2022 Thermal and Night Vision thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
    So there is a bit of confusion there. That's not how the Adder works but it is how the Bolt or Pulsar Thermions work. See the Adder has a long internal battery life but to use the removable battery (CR123) you MUST have the battery in the scope before the internal battery dies. Once the internal battery dies you can't turn the scope on from the CR123. It doesn't have the power to start the scope but it has the power to run it. So once that CR123 goes dead along with the internal, the scope is done until it's plugged into a power source to be re-charged enough to run the internal battery again. Also the CR123 is not used by the scope until the internal battery is already dead. So the CR123 is literally a last ditch effort to get you an hour or so more of run time.

On the other hand, the Bolt and Thermions use the removable battery FIRST and the internal battery last. So you can feed those scopes removable batteries until you run out of them. And it doesn't matter if the internal battery is already dead, the removable batteries will still power up and run the scope with no issue. So when it comes to batteries, the Bolts and Thermions actually hold a edge. For guys that aren't hunting very long hours like you're talking about, the Adder is great.

So again, nothing wrong with the Adder and it does have an internal battery that last a few hours longer than the Bolt but the removable battery setup is a little finicky and can basically only be used as a very short lasting emergency gas tank.

I know that's confusing but hopefully it makes sense. If not, just let me know.

Thanks for the kind words, we're always glad to help and if anyone is looking for a scope or needing help deciding exactly which model works for them, give Hans or myself a call. (877)350-1818

Jason
    So, if you're dropping $3K on a thermal tomorrow it's going to be the IRay TL35? Or is there something else you like better?

My FIL has the Trail XP50 which is great, but hoping to not drop quite that much. I have a few black guns and a can, but really want a .308 for knockdown.

Looking at POF, but could be convinced otherwise if people like something better for pig killing.

Comment

So there is a bit of confusion there. That's not how the Adder works but it is how the Bolt or Pulsar Thermions work. See the Adder has a long internal battery life but to use the removable battery (CR123) you MUST have the battery in the scope before the internal battery dies. Once the internal battery dies you can't turn the scope on from the CR123. It doesn't have the power to start the scope but it has the power to run it. So once that CR123 goes dead along with the internal, the scope is done until it's plugged into a power source to be re-charged enough to run the internal battery again. Also the CR123 is not used by the scope until the internal battery is already dead. So the CR123 is literally a last ditch effort to get you an hour or so more of run time.

On the other hand, the Bolt and Thermions use the removable battery FIRST and the internal battery last. So you can feed those scopes removable batteries until you run out of them. And it doesn't matter if the internal battery is already dead, the removable batteries will still power up and run the scope with no issue. So when it comes to batteries, the Bolts and Thermions actually hold a edge. For guys that aren't hunting very long hours like you're talking about, the Adder is great.

So again, nothing wrong with the Adder and it does have an internal battery that last a few hours longer than the Bolt but the removable battery setup is a little finicky and can basically only be used as a very short lasting emergency gas tank.

I know that's confusing but hopefully it makes sense. If not, just let me know.

Thanks for the kind words, we're always glad to help and if anyone is looking for a scope or needing help deciding exactly which model works for them, give Hans or myself a call. (877)350-1818

Jason
      That makes perfect sense. You just sold me a Bolt. That's the one I'm gonna go with. Hopefully I can get one before they sell out of them.

Awesome information Jason, again I appreciate you taking the time to share all of the knowledge you have on these things.

Comment

Originally posted by quackNthwack View Post
        So, if you're dropping $3K on a thermal tomorrow it's going to be the IRay TL35? Or is there something else you like better?

My FIL has the Trail XP50 which is great, but hoping to not drop quite that much. I have a few black guns and a can, but really want a .308 for knockdown.

Looking at POF, but could be convinced otherwise if people like something better for pig killing.
        Great question. I think it really depends on what you're going to be doing with it. There are a lot of great scopes under $3,000 these days and even though the Bolt TL35 has the best image quality of the lot it's definitely not always the correct choice. First off it's a 3x base mag which is a lot more than many people, especially hog hunters, want or need. Again, this can depend on terrain, the hunting method (spot/stalk, feeders etc). There are some really nice scopes under $2,500 like Rattlers, Bering Hogster Vibe 25 etc. And we can't forget the new Pulsar Talion XQ38 that is fantastic and by FAR one of my favorites.

