This will open a can of worms!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
    For what it's worth (see what I did there? ), I thought both antlers had to be unbranched until I just re-read the regulations. I agree with the others, the regulations clearly state at least 1 (ONE) unbranched antler (no more than 1 point)...HOWEVER...the definition of a point says that if a protrusion is shorter than 1" it doesn't count. So in the case that you have two little 3/4" forked nubs it does not meet the definition of a point so it's technically not branched.

[ATTACH]942240[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]942241[/ATTACH]
    Winner winner !!!

Comment

What time do you set your feeder to go off at after the time change?

Comment

I would give it another year, if the price was right.

Comment

Any interest in a stand and fill feeder??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Open to trades?

Comment

give the can of worms another year

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
                Any interest in a stand and fill feeder??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                If its 85 gallon, then yes

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                  That is the point of the late season. So you can hunt for the big one all season and if you don't use your tag you can use it on a deer the TP&W thinks should be killed. If it's 3/4" it's unbranched and legal to kill.
                  Most counties are a 2 buck county. If you kill big boy, you can still kill this one. I still dont know why anyone would want to kill a deer with 3/4" forks. Why not let him grow and see what he turns out to be. Killing him in the late season makes no sense to me, especially if you would not shoot him during general season. It is not like he got any smaller during the hunting season, that would warrant the deer being shot during the extra 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                    Most counties are a 2 buck county. If you kill big boy, you can still kill this one. I still dont know why anyone would want to kill a deer with 3/4" forks. Why not let him grow and see what he turns out to be. Killing him in the late season makes no sense to me, especially if you would not shoot him during general season. It is not like he got any smaller during the hunting season, that would warrant the deer being shot during the extra 2 weeks.

Just because you wouldn’t do it doesn’t mean nobody else should. We all hunt for different reasons. Criticizing someone for wanting to shoot a legal deer doesn’t help anything. Maybe he wants meat and shooting that deer will give it to him.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                      For what it's worth (see what I did there? ), I thought both antlers had to be unbranched until I just re-read the regulations. I agree with the others, the regulations clearly state at least 1 (ONE) unbranched antler (no more than 1 point)...HOWEVER...the definition of a point says that if a protrusion is shorter than 1" it doesn't count. So in the case that you have two little 3/4" forked nubs it does not meet the definition of a point so it's technically not branched.

[ATTACH]942240[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]942241[/ATTACH]
                      Yep... it is pretty clear when you read the actual regulations and don't use the "terms" that are often thrown around by folks. It isn't "spike" season, it isn't a "doe" tag, etc...

Comment

Well a couple of things. The county that I used to hunt in that had the late special season like this let me shoot does an unbranched deer during regular season too... At the end of the day, I had less time at the bucks, so I might be more inclined to shoot them first because I had less time to do so... then with the extra 2 weeks, I'd shoot the does and these bucks.

It is a management tool that the State is using based on typical hunter behavior. They know folks are going to be after big bucks and nothing else... but those other things in those counties with these special counties need killing too... so they give you a couple weeks where that is the only thing allowed to be killed... does and "inferior" deer. Pretty sure these special late seasons are in 5 deer counties BTW... where there are plenty o' deer to go around.

But to be honest, I'm a first come first killed kinda guy... so I shot the inferior deer during general season anyways

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                          Just because you wouldn’t do it doesn’t mean nobody else should. We all hunt for different reasons. Criticizing someone for wanting to shoot a legal deer doesn’t help anything. Maybe he wants meat and shooting that deer will give it to him.
                          I am not criticizing him at all. He opened "a can of worms" and asked for opinions with the thread. I hunt for the same reasons as most, for the meat. That being said, I dont shoot 6 month-1 year old deer with 3/4" forks. I would rather shoot an antlerless deer or a doe.

Comment

I am not criticizing him at all. He opened "a can of worms" and asked for opinions with the thread. I hunt for the same reasons as most, for the meat. That being said, I dont shoot 6 month-1 year old deer with 3/4" forks. I would rather shoot an antlerless deer or a doe.

Well you’re obviously a better human being than some of us.

Comment

This was from the outdoor annual for Erath County (where I hunt). I read this as the antlered deer must not have any branched antlers

Special Late Jan. 7 - 20, 2019

Special Late Season: During the Special Late Season, harvest is restricted to antlerless deer and unbranched antlered bucks. An unbranched antlered buck is any buck deer with an antler having no more than one point.

Comment

565-585 lbs...+/-

Comment

Working...
                                X