Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many shells in the tube for pheasant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many shells in the tube for pheasant?

Hunted the panhandle for pheasant in college. The boys that grew up there hunted them like dove, only 2 in the mag and 1 chambered.

I’ve always thought/pondered that I could load as many as I wanted...or at least up to 4 and 1. They are not a migratory bird. IMO, they are no different than quail.

Am I right or wrong?

You are right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You are right in Texas. Not sure about other states.

Comment

You are correct. But, if you don't hit them by the second shot, your 3rd and 4th shot are wasted shots. Those little *******s are like rockets.

Comment

Yep - load it up and the same in Kansas.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
            You are correct. But, if you don't hit them by the second shot, your 3rd and 4th shot are wasted shots. Those little *******s are like rockets.
            The 3rd and 4th shots are for the one that gets up after you've watched the 1st one cross the county line.

Comment

No plug requires foe upland (pheasant or quail), but I’ve never removed the plug. Like others have said, the 3rd & 4th shells just **** you off more than anything, if you didn’t hit them in the 1st 2. And it’s not worth removing and chancing forgetting during dove and getting popped by the game warden.

Comment

Yes in Texas you’re allowed as many shells in the gun as you want. It’s not a bad idea to pull your plug because those suckers are tough. Unless you kill them stone dead in the air you better be ready to put some follow ups in them when they try to run off.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                  Yes in Texas you’re allowed as many shells in the gun as you want. It’s not a bad idea to pull your plug because those suckers are tough. Unless you kill them stone dead in the air you better be ready to put some follow ups in them when they try to run off.
                  X2. I've shot more than a couple running after I knocked em down. In NJ, all the way back to the 70's, you had to have a plug, 3 max.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    No plug requires foe upland (pheasant or quail), but I’ve never removed the plug. Like others have said, the 3rd & 4th shells just **** you off more than anything, if you didn’t hit them in the 1st 2. And it’s not worth removing and chancing forgetting during dove and getting popped by the game warden.
                    Exactly right. Not worth the ticket getting caught chasing dove or ducks later with the same shotgun.

Comment

pretty sure you can have as many shells in your gun as it can hold. Hunted with a guy once with 9+1 lol.

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER View Post
                        pretty sure you can have as many shells in your gun as it can hold. Hunted with a guy once with 9+1 lol.
                        Benelli extension tubes rule!!! I use mine on tundra rats!!! I only use 3 in South Dakota on pheasant as it is much more sporting.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

They are not migratory, they are also not native. So I would not worry about a plug in your gun. Most of my life, I though pheasant were native to North America, I read may years ago, that pheasant hunting is big in Korea, and was baffled they had pheasant over there also. Then about 10 years ago, I found out that pheasant were imported over here years ago, from Korea.
                          Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 02-22-2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                            Exactly right. Not worth the ticket getting caught chasing dove or ducks later with the same shotgun.
                            This right here. About 25 years ago I got a ticket for an unplugged gun I let a buddy borrow when he came duck hunting with us. I'd taken the plug out for hog hunting and didn't even think about it. Since it was my gun I asked the GW to give me the ticket instead, wasn't the buddy's fault. Since then I never take the plug out of anything because I don't want a repeat of that happening.
                            edit: I think it was actually a warning now that I'm trying to remember, either way same result in my mind.

Comment

I went on a pheasant hunt in the panhandle in 1996. The night before it had rained and frozen, then it snowed. The grass had blown over and frozen forming tunnels. Those birds would run through the tunnels until they reached the end of the row or they hit a dead end. Then they would literally explode almost straight up and then go straight away at amazing speeds. Was a blast.

Comment

Working...
                              X