So honestly, the scope I'd choose would be totally dependent on what I'm personally doing and I might suggest something totally different for you. The mistake that is so easy to fall into is believing that one scope is "better" so it must be the "best" choice. The thermals we sell are tools and they each have their own strong points that makes them stand out in some way from the others. If scope brings nothing new, different, better or offers nothing unique, we don't have much interest in it. So it all boils down to me knowing exactly how someone is going to use the scope and a whole slough of other info like, shooting distances, terrain, weather conditions, rifle setup(s), options needed/wanted etc.

I'd suggest giving us a call when you're ready to narrow it down and Hans or I will be glad to ask some questions and help you narrow it down to one or two options that fit exactly what you're wanting to do!

Sorry for the non-answer but I hope that helps explain why.

Thanks!

Jason

Comment

Great question. I think it really depends on what you're going to be doing with it. There are a lot of great scopes under $3,000 these days and even though the Bolt TL35 has the best image quality of the lot it's definitely not always the correct choice. First off it's a 3x base mag which is a lot more than many people, especially hog hunters, want or need. Again, this can depend on terrain, the hunting method (spot/stalk, feeders etc). There are some really nice scopes under $2,500 like Rattlers, Bering Hogster Vibe 25 etc. And we can't forget the new Pulsar Talion XQ38 that is fantastic and by FAR one of my favorites.

So honestly, the scope I'd choose would be totally dependent on what I'm personally doing and I might suggest something totally different for you. The mistake that is so easy to fall into is believing that one scope is "better" so it must be the "best" choice. The thermals we sell are tools and they each have their own strong points that makes them stand out in some way from the others. If scope brings nothing new, different, better or offers nothing unique, we don't have much interest in it. So it all boils down to me knowing exactly how someone is going to use the scope and a whole slough of other info like, shooting distances, terrain, weather conditions, rifle setup(s), options needed/wanted etc.

I'd suggest giving us a call when you're ready to narrow it down and Hans or I will be glad to ask some questions and help you narrow it down to one or two options that fit exactly what you're wanting to do!

Sorry for the non-answer but I hope that helps explain why.

Thanks!

Jason

Very helpful. When work slows down a bit, I'll be doing just that.

Comment

What would you guys recommend for a scanner. Thinking of starting with a thermal scanner to begin with. To pair with my NV scope.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
              What would you guys recommend for a scanner. Thinking of starting with a thermal scanner to begin with. To pair with my NV scope.
              What is your approximate budget and what sort of terrain are you in, how far will you be looking etc.

Jason

Comment

What is your approximate budget and what sort of terrain are you in, how far will you be looking etc.

Jason
                East texas. 500 ish yards and in. Don’t have any idea on budget. Under 2k

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                  East texas. 500 ish yards and in. Don’t have any idea on budget. Under 2k
                  $2,000 and under I'd look really hard at these two....

Pulsar Axion 2 XQ35 $1,999
                  Description Pulsar’s pocket-sized Axion 2 XQ35 Pro thermal monocular has received an upgrade. With a new 384x288 microbolometer sensor boasting a highly refined thermal sensitivity of <25mK, the new Axion 2 XQ35 Pro can detect more subtle changes in infrared heat from over 1400 yards away, resulting in unprecedented

iRay Cabin CBL19 $1,799
                  Description The InfiRay Outdoor Cabin Series is a compact and powerful optic that operates easily with one hand. The CABIN is available with multiple lens options and its 50Hz 12 μm Micro II sensor featuring InfiRay’s next generation MATRIX III processing ensures an unmatched viewing experience on it’s HD display. Stan

You can drop down below these into the $1,500-$1,600 range and you'll take a hit on image quality or have a non-removable rechargeable battery. You can drop down below $1,500 and take a bigger hit on image quality AND have a non-removable rechargeable battery. I'm not saying either of those things are the end of the world but I'm just letting you know what the different price ranges will get you.

