Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding rod suggestions

Originally posted by gmj View Post
    Your right brute killer I don’t tig weld. I have welded tons of stuff with my wire feed including a disk that has held for a couple of years now. Was just thinking I might get better penetration with a stick. I learned on a stick welder, just been about 20years since I have had a need to use one.
    If Dale says wire will work I’ll crank it up and find out. Thanks everyone.

Some of these guys (Hogslayer, and Bboswell, at the least) know more than I do, and I’d use a stick if I had their skills. I’m just saying I wouldn’t hesitate if you have a big enough wire machine, and are confident in your skills. I can weld with a stick, but I’m more confident and consistent in the end product with wire, so that’s what I’d use. Clean it up really good, grind it out a little, and go in hot..likely a couple passes.

A good pic would sure help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-24-2023, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Gonna be a few weeks before I get back to the ranch but I’ll do it with my wire feed and test it out. If it doesn’t hold I haven’t lost anything but some time. Thanks everyone

Comment

Broke mounts off our armstrong ag grapple about 4 or 5 times. Bad design IMO. That ram puts allot of stress on the mount. It just can't handle it.

P5 & 7018. Burn it in hot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
            Broke mounts off our armstrong ag grapple about 4 or 5 times. Bad design IMO. That ram puts allot of stress on the mount. It just can't handle it.

P5 & 7018. Burn it in hot.

I have a big Miller 250 wire feed too. Don't have a problem laying the wood to her with some 70 wire either......

Comment

Comment

Comment

I didn’t take the time to really look at it before I got on the road this evening but my wife took a couple of pictures. Looks like it’s the weld that broke.

Comment

Looks like it’s been fixed before also.

Getting it cleaned up, and aligned, will be a trick. Could definitely benefit from some bracing and better load distribution, but it’s hard to tell exactly what I’m lookin at.

Comment

It hasn’t been fixed before I bought it new. I’m hoping it won’t have to be fixed again after I do it. I’m pretty rough on stuff so we will see

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                        Huh?
                        You think he can snap off and tig weld if asking "how-to" on here?
                        Do you not see where I said 7018 is the rod needed but I would tig weld it or have it tig welded. Why would you even consider running a 6010 pass then 7018 like some comments on here. That is for pipe......this is structural. A 6010 rod is 60,000 tensile strength vs a 7018 which is 70,000. I been welding for 27 yrs and do it for a living on exotic metals. I know a little bit about welding and half the stuff on here couldn't be farther from the truth.

Comment

I'd use a stick on Armstrong and get them to fix it or replace it.

Actually, they are pretty good on warranty repairs for their equipment....they are in Brenham.

Comment

7018 all the way. If you rip it off again, let me weld it.
                            Might have to reinforce it to keep from breaking it again.

Comment

7018 great rod...BUT requires oven they suck up moisture like a sponge...

Comment

Put that in the back of the truck and take it Armstrong Ag and have them warranty replace it or repair it. My heavy duty box blade broke a weld the first use and they replaced it with no questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X