Thoughts on this 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this 10

I have three years worth of pics with this guy. Other than putting on an extra point last year he hasn’t shown much promise. Age wise I’m sitting at 4.5 to 5.5. His brows are weak, tine length is weak. The beams aren’t horrible but that’s about all he’s got going his way and overall he’s 11 points. Trying to decide if letting him go is gonna benefit the herd in any way or if he’s gonna make any significant growth.

Ranch info. Low fence, new overall management strategy other than what the hunters practice. (Overall try to let young bucks reach maturity though) not protein fed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where I hunt he would be called 4.5 max. He would probably be on the hit list.

Comment

Only reason I even considered the 5-5.5 range is the 2018 pics I have, but I’m not 100% sure the 2018 buck is the exact same one. But he’s mighty close. I need to get the picture onto my phone so I can upload it for the green screen.

Edit: This is hill country also.
      Last edited by SwampBuck; 12-18-2020, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Low fence place I’m not shooting him unless I’m sure he’s mature. Since you think he may be 4 then he gets a pass. Shooting him changes nothing genetic wise on a low fence place so there is no benefit to shooting him now except taking his mouth off the place. I’d let him walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
          Low fence place I’m not shooting him unless I’m sure he’s mature. Since you think he may be 4 then he gets a pass. Shooting him changes nothing genetic wise on a low fence place so there is no benefit to shooting him now except taking his mouth off the place. I’d let him walk.
          Good point. And I generally agree
          My only concern as of late is this guys shown himself to be a bully with younger more promising bucks. Wasn’t sure if taking him out would keep my younger bucks from getting pushed away.
          Last edited by SwampBuck; 12-18-2020, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Looks like an average young HC buck. Won’t make a drop in the bucket if he’s shot or walks. 3 years old.

Comment

Doesn't look very old. So you think he could be 4, and have 3 years of pics? Did he look like a 2 year old when you started getting pics? Regardless, I'd let him walk and not give it a second thought.

"Only reason I even considered the 5-5.5 range is the 2018 pics I have"
              - Can't be 5 or 5.5. Gotta pic one. You either say he's 4 or 5...or you say he's 4.5 or 5.5. I get tired of saying the .5, so I just use whole numbers. Just a tiny pet peeve...carry on.

Comment

I’m going to dig the 2018 pic up. IF it is the same deer he didn’t look like a 2 year old.
                That picture is the only thing that makes me think maybe this guy isn’t a 4 like I had originally figured on.

And yes I know the .5 is a pet peeve for people. Honestly it’s a habit thing for me that admittedly I’ve tried to break.

Comment

I see a good young buck.

To kill/not kill would be if I really wanted a 10 or if he’s big for your area...
                  I’ve been on leases that just didn’t see 10s, so if he made it in front of another Hunter he was shot just for that reason alone...

Me, I’d pass & take the chance on getting him next year...great deer either way.

Comment

I see a 4yr old, wouldn't shoot.

Comment

2018 pictures. Again, I’m not a full 100% positive it’s the exact same buck but the beams and brows and overal shape lead me to believe it is. 2018 was the first year he popped up.

Last year I took more note and thought he would show some potential so he got the pass

This year he doesn’t seem to have done much.

I’m all for letting him walk if that’s the general thought for him, I just have better deer around and at this point I’m literally letting everything walk this year with the exception of two bucks but neither of which have been seen much at all. Both of them are no brainers to me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

IMO not the same buck

Comment

That does help some.

I have to turn to the green screen for help most of the time when I question a buck. The guys around camp aren’t much help in that aspect, if it’s not a deer they’re seeing they could care less.

My thoughts at the beginning of the season for this buck was that he is a 4 year old and gets a pass. But after looking back at some old pictures and looking these over from 2018 it’s been having me questioning my judgement.

Comment

I don't think its the same deer.

Comment

He looks like the same buck to me.. Man I don't know.. Some of these small framed hill country deer can fool you.. They can be 6-7 and look 3-4.. Ive seen this on our place in Brady.. We kill a 110 pound, "4 year old", six point, and upon tooth inspection he looks 10..

Comment

Working...
                              X