No announcement yet.

Missing 18 year POC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lead end of a Barge in the ICW is absolute SILENT DEATH especially in the dark..
    I'll save my story.. This hits close to home.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
      Absolutely horrible all around. Why in the F don't boats use headlights? I know it is illegal but always seemed beyond ignorant law to me.
      Ive ran a few 100 miles of lake, bay and marsh in the dark. Fog and clear sky. IMO no light is better than any 90% of the time. ESPECIALLY THOSE IDIOTS WITH LIGHT BARS Bow light at most. Occasional spot light to verify position.

The first time I crossed east matty via gps was amazing. Zero light till we came off plane. hit the light and there was our marker.

Comment

Well I’ve spent my time on the water at night training people how to operate a boat at night. I have one rule I told everyone. At night drive only as fast as you’re willing to run into something unknown. Don’t drive by GPS. And know how to drive slowly by radar if you have it when in fog or no visibility.

It is a horrible situation. Boat operation unfortunately is mostly a self taught skill. There are very little rules or regulations for recreational boating. And for some reason people are very casual about boat operation and it is by far less forgiving when you make a mistake than driving a vehicle. Lights on a boat at night cause problems. Horrible night blindness and no traffic control markings or safety lighting.

I still drive at night often when fishing or gigging. I usually run on plane which is about 12 mph and if visibility or traffic is in the area I travel about half that so I am able to hear and react to any issues
        Last edited by glen; 01-30-2023, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          Ive ran a few 100 miles of lake, bay and marsh in the dark. Fog and clear sky. IMO no light is better than any 90% of the time. ESPECIALLY THOSE IDIOTS WITH LIGHT BARS Bow light at most. Occasional spot light to verify position.

The first time I crossed east matty via gps was amazing. Zero light till we came off plane. hit the light and there was our marker.
          This, a light blinds you rather than helps you

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I won't say what I think about light bars being allowed on boats.. But yea..

Comment

They have their place, and it's not on the console lol. But seriously, I agree 90% of the time they're not needed and you're better off with them with any ambient light around, but mine saved me from running over a kayaker with no lights a while back and they're great for maneuvering rough bays at night in my boat at least. Biggest problem I see is people putting them on the console, then as soon as they turn the light on they're stuck with it because their night vision is screwed from the reflection. On the bow I can flip it on for a bit if needed and back off and still see fine which allows for turning it off when other boats are around so as not to light them up.

That discussion is irrelevant here though as it seems the boat in this incident was disabled due to running out of fuel.

edit: Having a light bar is also very useful when an oncoming boat with a lightbar doesn't turn his off and is blinding that shat out of you.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                They have their place, and it's not on the console lol. But seriously, I agree 90% of the time they're not needed and you're better off with them with any ambient light around, but mine saved me from running over a kayaker with no lights a while back and they're great for maneuvering rough bays at night in my boat at least. Biggest problem I see is people putting them on the console, then as soon as they turn the light on they're stuck with it because their night vision is screwed from the reflection. On the bow I can flip it on for a bit if needed and back off and still see fine which allows for turning it off when other boats are around so as not to light them up.

That discussion is irrelevant here though as it seems the boat in this incident was disabled due to running out of fuel.

edit: Having a light bar is also very useful when an oncoming boat with a lightbar doesn't turn his off and is blinding that shat out of you.
                As a kayak owner, that dude is an idiot for being anywhere a boat can go in the dark

Similar story we found a guy way in the back of boggy in the airboat once. We didn't run him over but I think he was blown over cause he was flapping around in the mud. He also was an idiot cause he **** sure heard us

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post

Have qbeam handy for that plus I can shine qbeam right in der face

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post

That way ya have two blind knuckleheads [emoji16]

Comment

As a kayak owner, that dude is an idiot for being anywhere a boat can go in the dark

Similar story we found a guy way in the back of boggy in the airboat once. We didn't run him over but I think he was blown over cause he was flapping around in the mud. He also was an idiot cause he **** sure heard us

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                      We'd launched at Froggies headed out the little jetty around 11pm iirc, dude must have launched from The Fishing Center and either didn't see the boat coming (probably would have if I had my light bar on) or thought he could beat us. There's a cut right there across from Fishing Center and he was paddling his arse off trying to get across the ICW towards that cut. I always flip the light bar on briefly there to check for floating debri when the tide's moving and because lots of boats go in and out of that cut, and seen some without lights as well. I flipped the light on and there he was, very likely we would have clipped the back of his yak had I not made evasive maneuvers.

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post

So now with one hand tied up now not on throttle or wheel, how will you avoid hitting him when he's blinded and veers straight towards you? I don't like having a hand tied up like that, though I do keep a spotlight in the crate for backup.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        Well I’ve spent my time on the water at night training people how to operate a boat at night. I have one rule I told everyone. At night drive only as fast as you’re willing to run into something unknown. Don’t drive by GPS. And know how to drive slowly by radar if you have it when in fog or no visibility.

It is a horrible situation. Boat operation unfortunately is mostly a self taught skill. There are very little rules or regulations for recreational boating. And for some reason people are very casual about boat operation and it is by far less forgiving when you make a mistake than driving a vehicle. Lights on a boat at night cause problems. Horrible night blindness and no traffic control markings or safety lighting.

I still drive at night often when fishing or gigging. I usually run on plane which is about 12 mph and if visibility or traffic is in the area I travel about half that so I am able to hear and react to any issues

Been out at night a few times, very familiar areas, never felt I was in any danger, but it was not my favorite thing.
                        Been on the water a few times when that thick mid morning fog would roll in. I couldn’t beach the boat fast enough, sitting in a fog you couldn’t see 50yrds hearing another boat run wide open, I’d rather be on land.

I feel terrible for the young man and his family. Just going to have some good clean fun the same he’d probably done hundreds of times. Situations and weather can turn on you quick on the water, most times you make it out with another story.

Comment

Prayer sent they can find this young man. Sad deal

Comment

So sad. I run my lights no matter what the Law states. My life and kids life are more important than a stupid fine. I have never received any ticket or gotten pulled over for running my lights.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Comment

Very Sad. Prayers Sent for this Young Man and his Family. John 16:33. I am sure we all have a story or two of close calls running in the dark. I was lucky enough to have survived an accident when we flipped a boat over in the dark in Oyster Bayou on a duck hunt. Things happen in a blink of an eye that can change your life forever. I just pray they bring him home to his family and keep the search and recovery team safe in the process.

Comment

I keep checking back hoping for a miracle or at least closure for the family and friends. Today should be a good chance of recovery

Comment

Working...
                                X