Closed Thread
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #451
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth View Post
Ask woodsman how that shot went for him...
You boys need to lay off his ***.

Like yíall have never wounded an animal or made a poor shot. Itís his decision. Not yours. It was legal. Thereís a ton of folks on here that wouldnít even shoot at a deer thatís broadside with a bow. Itís evident with all the tracking dog threads amongst other things. But those guys get full support. Rightfully so.

The guy made a poor shot choice. It ended badly. No need to keep kicking the man when heís down.
trophy8 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #452
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
https://youtu.be/wrWYuh_s1RQ

Just gonna leave this here.
Iím just gonna leave this here

http://youtu.be/W77uk1ejcpY
GoneSouth is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #453
perow
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Moran

Gonesouth how close do you hunt to hag?
perow is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #454
rebelbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: tx,ks,ok

Woodsman, i applaud your efforts to find your deer and your restraint responding to the trolls. i sincerely doubt said trolls would stop hunting if the shoe was on the other foot.
rebelbow is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #455
flufster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Once again Iím not bashing him for taking the shot. Personally I wouldnít go after another buck unless I had proof that the one I shot was alive and well. All the signs that were presented to me leads me to believe he may be dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was my thoughts as well. Not sure how you go to bed expecting buzzards to find it the next day. Then look at your arrow through binos from your stand and decide deer is fine. The description from the shot was that it stopped in a short distance, was ďgushing bloodĒ and laboring to breath. Bedded at 150 yards but bumped over a fence by the hunter. Was still on blood at the fence crossing and land owner says If it died on his side of fence it was likely that buzzards would find it and he would return it to the hunter. Next buck walks out and all that was out the window. Anyhow, to each their own and it will be my last post on the subject. Will be interesting to see if the buck shows up dead and landowner calls.

flufster is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #456
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cameron Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Randall Val Verde Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Well at this point what’s the question? I’ve stated 3x that I took a frontal shot.

The shot I took is a deadly shot, just not the highest percentage one. Everybody knows that. I’m gonna study up their anatomy before I ever think about taking that shot again. Maybe I’ll never try it again, I don’t know. What more can I say.

If it makes everyone feel better, I just missed an opportunity at first light on a nice 8 pt at 7-8 yards because I was so sick about yesterday and almost didn’t make the drive to hunt this morning. Got in a little late and couldn’t get hooked up fast enough. I’m being punished.

Sorry if I sound a little hacked, I just don’t believe that’s a serious question. Sounds like a point is being made, and if so, point taken.
I didn't catch that you said it earlier in the thread, the TV guys get away with this shot they just don't show you the 10 they lost when taking it. Thats what I like about the meat eater show, you see the good and the bad.
bossbowman is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #457
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by perow View Post
Gonesouth how close do you hunt to hag?
What does that have to do with taking a low percentage shot? Does the percentage go up the closer I am to the hag?
Old 12-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #458
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cameron Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Randall Val Verde Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerball View Post
lit was left out there a while back. I found it on the hog hunt in the spring...
its still there
Old 12-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #459
perow
Pope & Young

Quote:
What does that have to do with taking a low percentage shot? Does the percentage go up the closer I am to the hag?
Just curious

I have asked others and no one can answer me yet but what makes a frontal shot non-lethal or low percentage shot? I have seen 2-3 people post trail cam pics of deer that have been shot broadside and still kicking around
Old 12-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #460
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Okay last post on this issue, this is getting ridiculous. Obviously I can only tag one deer. I made every effort to recover him, I would think thatís pretty clear by now, but maybe I assume too much from some here. Feds, state, landowneróall involved. I spent nearly 5 hours on my hands and knees looking for blood. I now have further evidence that the deer is fine.

In the unlikely event that I 1) kill a buck today, and then 2) landowner finds previous buck (not going to happen now), what do YOU think the legal & moral thing to do is? Itís pretty clear to me.

I hope this response pleases the court. I think this issue is closed. If anyone has further hypothetical questions about whether Iím going to follow the law, please feel free to PM me I guess.

