.308 Match Rounds ....... Disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.308 Match Rounds ....... Disappointed

Broke out some .308 match rounds today and shot. Best they could do was 2-1/4" groupings. I broke out the remmy 158 gr and 1-1/8" groupings.

What grain match? What twist on rifle

Comment

Hmm, match doesn't equal match in all rifles. When manufacturers make ammo I think by match they mean precise loadings. Accurate powder charges is usually a starting place.
      Then sometimes they will throw in match primers, load in lots depending on bullet weights,
      And they will also use higher quality cases in some match loads.

Comment

Rifles are picky about ammo just like guys are picky about beer, trucks, and bow manufacturers.

Comment

No its a common known load that works across a majority of weapons.

Comment

I have a 700 Tactical in 308 and it don't care for match ammo. It loves Hornady sst 150s. Now it'll shoot match ok, but nothing like the sst. Yes, match ammo is made under tighter tolerances for every component of the round as a whole.

Comment

I know thats what it is, mine don't like the match ammo. I put it through my ar-10 same thing , it didn't like it. Switched back to test normal ammo I use, AR was 3/4"

Not saying they are junk for everyone but definately mine don't like them.

Comment

I'm actually happy to pay less for what mine likes. Now, I'm sure there are some match reloads that might work through my rifle, I'm just not into reloading.

Comment

Like it was said before "match" doesn't mean you will get the best performance. There are a 100+ factors that determine what kind of ammo you rifle likes best, twist rate, barrel length, action of the rifle, the powder, the primers, the casings.

What ammo is it? What is the weight?

I wouldnt think its the quality of the rounds leading to the performance as much as your rifle doesn't like that weight ammo.
                  Last edited by sutherpride59; 11-01-2015, 08:43 PM.

Comment

If it's federal gold medal match and it only shoots 2+ inches you are certainly in the minority

Comment

Originally posted by sutherpride59 View Post
                      Like it was said before "match" doesn't mean you will get the best performance. There are a 100+ factors that determine what kind of ammo you rifle likes best, twist rate, barrel length, action of the rifle, the powder, the primers, the casings.

What ammo is it? What is the weight?

I wouldnt think its the quality of the rounds leading to the performance as much as your rifle doesn't like that weight ammo.
                      They were the Federal Gold Metal Match 168 gr.

My bolt and my AR were shot in on 168 gr, just not the FGMM
                      My guns don't like it.

Comment

What bolt rifle and which AR?

Comment

Originally posted by hcshooter View Post
                          They were the Federal Gold Metal Match 168 gr.

My bolt and my AR were shot in on 168 gr, just not the FGMM
                          My guns don't like it.
                          Try 175's

Comment

I am so lost, you said the were "shot in on 168gr" but you also said you "broke out the remmy 158 gr and 1-1/8" groupings".

I'm assuming your saying that you have shot better groupings with 168gr ammo of other makes than with this FGMM.

Comment

Originally posted by sutherpride59 View Post
                              I am so lost, you said the were "shot in on 168gr" but you also said you "broke out the remmy 158 gr and 1-1/8" groupings".

I'm assuming your saying that you have shot better groupings with 168gr ammo of other makes than with this FGMM.
                              Apologize as that was a typo, I never noticed until you pointed it out, should have read 168.

Comment

Working...
                              X