Popped One With A BB Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popped One With A BB Gun

Some of yall followed my live thread yesterday but ill write up the first hunt. It really started Monday. I sat a stand and saw 9 bucks. Several mature deer but one was a giant bodied old deer that I know well. Ancient old sucker but still ruling. 18 inside and super heavy. Very short tines though. I wanted to shoot him but kept thinking he wouldn't score crap. As I drove home I just made up my mind that if I saw a deer I wanted to shoot again, I was going to shoot him . Suddenly I was excited again.

Monday night I started a live thread that said I was gonna KEEEEL something. Tuesday morning I headed in early after updating the thread. I never do live threads. I sneaked into my ground blind with no light. I have a corn pen at 65yds. Through the binos I could see a wide throat patch looking at me from the pen. I crawled in the blind and he dropped his head to eat.

Daylight came slow. In the predawn I now had at least four deer fighting and arguing over position in the pen. A couple of pretty good horn clashes kept my heart rate up. I had no idea who was in the pen as I had seen 9 bucks there monday evening. My target deer on the stand was a heavy ten with a fused g2/G3. That said I knew if a mature buck rolled in I was gonna shoot him. I got tired of just watching.

Legal shooting time was close and I could be pretty sure two of the deer were shooters including the wide 8 from monday but was also pretty sure the ten was not there. Disaster struck. Deer snorted and scattered every direction. Through the binos I made out a coyote circle behind the pen.

I was hurt but knew there was a good chance some of the deer would be back but feared the mature deer might just drop into my sanctuary for the day. Ten minutes from legal shooting time and a dang yote.

As day broke I double checked my 457 texan air rifle loaded with 290gr hollow points and made sure the clearance was good on the window. Here came a small 8pt back. Then a nice wide 4ish year old. That's what I was worried about. The big deer had been eating an hour and now the young bucks were getting a turn. There is an opening in the cane that deer often use and I caught a glimpse of horns coming through. It's 15 minutes into legal shooting time now but still low light at the 80 yds to the deer. I half heartedly raised the binos as he walked out. HOLY CRAP it's the ten! I clumsily put the binos down and got my airgun up. I got him in the scope facing me and he read my mind as he turned 90 degrees to confront one of the other bucks.

Cross hairs 1/3 way up in the crease. Pop! He bucked and mule kicked before asking into the brush. He stopped. I could see motion them it got quiet. I got my phone out and updated. Shot fired! I knew I needed to give him time. I figured 30 minutes. Well 10 minutes later it was getting brighter and I could imagine I was. Looking at a hig horn sticking up where I saw him last. Long enough. I got out and walked a few yards past pen. A pretty white belly was right th here only 20yds from the shot.

Hes a very nice buck and I'm especially proud of getting him with an air rifle .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GarGuy; 11-11-2020, 09:39 PM.

I followed your other thread nice buck congratulations out of curiosity have you put a tape on him yet?

Comment

Wow, what an awesome write up. Congratulations on that stud!!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

Want to hear more on details of air rifle. Price, etc. congrats!

Comment

That’s just awesome! Congratulations GG!

Comment

Congrats again. That’s a really good looking buck!!!

Comment

Nice one Steve!

Comment

Great buck, nothing new there.

The BB gun sure makes hunting fun!

Comment

I was following the other thread. That is one awesome looking buck. Congratulations to you on getting it done with a BB gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Very nice buck, congrats

Comment

GG, you da Man.

Comment

I like your hat too

Comment

Just rub it in Steve....[emoji38] Fantastic beast right there!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome buck Steve! Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                              Want to hear more on details of air rifle. Price, etc. congrats!
                              457 texan long. You can get it with a silencer too since its not a firearm. About 1000 bucks. Then you need a scope and an air bottle to recharge it. Deadly to 100yds.

Comment

Working...
                              X