The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWP View Post
    Just looked up the Asolos and they look awesome. 700+ positive reviews also.
    $189

Comment

They are $151 with the code.

Ladrones, how do they fit size wise? Need to get bigger/smaller or true?

Comment

They are $151 with the code.

Ladrones, how do they fit size wise? Need to get bigger/smaller or true?
        I wear a size 12 wide they fit true to the size. Needed no break-in. The are really nice up in the rock. You will be really impressed getting a real solid boot compared to the pronghorn.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
          You will be really impressed getting a real solid boot compared to the pronghorn.

That is very true. Huge difference in a real boot vs. the Pronghorn IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
            For me there isn't too much different:

10x42 Binos with harness
            - waterproof watch with alarm
            - Bushnell ARC 1000 with Nikon retractable tether
            - Garmin Etrex Hcx GPS
            - pocketknife
            - bugle, cow calls, mouth calls
            - gloves
            - release
            - bow
            - cap
            - Gaiters
            -- Sitka Ascent or Sitka 90% pants
            - Sitka Core T or Gander Mountain T
            - Core 4 Element merino boxers
            - Russell short sleeve base layer
            - Smartwool socks
            - poly sock liners
            - Lowa Ranger boots
            I will add I am usually wearing my Sitka vest as well.
            I don't see a Montana decoy anywhere on your list. They are worth their weight in gold during alot of situations. We called in 2 bulls for shot opportunities last year with them. Especially for a solo hunter....its a must have IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
              I don't see a Montana decoy anywhere on your list. They are worth their weight in gold during alot of situations. We called in 2 bulls for shot opportunities last year with them. Especially for a solo hunter....its a must have IMO.
              I should probably try it again, used one one year and it didn't make a difference. The elk ignored it on OTC public ground in Colorado, unit 80.

Of course, that might have been due to my calling at the time.

I have a Kifaru Timberline (T1) to try out, and that pack is lightweight. Aron shipped his to me and we have talked quite a bit about it and the possibilities that pack has.
              I added two waist pockets (eberlestock small) and the XTL lid and it was still under 7 lbs.
              The vertical side pockets are huge, and with the two smaller pockets that are part of the pack and the XTL lid there is enough organization to keep me happy. The cordura is tough but not heavy and being 500d is flexible.
              When I handed the pack to my wife I held it out on one finger.

Comment

I was thinking about this just last night!!! Great minds.

So, how have you had the best success? Solo and a team?

Do you guys set up and blind call, wait for an hour and then move and set up again? Or just chase bugles in mornings and evenings and nap during the mid day lull?

Comment

3d, just checked out the Timberline. Looks sweet. Can you take lots of picks and give us your opinions?

Comment

I got the Kenetreks this past year I like them a lot I am done with the pronghorns. In fact I have a pair of 13 pronghorns broke in well but still waterproof and good if someone needs them. I also like my merrell hiking shoes depending on the terrain.

Comment

In the past I have worn Asolo Fugitives religiously in the mountains with great success. These boots are bullet proof! I just don't care for the "boot" experience being so constricting, so I have moved on to trail runners. If your ankles can take the abuse, this might be an option. Under Armour has a stacked line of light weight hunting boots that could also be another option for ankle support for those that need it. Typically I only carry 14 - 16 pounds total weight for a 3 day jaunt, so this is an added bonus with respect to footwear selection.

Comment

Do you guys set up and blind call, wait for an hour and then move and set up again? Or just chase bugles in mornings and evenings and nap during the mid day lull?
                        This:
                        set up and blind call, wait for an hour and then move and set up again.

I have had a hard time finding bugling bulls on OTC ground in Colorado, if I hear one bugling I am going to move in as silent as I can, I may use a bugle to get him to sound off, or if I get close enough I might use some cow calls to get his interest, but if he will keep bugling I'm moving in as silent as I can.