Anybody seeing anything any movement?
You weren't the first this year to take a rushed shot on a big mature buck there this year, I wish people would remember their IBEP training on good shot angles, thats why they require you've taken bowhunter ed for this hunt.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #461
perow
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
its still there
It should be in the Hag hall of fame
Old 12-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #462
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

This threads got more armchair quarterbacks than ESPN.
Etxbuckman is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #463
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake05 View Post
Why is everyone sugercoating it? He drew blood so thats his deer. Lesson learned on being patient and taking a better shot. Trying to make yourself feel better because u dont think u got penetration isnt right. That deer could die easily from infection or any number of reasons. Im not trying to be rude but when I draw blood im done no matter if I find the deer or not. If people each wound 4 deer a year because they keep hunting after not finding a deer we wont have anything left to hunt! Sorry rant over. Good luck to the hunters out there.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #464
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Just curious

I have asked others and no one can answer me yet but what makes a frontal shot non-lethal or low percentage shot? I have seen 2-3 people post trail cam pics of deer that have been shot broadside and still kicking around
Itís not the odds of lethality, as much as it is odds of recovery. Most deer shot in th vitals broadside will be recovered, most deer shot from the front will not. Itís not a question about wether or not the shot will kill him, itís can you find him after.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #465
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Itís not the odds of lethality, as much as it is odds of recovery. Most deer shot in th vitals broadside will be recovered, most deer shot from the front will not. Itís not a question about wether or not the shot will kill him, itís can you find him after.

Most? Most?? You sound awful confident in those ďstatisticsĒ... please re-read your quoted post. Think about it... And maybe donít post again in this thread. Probably best for all.

I do like the comparison of someone shooting a turkey with their bow to a frontal shot in a whitetail. Both have smaller lethal shot areas than a broadside deer, for example. Would yíall use a bow on a turkey? I have. Didnít recover at least one either... But Iíve killed a bunch of them

In the heat of the moment on public land itís an understandable shot IMO. Maybe not for everyone, but public hunting in general is tough and oftentimes you donít get many chances - or any (ask most of the hunters that were out there this wknd).

Thanks for taking us along hunters! For the neighboring private land lessees, I promise there are plenty of bucks to go around.
peterp63 is online now   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #466
Bb187
Nubbin' Buck

How many bucks were taken during seg.c? How many in total this year on hagerman between the 3 segments?
Bb187 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #467
rocky
Pope & Young

Woodsman, I hate the fact that you lost this buck. When youíre hunting without feed, you will have to choose the first, best shot provided. Iíve taken 3 quartering to shots. 2 on big Kansas bucks, and one on a doe in Texas. All three were lethal and died within sight. Iíve lost more deer by waiting until the perfect IBEP shot presented itself. Rest easy, itís a deer, and there are over 4 million deer in Texas. Iím not promoting this shot, or minimizing losing a deer, but it happens everyday during the Texas deer season.
rocky is online now   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #468
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp63 View Post
Most? Most?? You sound awful confident in those ďstatisticsĒ... please re-read your quoted post. Think about it... And maybe donít post again in this thread. Probably best for all.

I do like the comparison of someone shooting a turkey with their bow to a frontal shot in a whitetail. Both have smaller lethal shot areas than a broadside deer, for example. Would yíall use a bow on a turkey? I have. Didnít recover at least one either... But Iíve killed a bunch of them

In the heat of the moment on public land itís an understandable shot IMO. Maybe not for everyone, but public hunting in general is tough and oftentimes you donít get many chances - or any (ask most of the hunters that were out there this wknd).

Thanks for taking us along hunters! For the neighboring private land lessees, I promise there are plenty of bucks to go around.
Attention bow hunters!!!! New curriculum for the 2020 bowhunter education course: In the heat of the moment on public land it is now acceptable to take crappy shots.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #469
Bb187
Nubbin' Buck

He was hunting about 60 yards from a feeder
Old 12-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #470
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb187 View Post
Are you the neighboring landowner?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #471
Bb187
Nubbin' Buck

One of them.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #472
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
One of them.
Was he hunting over yours or the neighbors feeder?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #473
Bb187
Nubbin' Buck

Mine
Old 12-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #474
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Thought they had a 200 yard private land rule at the refuge

Quote:
One of them.
You have game cam pics of said buck?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #475
perow
Pope & Young

Quote:
Mine
So are you the father or the son? How far off the fence is your feeder?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #476
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Mine
He was hunting over your feeder? Was he on private land?, or was in the Hagerman?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:09 PM   #477
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=751793 here’s a thread on here of a deer shot broadside and not recovered or dead. It happens on all types of shot angles. Your trying to hit the lungs or heart.
Killer is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #478
Bb187
Nubbin' Buck

