Solar charging a 12v battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good Bill!!

I searched and could not find any video or tutorial of any kind for setting up the timer. I’m getting a 20X20 shed put in, and will be putting my solar setup on/in it. For the first time ever, I want to wire up a 12v LED light for the front of the shed that is connected to the load output, and with the timer set to turn it on in the evening and off in the morning.

I’ll keep looking for info on how to get it programmed, but if you figure it out first then let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
      Looking good Bill!!

I searched and could not find any video or tutorial of any kind for setting up the timer. I’m getting a 20X20 shed put in, and will be putting my solar setup on/in it. For the first time ever, I want to wire up a 12v LED light for the front of the shed that is connected to the load output, and with the timer set to turn it on in the evening and off in the morning.

I’ll keep looking for info on how to get it programmed, but if you figure it out first then let me know!
      Thanks, David. I'll keep looking around too. I programmed some times for both timers but not sure if it's correct. I'll find out at 8 AM.

Comment

I am now completely setup running on two times for on/off every day. I will likely add a second battery in parallel at some point but will first test the capacity on the current setup on a cloudy day.

Been a great discovery/learning experience with a technology I have never explored.

Thanks again to those that helped.

Comment

Today will likely be the first day I see how long the battery will last before the charge controller turns the system off for not enough charge left. It has been working great and the timers do exactly what I had in mind. Comes on in the morning and shuts off midday to fully charge the battery then back on mid afternoon and off again around 7:45 PM. Leaves plenty of battery to start early prior to repeating the charging cycle.

I am likely going to add a second battery but I believe I will need a stronger solar panel. I would be good at 50 watts. Can these panels be run in parallel to increase the charge capability? In series? Experts?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
            Today will likely be the first day I see how long the battery will last before the charge controller turns the system off for not enough charge left. It has been working great and the timers do exactly what I had in mind. Comes on in the morning and shuts off midday to fully charge the battery then back on mid afternoon and off again around 7:45 PM. Leaves plenty of battery to start early prior to repeating the charging cycle.

I am likely going to add a second battery but I believe I will need a stronger solar panel. I would be good at 50 watts. Can these panels be run in parallel to increase the charge capability? In series? Experts?

It’s good to hear that it’s working Bill!!

As far as adding more/bigger panels go, yes you would probably be good at 50 watts with adding another battery. You could either buy a 50 watt panel and wire it in parallel with the 25 watt panel, or buy another 25 watt panel in which case you could wire it in series or parallel. Two identical panels will be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but a 50 watt and 25 watt panel will put out a couple more amps. In my opinion, if a 50 watt panel is less than the cost of two 25 watt panels then I would just buy the 50 watt panel. You could then either wire the 25 and 50 watt panel up to the charge controller, or just wire up the 50 watt panel and keep the 25 watt panel for another project.

You can wire panels of different voltages in series but not in parallel. You can wire panels of the same voltage in series or parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
              It’s good to hear that it’s working Bill!!

As far as adding more/bigger panels go, yes you would probably be good at 50 watts with adding another battery. You could either buy a 50 watt panel and wire it in parallel with the 25 watt panel, or buy another 25 watt panel in which case you could wire it in series or parallel. Two identical panels will be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but a 50 watt and 25 watt panel will put out a couple more amps. In my opinion, if a 50 watt panel is less than the cost of two 25 watt panels then I would just buy the 50 watt panel. You could then either wire the 25 and 50 watt panel up to the charge controller, or just wire up the 50 watt panel and keep the 25 watt panel for another project.

You can wire panels of different voltages in series but not in parallel. You can wire panels of the same voltage in series or parallel.
              I'll be investigating and have started reading up on the subject. I haven't found a 50w that I want to use so I am considering a matching 25. My current one shows max current 1.4 amps but I'm not sure if that is what I want increased.

I have also read I can run an larger capacity ah battery with my 9 ah battery without a problem. Not sure how that works yet powerwise.
              Last edited by Bill M; 05-07-2023, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X