Each situation is different, but I've seen more bulls within eyesight round up their cows and take off running the opposite direction when they hear someone calling on OTC ground. I've also watched bulls that were feeding hear someone throw out a locate bugle farther up canyon and they picked their heads up, looked around and then quietly and quickly fed out of sight away from the person calling.

I should be able to get some pics of the Timberline pack up this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Kokanee View Post
                          In the past I have worn Asolo Fugitives religiously in the mountains with great success. These boots are bullet proof! I just don't care for the "boot" experience being so constricting, so I have moved on to trail runners. If your ankles can take the abuse, this might be an option. Under Armour has a stacked line of light weight hunting boots that could also be another option for ankle support for those that need it. Typically I only carry 14 - 16 pounds total weight for a 3 day jaunt, so this is an added bonus with respect to footwear selection.
                          You ARE ultra light!!! Do you just have a big pack for meat at the truck? There are folks who hunt elk in chacos and five fingers, talk about silent stalking.

Mind giving us a list of what you take with you?

Comment

We hunt DIY but on good private ground in NM so it may not apply in OTC public units because of the pressure. But if we don't hear any bugles early we will set up in a spot that has a good wind direction of where we think a bull might come from. We start cow calling first.....if we don't get a response then we might let out a locator bugle. You have to try and judge their mood.....if they are not talking there is little you can do to influence them.

If we get a bugle that's workable then we call again to pinpoint his location and judge his mood. We just try to find out if a bull is coming closer, going away, or staying put. They we make a plan of attack.

For solo hunting I like deploying a decoy if you have a bugling bull headed to you. They will absolutely pin you down exactly where the sound is coming from and if they can't see a cow then they are gone...unless its a young bull. Plus you can use the decoy as a blind to draw your bow.

Alot can change during the course a of a hunt so don't be afraid to try different things is one thing doesn't work. If they are not talking I think you are better off just being quiet and maybe setting up on a water hole or trail....rather than blowing them to the next mountain range.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                              This:
                              set up and blind call, wait for an hour and then move and set up again.

I have had a hard time finding bugling bulls on OTC ground in Colorado, if I hear one bugling I am going to move in as silent as I can, I may use a bugle to get him to sound off, or if I get close enough I might use some cow calls to get his interest, but if he will keep bugling I'm moving in as silent as I can.

Each situation is different, but I've seen more bulls within eyesight round up their cows and take off running the opposite direction when they hear someone calling on OTC ground. I've also watched bulls that were feeding hear someone throw out a locate bugle farther up canyon and they picked their heads up, looked around and then quietly and quickly fed out of sight away from the person calling.

I should be able to get some pics of the Timberline pack up this weekend.
                              I completely agree with this ^^^^^. Also I have had the majority of bulls I have called in come in silent in OTC units. Just because they aren't talking back to you don't mean they aren't coming in to investigate.

If I hear a bugle in one of these areas I will get up and move toward it to investigate myself. Silently, not calling back. The way they like to come to calls.

Comment

You ARE ultra light!!! Do you just have a big pack for meat at the truck? There are folks who hunt elk in chacos and five fingers, talk about silent stalking.

Mind giving us a list of what you take with you?
                                Ha ha! No, I am still staring at my framed tag on the wall, so haven't had the experience of packing my own success story out of the backcountry. I hunt with freinds local to the area who have their own packstock for those fortunate to harvest. This past season I was also lucky enough to arrive after the monsters were taken and "missed" out on assisting to the horses!

It will take some time, but I can put my gear list up when I can get it off my laptop. I will forwarn all that I am a total "Sheldon" when it comes to this kind of stuff and have spared no cost nor time researching the most lightweight (read expensive) gear imaginable. There are even dedicated websites for travel sized everything! Pain meds to food, cookware to waste disposal... You ask for it, it's out there.

BTW
                                Yes, I did buy a Mathews Helim just because it weighs a smidge under 4 pounds outfitted... It's a sickness that I will take no responsibility infecting others with !

Comment

Working...
                                X