I’ll be very clear. I spoke to him. Nice guy but he was 60 yards from my feeder and I don’t know what buck he shot.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #479
perow
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iíll be very clear. I spoke to him. Nice guy but he was 60 yards from my feeder and I donít know what buck he shot.
Just curious how far off the fence is your feeder?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #480
Bb187
Nubbin' Buck

He was on hagerman property. Albeit about 15 yards from the fence.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #481
Fajkus7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Conroe, Doss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Woodsman, I hate the fact that you lost this buck. When youíre hunting without feed, you will have to choose the first, best shot provided. Iíve taken 3 quartering to shots. 2 on big Kansas bucks, and one on a doe in Texas. All three were lethal and died within sight. Iíve lost more deer by waiting until the perfect IBEP shot presented itself. Rest easy, itís a deer, and there are over 4 million deer in Texas. Iím not promoting this shot, or minimizing losing a deer, but it happens everyday during the Texas deer season.
We donít agree on a lot of things said on this site, and most of the time I just let it go and donít respond because itís really not that big of a deal to me. I think you are spot on with this post though. Well said.
Fajkus7 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #482
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Your feeder is 60 yards from public land?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:13 PM   #483
Bb187
Nubbin' Buck

that’s what I said.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #484
perow
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Your feeder is 60 yards from public land?
No I think 45-he said he was 60from a feeder but 15 from the fence
Old 12-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #485
GoneSouth
Eight Point

What does a feeders range have to do with taking a poor shot?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #486
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
No I think 45-he said he was 60from a feeder but 15 from the fence
I saw that. Just putting 2and 2 together. I just hate that a guy gets bashed because he made a bad shot and lost a deer.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #487
perow
Pope & Young

Quote:
Have you ever lost an animal because of a bad shot? Why do you continue to bash someone, I just donít get that
Old 12-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #488
Bb187
Nubbin' Buck

I chimed in because I read multiple posts that mentioned “its public land and he wasn’t hunting over feed”. No politics here, just wanted the facts to all be posted and not one sided.

I have not heard how many deer were taken?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #489
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iíll be very clear. I spoke to him. Nice guy but he was 60 yards from my feeder and I donít know what buck he shot.
Why does any of that bother you? Itís legal.

I get it. I donít like folks hunting near our fence lines. But itís within their right to do so.

I assume you didnít find his buck? Will you let him have it if you do?
trophy8 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #490
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
I chimed in because I read multiple posts that mentioned ďits public land and he wasnít hunting over feedĒ. No politics here, just wanted the facts to all be posted and not one sided.

I donít see where he was hunting over feed?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #491
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Have you ever lost an animal because of a bad shot? Why do you continue to bash someone, I just donít get that

Some people are just jerks.. raised that way. Heíll keep kicking him until he passes out.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #492
Bb187
Nubbin' Buck

Yep, it’s legal. Never said it wasn’t. Never said it bothered me either. No dead deer on our land this weekend.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #493
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Honest question hoping for an honest answer. Have you ever lost a deer due to a bad shot?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #494
bcmuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson county/kansas

What the he77 is wrong with people?? This used to be a decent site, what’s up with all the criticism on this subject of a guy who shot a deer and tried valiantly to find him.
bcmuzzy is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #495
perow
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yep, itís legal. Never said it wasnít. Never said it bothered me either. No dead deer on our land this weekend.
At some point I would love to hear how the hunts have effected your hunting and how do you feel about TPWD taking over the draw next year?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #496
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmuzzy View Post
What the he77 is wrong with people?? This used to be a decent site, whatís up with all the criticism on this subject of a guy who shot a deer and tried valiantly to find him.

Seems to be getting worse every year... seriously, check the dates these jerks joined the site.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #497
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flufster View Post
Iíve only taken one. From a ground blind at 12 yards on a bang bang play. It was the most gruesome thing Iíve ever watched.

Ya but dead is dead!!

Swampa is online now   Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #498
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:

Doesn't sound like many... which is not unusual for seg C though.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #499
Bb187
Nubbin' Buck

I ask how many deer were harvested this year from hagerman because two things seem to be consistent from my knowledge. Less deer taken each year.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #500
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
No, but Iíve lost one from taking a good shot. Good shots can go bad for anyone, bad shots just go bad. When good shots go bad, thatís when we tell each other it happens to all of us at some point. When you make a bad shot and it goes bad, you need to be told so. Donít want to face the music for taking a frontal shot and wounding a deer, donít do it and post about it online
Closed Thread