The Teacher Retirement System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
    Yep..And if she draws any SS from another job she had, they will dock the SS! Say you are double dipping!
    Unless you are in TRS and also paying SS from that job. If that is the case then no you are not double dipping

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
      I'm in a city pension and been saying for years that even government defined pensions will go away. They are continually whittling away at them. I'm done in a year and will do ok but they young guys better count on other investments
      The private sector got rid of pensions decades ago. Very few companies still have them. Anyone that has a pension should consider themselves fortunate. He/she should also contribute to a defined contribution plan (401k, 403b, Traditional/Roth IRA, etc.) in order to save money to supplement the pension - ESPECIALLY if the teacher works for a district that doesn't pay into Social Security (most don't).

Comment

TRS is a great pension, but it’s smart to have other investments.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          The private sector got rid of pensions decades ago. Very few companies still have them. Anyone that has a pension should consider themselves fortunate. He/she should also contribute to a defined contribution plan (401k, 403b, Traditional/Roth IRA, etc.) in order to save money to supplement the pension - ESPECIALLY if the teacher works for a district that doesn't pay into Social Security (most don't).

This...1,000%!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            Exactly. I have a 457 plan and my wife has an IRA.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
              How much time off do
              Teachers get? Mmm k...
              If you think of it in days, a lot. If the question is time, not much. I’m required to be on campus 55hrs a week 38 weeks a year. 55x38=2,090hrs annually. 2,090/40hr typical work week is 52.25 weeks. I also have to plan, set up labs, keep inventory of supplies and grade. This usually takes 10hrs a week and is done from home. So, 38x65=2,470 annual hours. 2,470/40hr week is 61.75 weeks. There are only 52 weeks in a year.
              I just finished planning the next two weeks. I’m in hell teaching virtually.

Comment

Talked today with my best buddie about how his in laws were living on $1500.00 a month. Be thrilled you are getting something...............

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  Yep..And if she draws any SS from another job she had, they will dock the SS! Say you are double dipping!
                  This is my big gripe. I have my 40+ quarters in SS and I would be eligible for $1900 month but because I am retiring with TRS, they cut me down to $963/month. Frigging crooks.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                    This is my big gripe. I have my 40+ quarters in SS and I would be eligible for $1900 month but because I am retiring with TRS, they cut me down to $963/month. Frigging crooks.
                    How much money did you contribute to SS over the years? Got a total?

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      Sucks.
                      Just looked at my wife's numbers. After 33 years completed she would only get 76% of her high 5 years average. Each additional year she can only gain 2.3%. So she would have to teach another 11 years to get what her high 5 salary average is now.
                      It's no wonder so few young people want to be or stay at teaching.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                      Ummmm....what exactly do you think it should be? And where do you want the extra funds to come from? TRS should just be one leg of the retirement stool your wife plans to live off of in retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post

Windfall Elimination Provision. Wait til you learn about Government Pension Offset for your spouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                          How much time off do
                          Teachers get? Mmm k...
                          You know they don’t get paid for those days off, right?

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            Sucks.
                            Just looked at my wife's numbers. After 33 years completed she would only get 76% of her high 5 years average. Each additional year she can only gain 2.3%. So she would have to teach another 11 years to get what her high 5 salary average is now.
                            It's no wonder so few young people want to be or stay at teaching.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                            76% of her best five years to not work and only pay about $200 a month for health insurance, yeah that’s terrible

Comment

Originally posted by Cookiemonster1 View Post
                              My only gripe is that once you are in it they shouldn't be able to change the rules.
                              Agreed.

I believe there should be no public pensions though(going forward, folks already in are grandfather). They are not sustainable.

A 76% pension is awesome IMO.

Comment

Heck my wife retired, sat out for a year and went back to teaching. She's now drawing retirement and salary.

Comment

Working...
                                X