Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else not interested in the technical aspects of archery/tuning/etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else not interested in the technical aspects of archery/tuning/etc?

I was discussing this with a friend and new bowhunter last week, and the arrow building thread had me wondering if I'm alone.

I started hunting with a bow in the late 90's and have loved it ever since. Love to hunt and love to shoot. That said, I have never been able to get myself interested in the minutiae of tuning, building arrows, tinkering with different sight and rest setups, and so forth.

I have subscribed to YouTube channels, read the equipment and tuning forum here, and a handful of other avenues to get that fire burning. Never works. May also be why I keep my bows forever.

On the other hand, I never tire of the animal/scouting/tactics side of things. That is something I think about year round.

Anyone else this way?

I am the same way. Could give 2 shets about all that

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      I am the same way. Could give 2 shets about all that
      x3

I started with no sights. Shot a 1989 compound (bear I think) with no sights and the little flipper rest.

Upgraded a few times since but never learned how to tinker, tune etc.

Comment

I tried to get into it, but it wasn't to be.
        IMO, if I can hit a tennis ball at 20 yards, that's good enough for what I do.

Comment

Same for me as well

Comment

I'm pretty much the same. I enjoy bow hunting, being close to the animals, the challenge of it, but not really into the technical side. I shoot a plain jane older bow with run of the mill arrows and broadheads. It's been tuned and stacks them where I want them. I couldn't tell you the weight to the nearest grain, the FOC, don't care about getting every FPS, it just works like it is. We all have different things we geek out on. Most people don't know an IH V8 has timing set off of cylinder #8 instead of #1.

Comment

I tune enough to be proficient at killin stuff. Then I'm done...

Comment

Yeah I could care less. The arrows and bolts I buy from Academy have never not killed what I shot at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m not an equipment junkie. I bow hunt 99% of the time now but I don’t try and dive too much into the technical aspects of things beyond what is proven to be accurate and kill animals

Comment

Not being able to do work on or tune a bow can ruin a very expensive hunt. We packed in with llamas 14 miles for a elk hunt in Idaho and also had wolf tag in the event we saw one during the hunt. Wolf were spotted crossing in a meadow and we were able to get 50 yards out for a shot. I was pulling arrow from quiver to knock on string while watching the wolf and accidently dragged across cable slicing it halfway in two rendering my bow unshootable. To get to a bow shop wasn't an option. Luckily I plan for the worst and had extra cable, string and portable press in truck at trailhead so I could fix in field and only lost 1 day of hunt. I know its not as fun as scouting animals and setups but it's a necessary skill that all should know in the event a bowshop isn't an option.

Comment

I killed my first 17 deer with a Bear Whitetail Hunter and have every type and size arrow I could find. Nothing matched and didn't use sights. I pull my bow out a couple weeks before season now and shoot a few arrows and call it good. I found I don't have to work on my equipment near as often as I did when I shot year round.

Comment

I approve this thread. Hunted with shotguns and rifles for about 56 years. Bow hunted now for 34 years. Don’t know how to tweek any of em. I prefer to pay a professional other than sighting in.

Comment

I am the same. I love to shoot. I love to hunt. I don't care about the technical aspect. I did have my bow string break on a bear hunt in Canada last May. It was the last day of the hunt so it didn't matter but it could have. My brother in law likes to reload for his rifles. He is really encouraging me to get in to it. I just don't think I have the focus and detail for that either.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                            I tune enough to be proficient at killin stuff. Then I'm done...

Have you ever killed a decent buck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

CCR takes care of the technical side of the bow for me.... I tried but I just don't have time to jack with all that these days. Plus they are much better at it than me and it gives me an opportunity to harass FND and Kyle...

I take care of getting my quarry within range and shooting proficiently so I can trip the trigger on their handywork..

Comment

Working...
                              X