing yourself a major injustice. I have invested in several different platforms over the few years I have been using them. I have used WE stepps, tethrd predator, LWCG Ambush, top of climbing stick, ameristep ROS, and everything else I could find. In my opinion, there is NO COMPARRISON between a platform and anything else. I want a platform, and I want it as large as i can get it. I am currently using the LWCG ambush and it's by far my favorite with second being the predator. FWIW, the predator is a better platform, it's better thought out, better design, and I like it more, but the Ambush is pretty significantly larger and that matters for me.

I am able to stand completely upright and spin around to shoot behind me with the ambush.

Also, the saddle matters. Not all are created equal. They're also not all able to be sat in one time and find comfort. You'll have to adjust your bridge length, tether height, saddle positioning, etc to find your optimal comfort. Another factor is you'll likely be very uncomfortable for your first few sits as you're not in "saddle shape" yet. But, I will tell you that after you get used to the saddle, it is an incredible tool for your tool box.

My total carrying in weight is right at 11 pounds for my sticks(also a huge part people don't invest enough time in) and platform. I don't count my saddle as a weight as I am wearing it in and it's not a noticeable weight.

If you have any questions, feel free to text me 3185473756.

Comment

Working...
                        X