My Daughter Was Drawn at Chaparral WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Daughter Was Drawn at Chaparral WMA

This was our first year applying and she was drawn for Youth GDA/S at Chaparral. She's almost 9 and this will be her first deer hunt. This is also the first time I will have been on a drawn hunt. We live near Dallas and haven't been down the WMA before either. If anyone has been on a hunt there before, I would certainly appreciate any info you are willing to share. I'd also like to know how camping/lodging is handled for these hunts.

Thanks and Happy Hunting,
    Scott

Congrats

Comment

They have some covered tent campsites and a bathroom and showers beside the WMA headquarters. If you stay in a hotel it is a good haul back to the WMA. Congrats. True south texas hunt

Comment

They have primitive and camper campsites available.

Take corn and a pop up down there. They have blinds, but pop ups are good on the sendros. They have a walk in cooler and cleaning area.
        Yall will have a good time.

Comment

It's a great WMA for youth hunters. Lots of game- paved roads around the ranch. Camping onsite is basic- but there is a bathroom. Lots of folks camp so it's fun for the kids. The first year we went the road noise was unbearable in the campground but better since then. It's about 30 minutes to cotula.
          You will assigned a hunting area so don't worry about picking a unit.
          Bring a pop-up and corn. They will take you to your unit the first hunt. Take a GPS- it's a huge place. Ask if they have pre-baited an area. Don't be afraid to look around before you set up. Bait a couple of places incase one doesn't get discovered.

We were drawn as well but turns out are not available that weekend. Hopefully someone on here will get the second draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Camping is onsite. Plan on 30 minutes to Cotulla if you decide to stay in a hotel.

Comment

bring a chair, they have a few open top blinds scattered around the place. Long straight senderos, tons of javalina and deer with some hogs too. some of the back roads will get sloppy if it rains while you are there, 4wd truck would be nice. big bucks there if you have patience to pass on the smaller ones

Comment

I did that hunt with my son a couple of years ago. I had the dates messed up and we ended up being a day late. He didn't shoot anything, but we saw the biggest buck either one of us has ever seen down there. I have camped at the campground many times and it is save, but a little noisy sometimes.

You can use the elevated stands but the deer might be educated to them. I put up a ground blind on the edge of one of the senderos so we could see. The buck popped out right in front of the blind as we were walking to the truck.

Driving down I always bypass Austin and take 130/45 down to I-10 and shoot across to SA and the bypass. It takes about six hours from Frisco with little traffic.
                Last edited by grizzman; 09-08-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Cotulla has hotels and is about a 30 minute drive from the headquarters. The camp ground is good. There are two private bathrooms on the campground and plenty of space to put up a tent. The weather should be mild (if it doesn't rain.) Bring corn to throw out. They do have a nice walk-in cooler to hang your deer/hogs. They have paved roads going to all the compartments. A 2wd truck is perfect to take. Good luck!

Comment

Oh, and the biologists may tell you to shoot any warthogs if you see them.

Comment

Awesome deal you have in front of you there. Heard nothing but great thinks about Chap.

Comment

Not much to add except congrats and good luck! Best youth hunting experience I've encountered! The last time we went, all of the covered spots were gone when we arrived about midnight before the hunt. Go early if you want a covered table.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                          It's a great WMA for youth hunters. Lots of game- paved roads around the ranch. Camping onsite is basic- but there is a bathroom. Lots of folks camp so it's fun for the kids. The first year we went the road noise was unbearable in the campground but better since then. It's about 30 minutes to cotula.
                          You will assigned a hunting area so don't worry about picking a unit.
                          Bring a pop-up and corn. They will take you to your unit the first hunt. Take a GPS- it's a huge place. Ask if they have pre-baited an area. Don't be afraid to look around before you set up. Bait a couple of places incase one doesn't get discovered.

We were drawn as well but turns out are not available that weekend. Hopefully someone on here will get the second draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          When we were there 2 years ago you picked your area based off of what number your ticket was drawn. Ours was drawn second, so we basically had to decide on the entire area! It might have changed since then, im not sure.

OP, this will be one of the most exciting hunts you'll go on. When you get there and see some of the bucks that have came off the WMA, it will surely get the blood flowing. Look at a map that shows drainages and try to set up near those. Best of luck.

Comment

Congrats

No email so guess we didn't draw

Comment

Congratulations. I have seen some great deer at Chaparral WMA. I've seen the best deer in South Jay and Rosindo pastures but I'm sure there is great potential in all the pastures.

Comment

Working...
                              X