Feel free to call us if you'd like to talk in more detail about handhelds.

Comment

Question for the experts.

Since we now now how good the Talion XQ38 is; (The battery life is actually 7 hours and not the 9 hours they initially said, not sure the actual Battery life on Thermion 2 XQ38 is... and the only big difference is the image quality at more than 175+ Yards)

Would y'all recommend the Talion XQ38 for roughly $2600 or The Thermion 2 XQ38 for roughly $3400?

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post

Since we now now how good the Talion XQ38 is; (The battery life is actually 7 hours and not the 9 hours they initially said, not sure the actual Battery life on Thermion 2 XQ38 is... and the only big difference is the image quality at more than 175+ Yards)

Would y'all recommend the Talion XQ38 for roughly $2600 or The Thermion 2 XQ38 for roughly $3400?
                      just get one of the iray rico rs75's.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                        I have been making a few custom wood coyote calls here the last couple months for friends and family. Mostly closed reed distress, just playing around on the wood lathe. I sure do like killing coyotes with calls I have made myself. Here are a couple pics of a few of the coyotes we have killed with my calls and the calls we used.

What kind of scope are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post

Yes my Talion battery bench test was 7hrs 12mins. VERY impressive for a $80 removable battery and the only thermal scope under $3,300 to have a removable/rechargeable battery.

The Thermion 2 XQ38 is discontinued and has been replaced by the Thermion 2 XQ35 Pro. My bench test on it was 9hrs 53mins with both the internal non-removable battery and the removable APS2 battery.

My answer to which I'd recommend comes down to the budget since they are both the exact same 2.5x base magnification. The XQ35 absolutely has a significantly better image quality and ID range and that's a huge plus even if you aren't shooting over 100-200 yards. But if you prefer the sub-$3,000 price, the Talion offers a lot of value for the dollar and it will definitely get the job done inside of 200 yards.

At the end of the day, the decision is going to be made on money. If you won the lottery there is no reason to buy the Talion over the Thermion 2 XQ35 Pro but at the same time, most of didn't win the lottery so budgets and wise spending are still a real thing.

Here is our review of both scopes for those who haven't seen them...

Jason

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTbsIdZF4kc"]Ep. 236 | Pulsar Thermion 2 XQ35 Pro **Review** - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERRELY3Po1g"]Ep. 224 | Pulsar Talion XQ38 **FEATURED REVIEW** - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                            just get one of the iray rico rs75's.

HA!!! The first RS75's are supposed to be in our warehouse by the end of the week. The first two shipments are all pre-sold but we might get him one on the third round.

Comment

Yes my Talion battery bench test was 7hrs 12mins. VERY impressive for a $80 removable battery and the only thermal scope under $3,300 to have a removable/rechargeable battery.

The Thermion 2 XQ38 is discontinued and has been replaced by the Thermion 2 XQ35 Pro. My bench test on it was 9hrs 53mins with both the internal non-removable battery and the removable APS2 battery.

My answer to which I'd recommend comes down to the budget since they are both the exact same 2.5x base magnification. The XQ35 absolutely has a significantly better image quality and ID range and that's a huge plus even if you aren't shooting over 100-200 yards. But if you prefer the sub-$3,000 price, the Talion offers a lot of value for the dollar and it will definitely get the job done inside of 200 yards.

At the end of the day, the decision is going to be made on money. If you won the lottery there is no reason to buy the Talion over the Thermion 2 XQ35 Pro but at the same time, most of didn't win the lottery so budgets and wise spending are still a real thing.

Here is our review of both scopes for those who haven't seen them...

Jason

Ep. 236 | Pulsar Thermion 2 XQ35 Pro **Review** - YouTube

Ep. 224 | Pulsar Talion XQ38 **FEATURED REVIEW** - YouTube
                              As always, THANK YOU!

Comment

Acostades, my primary is a Thermion XQ50 that I got from Jason probably 3-3.5 years ago, my backup/scanner/lightweight pig gun optic is an AGM TS35 Varmint LRF. BTW, that is not my gun in the picture above, that is my friends rifle who was hunting with me that night. Those are calls that I made though.

Comment

Working...
                                X